Sign in to follow this  

big bore advice needed please

well i just brought a 2004 wr250 with the motor in bits already ( was very cheap) and it needs a new cylinder , valves , maybe cams and a crank.

i was thinking about putting the athena 290 kit into it instead off buying the standard factory cylinder again . its only going to be a couple off hunderd differnt than staying at 250cc . are these kits ok and wots the reliablty like and that .

also wot mods should i look at doing wile the motor is down i was thinking a mild port job, maybe some after market cams ( wot are good cams to run in the wee wr ) since i have to replace the standard cams.

any advice would be cool to help make this thing a wee rocket

thanks

What's your parts budget? Also, if it had a catastrophic engine failure, I'd be thinking about new crank/rods & bearings valves, springs to go along with that new cylinder.

My "05YZ Athena 290 has been totally reliable through 60+hrs mx track. I recommend Hot Cams stage II to feed the increased displacement at higher RPM (make sure the air box is opened on a WR!!) Jet it lean (maybe start with165 main).

I replaced the crank as precaution after dropping a valve on my '02. If your engine experienced sudden stoppage it might be money well spent.

zero problems on my 05 WR. Lost track of how many hours,riding EVERY weekend for well over a year

glenn

cool thanks for the replys guys , no the engine was still running before they started pulling it down . it was just getting hard to start since the valves were tight . the standard cylinder has gone thro the crome just below the top off the clyinder in 2 wee spots .

i was gonig to do the cams because there was a wee bit off wear on the cam chains sprockets and the crank just to be safe . im looking at spending about $2000 on it and ill still come out pretty good on the deal considering the price i brought the bike for

Hey all,

I have been looking into these big bore kits (specifically the athena 290), however I can't seem to find much info on what happens when you need new rings / a rebuild. Is there enough meat on the cylinder to hone out again or would the walling be too thin? What happens here? Are you up for the cost of a whole new kit?

If anyone also has advise on how often these would require a rebuild. Oh, and also what the cost difference is between rebuilding a 290 and a standard 250.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Jared

Hey all,

I have been looking into these big bore kits (specifically the athena 290), however I can't seem to find much info on what happens when you need new rings / a rebuild. Is there enough meat on the cylinder to hone out again or would the walling be too thin? What happens here? Are you up for the cost of a whole new kit?

If anyone also has advise on how often these would require a rebuild. Oh, and also what the cost difference is between rebuilding a 290 and a standard 250.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Jared

You won't need to replace the cylinder. You can buy a piston replacement from rockymountainatv.com. $150 or so and comes with rings, wrist pin and circlips.

You can get cheap gaskets from cometic. Don't buy the Athena gasket. They are twice the price.