Sign in to follow this  

tires for drz

i'm still a new rider...due to slipping so much offroad, i just got my tires changed from the stock "deathwings" to the pirelli mt 18s. when i rode home from the dealership, i felt the tires slip a little so i went very slow (like 35 mph on street). then i took it out offroading and it was even more slippery than the deathwings! the tires look great and i was surprised it didnt handle well on the dirt. it did ok on very hard dirt roads though. am i supposed to change the tire pressure when changing from street to dirt? if so, can someone explain exactly how to do that? thanks for your help!!!!

New tires frequently take a bit of wearing in before they loose that initial greasiness. As for pressure I run 16-18 if I'm going to be doing both on and off road riding. I assume you know how to check the air pressure and add or release some as needed.

Yes you should air down for the dirt. There aren't very many tires that will perform as well on the pavement as the deathwings do. Check your tire pressure for the pevement.

New tires frequently take a bit of wearing in before they loose that initial greasiness. As for pressure I run 16-18 if I'm going to be doing both on and off road riding. I assume you know how to check the air pressure and add or release some as needed.

+1 to that.

thanks for the help. i just lowered the tire pressure from like 27 to 17. is 17 about right for the dirt? also if i'm going to be riding on the pavement (only a mile or so) do i need to raise the air pressure? thanks again...

thanks for the help. i just lowered the tire pressure from like 27 to 17. is 17 about right for the dirt? also if i'm going to be riding on the pavement (only a mile or so) do i need to raise the air pressure? thanks again...

I think 17 will be just fine depending on your conditions. Less pressure = more traction and more pinch flats:crazy: 12-14 psi sure does feel good but you will get tired of getting pinch flats in rocky off-road conditions. Experiment with different pressures and feel the difference in the bike, it is quite dramatic. For off-road riding I usually run 17 to 18 which means I take the turns a little slower. The traction is not as good as running 15 or less, but then again I dont have to stop and change a tube because of a pinch flat. In nasty rocky conditions I run higher pressure. In loamy or sandy conditions (with no hidden rocks) I run a little less. You will get opinions all over the board on tire pressure.

On long stretches of high speed slab (many miles) I will air up to 20 psi, keeps the tire from heating up so much.

Also I run Ultra HD tubes exclusively. With the Ultra HD tubes and 18 psi I have never had a pinch flat and I have taken some good hits at high speed and put some big smilies on the rims. At 15 psi I have managed to pinch flat the HD tubes. It all depends on your conditions and how agressive you want to ride.

Running 18 psi and Ultra HD tubes? Check out this thread:https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=467200 no pinch flat.