Sign in to follow this  

crf 250r vs. 250sxf

I am a new member here and I am looking to buy a new 07' KTM 250sxf. I have looked at everything I felt was best, Kawi, Suzuki, Honda and KTM. I have found is that the KTM seems a heck of a lot better. It has parts on it that some road bikes don't, Brembo brakes, hydro. clutch, stainless steel braided brake lines... shows signs of detail and quality over the Jap’s. The Honda seems like a good bike also but it is still in that class of Jap. bikes. Just pick one; they are all about the same with a few exceptions along the way. The Honda won the 06’ shootout in dirtrider while the KTM pulled only a 4th in a field of 5 bikes. I am aware that the KTM went under a huge refresh in 07’ and in the 07’ shootout video it showed in where the Honda and KTM seemed to impress the most. I have read that once you ride a KTM even after years of something otherwise it is hard to go back to anything else as it does not measure up, that says a lot. I have also read that the KTM is more reliable than the Honda, also a major selling point. Everyone seems to praise the KTM (although a 06’) but in that comparo, the Honda won. Why is this? Also I do not see a lot of KTM winnings in America SX. My hypotheses are that the riders are not as good or maybe since the bikes are so scarce in the race or there are rules that the AMA might have since the major sponsors are the Jap man. I am not buying based on some magazine, stats or who wins races but I would like the brand to show better against its opponents or know the reasons why they don’t. I want the best which is the KTM. When I went to the local dealership he first knew the bike better than any of the other manufacturer’s salesmen and there was a better customer/ buyer relationship than the other dealers, something that is important to me anyways. They said that Honda’s twin pipe is also a border line design flaw. It adds more weight and some other things to. I plan on buying the KTM but I want to know why the Honda came in first and KTM got 4th

Also their showings in races. Can’t wait, only got about two more months!

I pefer the honda over the KTM, i own both bikes, a '06 crf250 and a '07 250sxf.

The KTM definitly has all the parts and the trick one off look to it.

But i feel the honda handles better and has a all out smoother feel to it. The honda feels lighter and the suspension works much better.

The KTM definitly has the motor. It will hands down beat the honda to the top of a long up hill (in the hands of the right rider and everything of course), but when the conditions get sloppy the KTM kinda feels like its all over the place. The motor on the honda is really smooth, which for me makes my lap times better becuase there is no place in the powerband that the bike doesnt anything un expected.

Needless to say that, after getting the crf my sxf is for sale. I also had some problems with the bike breaking the tranny and then it took 4 months to get parts, but if i felt the KTM was the better bike i would keep it. I just feel more comfortable on the honda and the bike seems to flow really good.

I still love the KTM and i will always have a place in my heart for it lol. I owned a '06 250sxf until i got the '07. The bikes look trick, have all the nice parts, the motor is amazing, just the handling isnt quite up to par in my opinion.

IMO I think handling is based upon the rider not the bike, all the bikes have really good suspension and forks and everything, but its the fact of getting used to your bike and learning how to handle it, the bike dosen't handle you. Most people say the honda handles better, but this is because it has the same feel as the other jap bikes and there are alot of jap bikes around and most people are used to riding them. They say the ktm handles worse or not as good as the Honda because they never take the time to get used to it and learn how to handle the bike, because the austrian bike is less common and there are less people who are used to riding one.

That is very true for most people, i spent over a year on a KTM though, and loved every minute of it until i got the honda. i still love the bike, had i not had problems with the bike and getting parts i would still be riding it. I think its a great bike, just the honda suits ME better. Everyone is different.

When chosing a bike dont just listen to one person, take bits and peices of what everyone says and form your own opinion. That is unless your lucky enough to get the chance to ride all the bikes, but thats rarely the case.

I would agree with most of whats been said above, you get on a honda and feel "at home" more quickly and with fewer little adjustments because you've prob been riding jap bikes since you started riding. BUT the Ktm valve train seems to be miles ahead of all the others not just the honda. There's reviews up of sxf 250's with 2 an 300 hours an not a valve job done. I personally have 50 hours on my 07 sxf and have checked shims and they're well within spec. For me the whole nonsense of re shimming, replacing valves an springs with the honda would turn me off no matter how good it felt to ride.

I have an '06 crf250r and an '06 250sx and they are both great bikes. In my opinion the Honda handles a little better, but mostly on Supercross style tracks; and the suspension is definitely smoother. The KTM engine is not even in the same ballpark: it feels like a 300 next to the Honda. It is much stronger everywhere and is much more like riding a 450 than a 250f. I find that most of the time I can stay in 2 gears and just use the power from the bottom right up to the rev limiter. They are both good bikes, but the KTM is way underrated by everyone. I still love the Honda, but I would have to d a lot of tuning and aftermarket work to get it to be even close to my stock KTM.

I pefer the honda over the KTM, i own both bikes, a '06 crf250 and a '07 250sxf.

The KTM definitly has all the parts and the trick one off look to it.

But i feel the honda handles better and has a all out smoother feel to it. The honda feels lighter and the suspension works much better.

The KTM definitly has the motor. It will hands down beat the honda to the top of a long up hill (in the hands of the right rider and everything of course), but when the conditions get sloppy the KTM kinda feels like its all over the place. The motor on the honda is really smooth, which for me makes my lap times better becuase there is no place in the powerband that the bike doesnt anything un expected.

Needless to say that, after getting the crf my sxf is for sale. I also had some problems with the bike breaking the tranny and then it took 4 months to get parts, but if i felt the KTM was the better bike i would keep it. I just feel more comfortable on the honda and the bike seems to flow really good.

