Sign in to follow this  

Anyone converted thier bike to supermoto?

My 04 TC450 came with the SM kit when I got it new, reason why I got it at the time was because of this. The switch from MX to SM requires switching to the wider triples to fit the front wheel, everything else fits right up at that point. Nothing needed for the rear wheel, it fits right up as well.

Now, to be keep the bike set up to switch from SM to MX and back required me making some spacers for the front wheel/axel and the front brake since they are now off-set because of the wider triples but once I made those the switch was very easy to put the MX wheels on.

Yes.

I switch mine back and forth. It spends more time in dirt mode, but is way too fun in SM mode to not have the spare wheelset. Everyone should have 'em.

If your bike is '06 or newer, you needn't worry about the triples. They are the same width for TE and SM.

paul

What is the supermoto "kit"? My dealer sells TE610s and 610SMs, but he didn't mention any kits. He did say that if I wanted to run both SM wheels an dirt wheels to use the TE as a base. I'm not certain why. I suppose I could start with a TE, separately order SM wheels with the smaller brake rotor and bolt 'em on, but then I've got weak TE brakes and super-long TE suspension travel. Yikes. Not safe.

To make a TE into an SM must also take stiffer springs, a lowering kit, a big SM brake caliper and mount, the bigger rotor and of course the wheels. Am I correct? Is all that in the "kit"?

What is the supermoto "kit"? My dealer sells TE610s and 610SMs, but he didn't mention any kits. He did say that if I wanted to run both SM wheels an dirt wheels to use the TE as a base. I'm not certain why. I suppose I could start with a TE, separately order SM wheels with the smaller brake rotor and bolt 'em on, but then I've got weak TE brakes and super-long TE suspension travel. Yikes. Not safe.

To make a TE into an SM must also take stiffer springs, a lowering kit, a big SM brake caliper and mount, the bigger rotor and of course the wheels. Am I correct? Is all that in the "kit"?

weak TE brakes???? there's nothing weak about them

Geez, my first post and I have already offended.

You are correct. "Weak" is relative. Coming from a KLR, I know that the Husky TE brakes are anything but weak.

I was actually referring to Husky brakes (dirt wheel rotor and caliper) vs. other Husky brakes (the supermoto oversize roto and caliper).

So what's in the kit?

Geez, my first post and I have already offended.

You are correct. "Weak" is relative. Coming from a KLR, I know that the Husky TE brakes are anything but weak.

I was actually referring to Husky brakes (dirt wheel rotor and caliper) vs. other Husky brakes (the supermoto oversize roto and caliper).

So what's in the kit?

I bought a set of 610SM wheels, with rotor, hubs, etc. I understand that the SM and TE use the same gearing, but I went down 5 teeth in the rear. dirt to sm is about 40 minutes for me, but w/ practice dealer says 30 min is pretty good. Coming from sport bikes 929rr, 600rr, and gsx1300r , the TE brakes are weak. They stop okay, but the larger rotor / caliper of the SM is what you want.

So you have the 17" wheels, with the same sized rotor as the 21" front? That would certainly make quick work of swapping wheels. What about suspension? Any changes made or recommended?

From whom did you purchase your wheels? Do you mind saying how much they were?

UPDATE: Just re-read your post. Does your SM front have the larger, SM rotor on it? Or does it have the TE sized front rotor? If the former, what do you do about the caliper?

I recall reading that the SM kits came with a relocation bracket for the caliper, so you can use the larger SM rotors, just takes a few minutes more for the changeover. Don't quote me on that, just something I seem to recall

P.S. I wasn't offended, just stating what I felt. You may be able to get some answers from Supermoto Junkie, go to the manufacters heading, then go to Husky. You will have to join, but its fairly painless :bonk: good luck

So you have the 17" wheels, with the same sized rotor as the 21" front? That would certainly make quick work of swapping wheels. What about suspension? Any changes made or recommended?

From whom did you purchase your wheels? Do you mind saying how much they were?

UPDATE: Just re-read your post. Does your SM front have the larger, SM rotor on it? Or does it have the TE sized front rotor? If the former, what do you do about the caliper?

I paid 1500 from Motoxotica. I do currently have 17" wheels with the same sized rotor as the 21" front. It works , ok. But like I said coming from sport bikes, they're rather on the weak side. I'm not racing track, but I but I go faster then I should in a lot of places, so I think the bigger rotor would pay off. If it's a ton of dough, then I'll stick with what I have, but I'd really like to make the change. I believe you'll need a new caliper, caliper relocation bracket as well as the bigger rotor. there are probably some nice to haves like a fully connected brake system to make the swap even easier.

The SM kit that I got for my 04 TC450 came with the relocation bracket for the front brake as well as a larger Brembo caliper, same as what comes on the Ducati's and the Brembo master cylinder. Once the whole thing is set up it is painless to swap out since you have to take the front brake off any way, it is just two more bolts to take off the master cylinder and swap them out. The other thing that I had to do was drill out the holes for the larger bolts used by the SM brake caliper, then to go back to MX I had to drill out the brake caliper to use the now larger bolts from the SM kit.

I think the conversion is easier with a TE has it already has wider triples and correctly sized axel and spacer. The TC has narrower triples and requires a little more work and swapping out of things.

I'm in the process now of putting wheels, brake setup, triples, gearing on my 05 TC250. I have all the parts, just need to bolt them on. I'll be going back and forth between dirt and sm.

I've got a 06 TE610 and bought a set of stock 17in. SM wheels from Motoxotica. I kept the same size TE front brake rotor for quicker swapovers and to save some dough. I think the brake works great, though I'm not racing supermoto, it seems to have plenty of stopping power. Even for my most aggresive riding stints. The most appreciated aspect of having two sets is the dedicated gearing. 15-41 for street, 14-45 for dirt. This is a big improvement for both areas and makes it two completely different bikes. Not to mention the fact that you have pure dirt and street rubber on there. The swap takes me about twenty minutes to do. It is worth every penny I've spent. Good Luck.

Dave