Sign in to follow this  

MOAB: Pritchett Canyon and Kane Springs Rd

I am wondering how to link these 2 rides together. Last Fall I rode Kane Springs out to the highway... an I rode the entire highway back to town. I would really like to return via Pritchett... Or ride pritchett and return via Kane Springs. Which route is the easier direction? Where do the 2 trails meet?

Also I have heard of some nasty obstacles on Pritchett? something about 4 foot ledges? is there a name for these ledges? bypassable?

Any info on this route or major obstacles would be appreciated.

Thanks...

i've never done kane springs, but i've rode pritchett canyon several times. it's not that bad if you're good at tech riding, the obstacles are rocker knocker, yellow hill, and rock pile. if you're skilled at riding rocks and bumping up and down 1-2 foot ledges you'll be fine, it's a great ride but take a camera with you, once you get to the end there is some great views of the canyon. and it is much easier coming down the canyon than going up if you come in the back way from kane creek.

Once you hit the highway, you go a couple miles back towards town (past the Hole in the Wall tourist trap). You'll see a turnout on your left (dirt road), there's usually quite a few trucks parked just off the road (a lot quads and jeeps go back and play in the sand dunes). Follow that road to the P. Canyon trail (it's marked). This trail is technical for a beginner, but nothing that's impassable or overly difficult (especially in that direction). Note: you will still have several miles back into town (on dirt and then paved road), once you reach the end of the Kane Creek trail (you'll ultimately come out by the McDonald's at the south end of town). It's a good loop!

I agree, it's much easier coming "down" Prittchet. I've been "up" it twice and it can be rather difficult. Here's a few pics.

1331292291027832451S600x600Q85.jpg

1331282619027832451S600x600Q85.jpg

If I remember correctly there are 5 or 6 nasty ledges. Some are rideable if you are an expert, some are going to require lifting the bikes. I'm pretty fearless but there were a few places where a failed attempt would have surely made for a very bad day, so we took it easy. It took us about 4 hours to do the 6 or 7 miles going up PC.

I agree, it's much easier coming "down" Prittchet. I've been "up" it twice and it can be rather difficult. Here's a few pics.

1331292291027832451S600x600Q85.jpg

1331282619027832451S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks for the pics. That is a pretty cool area.

Regards,

TJ

This particular area shown in the pics I had an 18 year old kid ride it up for me. He was a really good rider and fearless. I let him have my XR and he rode it like I've never seen it ridden before and zipped right up the really nasty sections that I was uncomfortable with trying, especially after watching others that I know are good riders biff on the thing. I'm not proud, just wanted to survive to ride the rest of the weekend.

This particular area shown in the pics I had an 18 year old kid ride it up for me. He was a really good rider and fearless. I let him have my XR and he rode it like I've never seen it ridden before and zipped right up the really nasty sections that I was uncomfortable with trying, especially after watching others that I know are good riders biff on the thing. I'm not proud, just wanted to survive to ride the rest of the weekend.

If you do Kane creek to Pritchet, you'll be going down, not up, these obstacles - which is dramatically easier.

Also, what you can't see in the second picture is that there's a single track trail down the right side (facing up the hill) that will get you easily past the biggest part of the dropoff that the jeeps struggle up/down (and do so much damage to).

Follow that road to the P. Canyon trail (it's marked).

if you enjoy the technical riding, i would recommend taking Behind the Rocks trail, which pretty much runs right into pritchett. it does have 1 pretty ridiculous hill with a big ledge that i personally bulldog the bike down. i can easily ride everything on pritchett in either direction, so believe me, it's a ridiculous hill, lol.

(past the Hole in the Wall tourist trap).

Have you ever stopped there? After riding by more times than I can count, my wife and I stopped in one Sunday morning after a long weekend ride in Moab and got a personal tour because we were the only ones there. It really was pretty fascinating and we left with a great deal of respect for the couple that built it and lived there. The store may be a tourist trap, but the home that guy built in the rocks isn't a trap at all but something well worth seeing,especially if you appreciate the history of the Moab area. I was a uranium exploration geologist back in the mid-70s around Moab and always appreciate hearing about some of the old guys that pioneered the area.

Have you ever stopped there? After riding by more times than I can count, my wife and I stopped in one Sunday morning after a long weekend ride in Moab and got a personal tour because we were the only ones there. It really was pretty fascinating and we left with a great deal of respect for the couple that built it and lived there. The store may be a tourist trap, but the home that guy built in the rocks isn't a trap at all but something well worth seeing,especially if you appreciate the history of the Moab area. I was a uranium exploration geologist back in the mid-70s around Moab and always appreciate hearing about some of the old guys that pioneered the area.

