Sign in to follow this  

cams

i do not no any thing about cams to put in pit bike do they give u power what do they realy do and sould i get one and what is one that will go in my ssrc4 thanxs

The Cam is the brain in a four stroke engine. It can make or break your engine package. The cam should be tuned in conjunction with the intake and exhaust circuits.

With these little pit bike motors its probably not a problem, but over camming a motor is a concern. In other words, you can put too agressive of a camshaft into the motor and end up with even less power than you started. But that requires a pretty good selection of cams. These little motors dont have that extreme of a selection of cam so its not a huge concern as it would be with say a small block chevy where the choice of camshaft can make your head spin with countless options.

Typically what higher performance cams do is change the amount and length of lift at the valve. Most will extend the lift time and raise the lift amount.

A hotter cam will raise your max RPM where the normal Peak HP number is made. Hotter cams typically want higher compression pistons too, but not always. Some want really high compression ratios (13:1+)and other seem to work ok with standard ratios.

When building a custom motor, you need to consider all this stuff. Some stuff can add, some can subtract without the correct mods. Like putting a huge pipe on a 50. Suddenly youve lost bottom end power but it screams on top. But put that same pipe on a 125 and its good over all ranges. Same can happen with cams. Or like over carbing you motor too.

Its all fun crap. Id suggest you start tinkering. Its how you learn. Just make sure when you make a change that the change doesnt create a mechanical issue like too much valve lift and the piston hits the exhaust valve and then you end up with broken parts and a bad experience. But I think you get what I mean.

Ive done more of this kind of thing than anyone wants to hear about. It teaches you a lot about all kinds of four stroke engines. The therorys apply accross the board, not to just mini bike motors.

Actually Shawn, there is a pretty large variety of cam options out there for all the various pitbikes. My data gathering doesn't have many of the Takegawa/Kitaco cam grinds, or 110 grinds, but this should give you an idea of the range of options out there.

http://www.x386.net/TTR/tech/cam2.html