Sign in to follow this  

a question on hondas

i have the 2006 crf250 and i was wondering you they have the two oil chambers??? wouldnt it just be easier to have one chamber becuase the less moving parts the better and yamaha has only one chamber and there bikes seem to run just as good as the hondas??

i have the 2006 crf250 and i was wondering you they have the two oil chambers??? wouldnt it just be easier to have one chamber becuase the less moving parts the better and yamaha has only one chamber and there bikes seem to run just as good as the hondas??

yes the engine and tranny oil are separated. And no it is not better to have one. First of all, it does not mean more moving parts. It means that the transmission oil that has wont contaminate the engine oil...

• Like 1

Thats a silly question.One or two chambers has nothing to do with how a bike performs or moving parts.Think about it?Two chambers in my opinion are better.Less oil contamination in the crank case from clutch plates.

Honda is the only bike of the big 5 (pretty sure) that has two oil chambers. I don’t care for it too much. I think it is a lot simpler to have just one oil to change. I’m not real sure the reason behind it because all the other bikes seem to be just fine with one oil for the motor and trans.

maybe because if you shear a gear or fibers from the clutch dont get into the engine sides and really start fooking her up :bonk:

Your clutch will last longer also. I like having the transmission oil seperate from the engine because I feel it is better for the bike in the long run.

maybe because if you shear a gear or fibers from the clutch dont get into the engine sides and really start fooking her up :bonk:

That’s a good point. If something goes wrong with the tranny at least it keeps any metal from entering the bottom end of the motor.

That's why the engine oil comes out so pretty. The transmission miht have some particles from clutch wear and it's nice to know they are separate. The Honda engine is for the working man:ride:

That's why the engine oil comes out so pretty. The transmission miht have some particles from clutch wear and it's nice to know they are separate. The Honda engine is for the working man:ride:

Yep, when I change my oils, the engine comes out looking like it did out of the bottle, and the transmission turns a blackish/brown color w/ some silver specs. I'm glad that the two are seperate.:bonk:

And it gives you the option of running like an 80/85w tranny oil in the clutch side which i think is pretty cool.

And you can use Moly based oils in the engine side which are much more slippery then other oils. You can't use them in combined oil bikes because they would cause the clutch to slip.

Takes a bit longer to change the oil but well worth it in my opinion.

It ain't quite the same situation, but automotive engines have separate oil compartments for the engine and tranny. There are lots of good reasons to do this and Honda chose to do it this way. So an oil change takes 5 minutes longer. Big deal.

I own both, Yami and Honda. I really think Honda has the way to go on the separate oil. It's so much better for the engine side not to have the clutch spinning around and wearing off into the same oil which goes to the bearings for the crank. Check out the recommended oil change intervals on the two manufacturers. The honda can truly go many times over on the oil where the yami has to be drained.

maybe because if you shear a gear or fibers from the clutch dont get into the engine sides and really start fooking her up 👍

Exactly. On my Yamaha the clutch plates went through the whole engine completely trashing it.