Sign in to follow this  

XRhunny Frame or Susp. swap? Whatcha think?

Ok, I've got my lil 97 XR100 that is pretty beat, especially hauling my XL bum around.

This is my ride with the kiddos/""race" with my son" SM machine. Since I torched my ankle and said buh-bye to my 450 (gotta pay med bills and make wifey happy) I am going to mod the lil100 a touch or two.

First idea, picked up a 00 KX 100 chassis. Was thinking of modding the frame to fit the XR motor and be happily on my way but...the kx doesn't have a tank, seat, etc. Plastic, er, ok, mainly the tank and seat are hard to come by in my price range, ie. dirt cheap (trying to keep this under $500 total).

So then started grindin' the gears in my noggin and thought hmm, the xr already has all the plastic...the forks would be easy swap, swingarm looks pretty close, I'll need to cut the old shock mount and put a new one on the frame.

Just wondering how (bad) the XR frame will handle since the longer forks will rake out the front a bit and if it'll hold up to the increased pounding of being able to hit stuff harder but then the increase in pounding would be because the suspension is better.....hmmmm.

Thoughts? opinions?

It will handle much better with the stiffer susp.... Your not really raking it out further, your just adding length the current rake.... Do a search on this topic. There are quite a few people who have done similiar projects with great results.

I've seen many of the XR motor into CR chassis projects, in fact did a XL125 into KX125 chassis about 20years ago (Crikey, I'm gettin' OLD!!!! :bonk: ).

I'm guessing the XR frame will hold up fine as I'm not launching jumps like I used too. Mainly was wanting better suspension and the disc brakes.

I need to do some before, during and after pics too.

Thanks for the comments, anyone else?