That's interesting - I would never guessed that after having been by it dozens of times. I'll stop in next trip.

tks.

I'll be heading out to Moab on the 10th for my yearly trip to the good stuff. I have been up Wipe out hill, and done Poison, GB ,GS and Sovern. Looking forward to doing Behind the Rocks and Pritchett. Would you guys say these trails are any harder than Wipe out hill?

PC is rated the toughest 4WD trail in the Moab area. Personally rode there last week and would say it's technically the hardest trail I have ever been "up". Not for the faint of heart.

• Like 1

I'll be heading out to Moab on the 10th for my yearly trip to the good stuff. I have been up Wipe out hill, and done Poison, GB ,GS and Sovern. Looking forward to doing Behind the Rocks and Pritchett. Would you guys say these trails are any harder than Wipe out hill?

wipeout is pretty straightforward if you're used to slickrock, looks intimidating, but not hard to ride. going up pritchett is harder for sure. going down pritchett is not much difference. behind the rocks isn't bad at all as i recall. but i might be misremembering. it's been a few years. if you're comfortable riding the 1 or 2 semi-technical spots on sovereign, you'll probably be fine.

• Like 1

wipeout is pretty straightforward if you're used to slickrock, looks intimidating, but not hard to ride. going up pritchett is harder for sure. going down pritchett is not much difference. behind the rocks isn't bad at all as i recall. but i might be misremembering. it's been a few years. if you're comfortable riding the 1 or 2 semi-technical spots on sovereign, you'll probably be fine.

Thanks V. I don't think I will have any problems. I am just trying to gage some of this"new to me stuff "so I don't drag anyone else in my party on something there not going to dig. I think the guy's I take on those trails will be up for the challenge. Thanks again for the input. It is always helpful.:bonk:

if you enjoy the technical riding...

Its not that I enjoy a tough challenge.. I just loved the h&ll out of Kane Springs and thought that Pritchett would be a nice loop back. By nice, I mean fun, not easy...

i can easily ride everything on pritchett in either direction.

I would prefer to ride the less difficult route.. which sounds like riding Kane Springs then jumping on Pritchett off the highway past the hole in the rock shop.

I have ridden things like the devils racetrack in the Swell without an issue. Ten mile wash in GR without problems. I guess I will just do the loop and bring some buddies and ropes if the 'ledges' seem too intense. I just dont like committing to something that will have a high risk of severe injury or death.

I just rode the kane creek and prichett loop this last weekend and had no problems. There are a few spots where you will have to take it slow but I never had to get off my bike while going down. Kane springs is a really fun ride and the road to prichett canyon once off the highway is a fast road there are only about 4 miles of the techincal stuff.

If you do Pritchett the "hard way"

Turn West on Kane Creek Road (at the McDonalds in town) and ride it back past Moab rim and you'll see the entrance on the left.

The trail head starts on private land/camp area. Go slow. The owner asks for a couple of $$ "toll" to go through. Many bypass this, but he COULD just as easily close the access. So put some schekles in the the box.

For many years the first obstacle was about 50 yards in (not including the barbed wire fence that is sometimes up) which was about a 3.5 undercut bank. I have heard that has since been "softened" have not ridden it since then.

There are about 7 major tough parts in the canyon all varying degrees of tough, most are doable with just some momentum and some guts, one or two have bypasses.

Once out of the canyon you connect to Behind the rocks, if memory serves, you have two options taking the Left forks go to the tough climbs, going right will take you the easy route and pretty much all the trail is accessable by stock 4X4. Continue on this to until it turns to Jeep road, and eventually to the Highway. Go south (right) at the highway for a couple of miles and you'll see the entrance to Kane Creek on the Right. Follow it all the way through and you'll end up on Kane Creek Road again a few miles down from where you started.

Resurrecting my own thread to get the final opinion on this place. K Everything is in place for this loop tomorrow.

What is the final say about the Kane Springs/Pritchett Canyon Loop. There will be two of us riding, SO should we start W. of Moab and ride Kane Springs to the Hwy then come back via Pritchett? Or should we start W. of Moab and ride Pritchett Canyon to the Hwy then return on Kane SPrings?

I know the 2 major obstacles are going to be a pair of 4 foot shelves... I just dont know which direction is going up the shelves and which is going down... I would prefer the easier direction to go since its my first run in there.

Any opinions on it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Plaid

Since it's your first time, I would recommend running the route counterclockwise (facing north). Whether you start from the north end (up Kane Creek and then down Pritchett/Behind the Rocks) or the south, is a matter of do you want to start with fun and end with technical (start from the north end) or start technical and end with fun (start from the south end).

Good luck.