I still love the KTM and i will always have a place in my heart for it lol. I owned a '06 250sxf until i got the '07. The bikes look trick, have all the nice parts, the motor is amazing, just the handling isnt quite up to par in my opinion.

I think you are making a big mistake selling your 07 250sxf, ive been a ktm owner since 02. i bought an 07 250sxf about 2 months ago, set the sag broke it in and cant be any happier with it, i know have 16 hours on it ive put the phds handlebar support on it (highly recommended) and have played with the clickers and lowered the fork oil heigt by 10cc and just when i thought it couldnt get any better it did the bike handles light years better than any other bike ive ridden imo. Im at the point now when i ride my friends jap bikes it just feels like the handlebars are extra twitchy and ready to swap and pitch me over the bars when railing a berm(which has happened about 4 months ago on a yz250f) ive ridden my friends 07 rmz250 which seems like a good bike for jap bike standards but i dont have nearly as much confidence on it as well as other jap bikes, i think it mainly has to do with the head tube angle and personal preference but give it some time. The 07 250sx-f is alot different than an 06 do the above mods and you wont want to ride your valve seat eating run of the mil crf anymore:thumbsup: .

It all comes down to what you are comfortable on. I had been on all the jap bikes, but mainly yamahas for the last 4 years and as soon as I got on my 06 250sxf I was in love. I will tell you there is a major difference in the low end of my 06 250sxf with a mega bomb 4.1 and my friends 07 crf250 with twin yoshis. His bike has a whole lot more down low, but signs off much earlier, whereas my KTM is like the energizer bunny...it keeps going and going and going!!. The other major difference to me is the turning of KTM's. Turns have always been my downfall...until I rode KTM's. I can take inside/outside, rutted corners better than I can on all of the jap bikes. The one last MAJOR difference between the honda and ktm 250f's is that you better be able to work on valves as they do not seem to hold up near as good as the KTM's. But fast or slow bike...it does not matter because you are going to be faster on whichever bike that you are the most comfortable on. They are all fast enough to win races these days off the showroom floor!!

I think the KTM handles extremely well when the conditions are muddy and sloppy.

One thing about the KTM is that you must take the time to setup the suspension correctly for each individual. Once setup correctly, you can take whatever line you want in any corner.

The motor is extremely reliable. Biggest reason we went to the 250SXF.

If you pay attention they say only good things about the ktm but they rate it bad, but they say mild things about the honda and they rate it really good, this is mainly because of advertising and of course honda is the biggest company and they pay that magazine the most for advertising, so the magazine says good things about the bike, and haven't you seen that honda almost always win no matter how good the bike is. And the ranking of the bikes normally go from biggest company to smallest company because of the advertising that is involved. I also no that racerx and a few other companies did not break the bike in and they complained that the ktm did not rev at all,which this is true until the bike is broken in because the ktm has a very tight engine unlike the jap bikes. If you want to no about the ktm go to racerx canada and read about the bikes but dont pay attention to the ratings cause these ratings are based on advertising of the company. ( they also broke all the bikes in at the racerxcanada shootout)

i hate that....in the dirtrider shoot out for 2007....the only thing they said about the KTM was a little harsh spot in the fork, and the honda had a BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD carb. and harsh suspension ALL AROUND, but they still, not straight out, but they say little things here and there to make the HOnda sound better

thats why i got KTM

I helped convert a red rider to an orange rider (07 250 sx-f) and he is absolutely loving the bike:thumbsup:

Just spent a day riding my 07 250sxf and a 07 KX250f. Just comparing, KTM to Jap bikes, I honestly don't see what people are so excited about with the jap bikes. I drive a BMW and I feel it is a fair comparison when I say a Jap bike is like driving a Camaro or Mustang verses a BMW or Mercedes. The KTM bike gives me a solid reliable ride that has excellent communication with the track. It feels solid and tight. The jap bikes feel loose and vague. IMO

So the 07'kxf felt "loose" and "vague"?? NOT my experience with the one i've been riding!! And yes I owned an 06'sxf.

I grew up riding Kx 80 and 125s. I always thought they were the best. I don't know how to best describe my feelings, but the front end of the bike seems to turn like its driven by wires. There is a lack of sensory imput from the tire to the forks to the handlebars, when compared to the KTM. I have a greater sense of front tire position with the KTM than I do with any of the Jap bikes I've ridden lately.

To be fair, I don't notice any difference with the back of the bike. The rear tracks well and doesn't give me any surprises.

This is just my opinion, I realize that in most groups the KTM is the odd duck. But having been off bikes for 15 years, when I looked at all the different brands and rode them all. I immediately picked up on this feel issue. I'm sure if I spent more time on any of the Jap bikes, I would get used to it and then start thinking that the KTM was weird. But in my semi experienced hands, I find the KTM the best bike all around.

Sorry been a while since I logged in... I have an '06 250 sx-f. I actually had an '05 250sx 2 stroke before the current bikes, but that was WAY too much for me.

I'm another guy that has both, and prefers the Honda by a wide margin. One of these days, I'm going to sell the KTM, but I just can't do it yet, mainly because it's still new (3 hours on it). Anybody in NJ want a smoking deal on a 250SXF? :applause:

I'm another guy that has both, and prefers the Honda by a wide margin. One of these days, I'm going to sell the KTM, but I just can't do it yet, mainly because it's still new (3 hours on it). Anybody in NJ want a smoking deal on a 250SXF? :applause:

What year is the 250SXF?