HELP !!! Metal in oil filter

Hi all,

I have had this bike for about 2 years but have probably only ridden it a total of 2 hours or less total. It's a 2001, and was FAR from pristine when I bought it, but the bike always ran very well so I had no reason to expect any problems.

Anyway, I went to change the oil today, and the oil filter had ALOT of metal on it !!! It looks mostly like flakes of metal that are thin, but look like salt or fine sand. There are also some some small pieces of metal that almost look like wire strands.

Is this at all all normal ??? Should I go ahead with oil change ? I have a new brass filter and a magnetic oil plug ready to go in ? Can I keep riding it or should I just prepare to tear it down ??? Any help would be appreciated !

So I took a closer look at the metal. The stuff I though was wire is actually something soft like teflon. The majority of the flake is small and shiny or large and black. I also see small amounts of different colored particles, like dull red, yellow, even some green !

I'm guessing one or more of my bearings are about to completely fail :bonk: The only other thing I was curious about, is what happens when the nikasil lining finaly wears through, does any of it flake off into the crankcase?

img34992ix3.jpg

img350522dk6.jpg

Oops, looks like I forgot to get those flakes when I bought my bike new. Should I buy some from the dealership and put them in my oil now? Looks like I've got some catching up to do with the break in.

That's one of the more ridicules concepts I've ever heard of.

Is it your first oil change? When I baught my DRZ 400 new, it came with oil that had flakes in it. They add flakes to the oil to help break in your motor.

I just choked on my chilli cheese Frito's. Thanks.... :bonk:

Oops, looks like I forgot to get those flakes when I bought my bike new. Should I buy some from the dealership and put them in my oil now? Looks like I've got some catching up to do with the break in.

That's one of the more ridicules concepts I've ever heard of.

Chad you need to do what I just did after reading this post. I quickley went out to the garage and filed, sanded, grinded, on any handy scrap metal I could find. I made about a 1/2 teaspoon worth and poured in my oil. I hope that I am not too late for proper break in as my bike is a 2000 model.:bonk: If you need some shavings I can fed ex you some for tuesday deliverly.

Heck I may go into business selling shavings as I am sure that most of the off road motorcycle community are missing these shavings roflomao. Heck why limit my self to the motorcycle community? I am calling all of the manfactures first thing in the morning. I am sure at least the big 3 auto makers need these shavings. lol

Note to self, do not buy a DRZ.

I can't stop laughing. As for the original request, I don't know crap about engines. However that's not good. If that much is in your filter, there must be a pile sitting in the bottom inside of the cases then. Your engine needs to see the doc.

Chad you need to do what I just did after reading this post. I quickley went out to the garage and filed, sanded, grinded, on any handy scrap metal I could find. I made about a 1/2 teaspoon worth and poured in my oil. I hope that I am not too late for proper break in as my bike is a 2000 model.:bonk: If you need some shavings I can fed ex you some for tuesday deliverly.

Heck I may go into business selling shavings as I am sure that most of the off road motorcycle community are missing these shavings roflomao. Heck why limit my self to the motorcycle community? I am calling all of the manfactures first thing in the morning. I am sure at least the big 3 auto makers need these shavings. lol

I might be interested in purchasing some. How much are you selling them for (however I prefer them not to be of low grade steel from China) and how much do you recommend for a 07 YZ450F ?

I might be interested in purchasing some. How much are you selling them for (however I prefer them not to be of low grade steel from China) and how much do you recommend for a 07 YZ450F ?

you boys are too late. i just came from my dealer, they charge $90 a quart for the stuff. they call it "country goodness". i wish i can afford that stuff. i hear Carmichael ran it last year?

Is it your first oil change? When I baught my DRZ 400 new, it came with oil that had flakes in it. They add flakes to the oil to help break in your motor.

Now there is a niche market I never even dreamed of. I could sell pistons, cranks, bearings, rings......................... on the side too.:bonk:

Bill

someone should help this guy. it does sound like he really has a problem. my guess is (from the sitting) the clutch plates stuck and tground on that ride, and that's what's in the oil.

Hi all,

I have had this bike for about 2 years but have probably only ridden it a total of 2 hours or less total. It's a 2001, and was FAR from pristine when I bought it, but the bike always ran very well so I had no reason to expect any problems.

Anyway, I went to change the oil today, and the oil filter had ALOT of metal on it !!! It looks mostly like flakes of metal that are thin, but look like salt or fine sand. There are also some some small pieces of metal that almost look like wire strands.

Is this at all all normal ??? Should I go ahead with oil change ? I have a new brass filter and a magnetic oil plug ready to go in ? Can I keep riding it or should I just prepare to tear it down ??? Any help would be appreciated !

So I took a closer look at the metal. The stuff I though was wire is actually something soft like teflon. The majority of the flake is small and shiny or large and black. I also see small amounts of different colored particles, like dull red, yellow, even some green !

I'm guessing one or more of my bearings are about to completely fail :bonk: The only other thing I was curious about, is what happens when the nikasil lining finaly wears through, does any of it flake off into the crankcase?

Now, we something to work with. The first question is, are the flakes steel? (Do they stick to a magnet?) If so, it looks like a bearing failure somewhere inside.

Thats funny and all but that much metal in an older bike is not something you want to discover......Take you magnet out and see if the flakes are aluminum or steel...either way you need to start taking your motor apart NOW....

thanks grayracer

Yea, there's deffinetly plenty of steel. Most of it sticks to the magnet. So when I tear down...just replace visibly damaged bearings, or replace all for safety sake ??? How much is a full set of bearings ? Besides a gasket set, will I need anything else for the rebuild ?

Thanks

You'll want to replace at least the main bearings and the four transmission bearings. The most likely bearing to have failed is the left main shaft bearing. You should replace the rings at this time, and probably the piston, too, along with a new timing chain. Have the valves looked at, too.

The best prices are from either TT OEM, or Crotchrocket

You'll want to replace at least the main bearings and the four transmission bearings.

My bet is on the connecting rod big-end bearing. My WR400 had similar issues and a rebuilt crank (Eric Gorr) solved the problem.