Sign in to follow this  

street legal xr 50

hi all, i have a custom xr 50 with many upgraded , mix matched and extended parts. iam making it street legal. i have bought the baja designs kit for it and will be installing it soon. I am regiserting it in massachusetts , any thoughts on how i should register this ( custom i was thinking) i am also looking for dot approved tires for it i am running a 12" front rim ( current tire size 2.50 x 12 ) and a rear tire of ( 70 / 100- 10 ) i wil be keeping the same size rims. any idea as to where to purchase these tires????? i am looking for a semi agressive tread not a slick. ( riding in wet conditions alot ) thanks

-mike

this sounds like it could be a fun project. would be great for around town commuting :bonk: i think the tires off a honda ruckus could possibly work at least for the rear, might be a little big 130/90-10, dont know about the front though :naughty: hmmm, honda also has the big ruckus and that uses a 110/90-12 front tire with a semi aggressive tread

thanks, this has been a fun project for me and the tires are the last thing holding me up. im even open to using motard tires as long as they are approved.

There was a place for awhile that sold motard type wheels and tires, and a pretty sporty looking headlight for the 50, looked pretty badass, trying to find it now.

i can find the 12" tire for the front but the back 10'' one is giving me a run around time.

They actually sold these really nice white streetbike looking wheels that had street tires on them, they looked really trick.

You may want to check with your motor vehicle department. In Colorado the bike has to be a minimum of 125 cc's I believe to be street legal.

You may want to check with your motor vehicle department. In Colorado the bike has to be a minimum of 125 cc's I believe to be street legal.

yup, the bike is 125 cc. i took an xr 50 and extended everything 2-3" and dropped in a 1984 honda atc 125 engine. very fast for a little bike. in mass anything over 49.9 cc is considered a motorcycle and is subject to all the rules and regs, including lighting and tires. so technically i could register a stock 50 and be fine but i wanted the extra power

personally i get worried sometimes while on my DR350, people do freakign pay attention, esp. when your a little bike. Good luck with the project, and be safe!!!

thanks for the concern... people really need to pay attention while driving and watch out for us. im a very good rider but its the careless drivers that scare me too!! the bike is actually pretty "tall" it is 30" to the top of the seat and 38" to the handlebar grips. im only "putting" around town. sideroads and such, no highway, ill get killed on this small bike. thats why i also used the stock red plastics for better visibility and im running a bigbor fmf power core 4 for the pipe bark that lets everybody know youre there!! it sounds like a big 400. thanks for the concerns i appreciate it

so how goes the project? i have an xr50 i could screw around with and im curious to see how its worked out for you.

the project is going well, i think i found my tires. check out the web site below and tell me what u think. i would be using the 3.50 x 12 in the front and the 3.5 x 10 in the rear. they are dot approved and are the only ones these size that i could find approved. ( keep in mind my stock sixe tires are 2.5 - 2.75 rim size ) dou you think i could fit thes larger ones on???????

http://www.tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIRES/Cheng%20Shin/Cheng_Shin_C186_Trials.htm

Thanks

for all my friends 50's we just dug used tires out of the dumpster of teh scooter store in town. any vespa dealer should have them.

for all my friends 50's we just dug used tires out of the dumpster of teh scooter store in town. any vespa dealer should have them.

ahhh dumpster diving, the best way to recycle 👍

yup, the bike is 125 cc. i took an xr 50 and extended everything 2-3" and dropped in a 1984 honda atc 125 engine. very fast for a little bike. in mass anything over 49.9 cc is considered a motorcycle and is subject to all the rules and regs, including lighting and tires. so technically i could register a stock 50 and be fine but i wanted the extra power

Aren't stock 50's usually 49.5 cc's?

Kevin

Here are some pics taken today after installing the kit. the wiring is almost done and should be up and running tomm. night. i think it looks pretty cool , looks even better in person!! this is the baja designs kit and im very happy so far. it is the quick release kit tooo!!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/muddykart04/2007_04_15/photo?authkey=dGcoaNy_yL0#5053846498114653314