Sign in to follow this  

Intake cam seized

The intake cam on my buddies '05 had seized on him. Upon taking it apart everything looked fine besides the intake cam was stuck into the head. Is the cam ok to use again. There is light marks on the journals.

post a pic.....i wouldn't recommend you do if the cam was seized...

do the KX/F's not have ballbearings on the cams? I thought they did, but if they don't have them, any lack of oil pressure would cause this (metal to metal contact), such as leaving the oil in too long and its viscosity broke down too much etc. Well, if there isn't alot of scaring, you could just clean it up with some really fine sandpaper and use it again, I don't see why not...???

I'd say trash it looks pretty bad, also, not worth the risk of it happening again. Go get a set of Hot Cams, he'll love them

thats pretty scarred up what did he do to it. the cam is made out of chromoly and the head aluminum so the head should be worse then that.usually you can use 600+ grit sandpaper to smooth out the cam but the head is what you need to look at. did he lose oil pressure to just that lobe or what?