Sign in to follow this  

Croom for plated bikes?

how are the trails at Croom...sugar sand or hard packed dirt? i've been looking for a good spot that i can spend a weekend at and go exploring for hours at a time without wearing myself out in the sugar sand. would Croom be a good place for this?

Croom is pretty sandy in many areas and the main trails are the worst. Most of the smaller trails aren't very bad, but it is still Floriduh after all. I have no problem with it on my DRZ with DOT knobs. The forest roads in the surrounding Withlacoochee State Forest are outstanding and your tag gets you an E-ticket ride on them. They range from hardpack with gravel to sand, and everything in between. I had a chance to explore them a bit a few weeks ago and am going back soon, possibly to camp. Ironically, I am there as I type this, but it isn't a bike trip. Wish I had the DRZ right now while the wife and kids are snoozing up in the room.

Croom is pretty sandy in many areas and the main trails are the worst. Most of the smaller trails aren't very bad, but it is still Floriduh after all. I have no problem with it on my DRZ with DOT knobs. The forest roads in the surrounding Withlacoochee State Forest are outstanding and your tag gets you an E-ticket ride on them. They range from hardpack with gravel to sand, and everything in between. I had a chance to explore them a bit a few weeks ago and am going back soon, possibly to camp. Ironically, I am there as I type this, but it isn't a bike trip. Wish I had the DRZ right now while the wife and kids are snoozing up in the room.

oh i bet you're dying to go out and play....lol.

if i go i'll most likely be going with a few atv guys and a couple non plated bikes and probly 3 plated. maybe us plated guys can sneak out for a ride. thanks for the info.

Croom is the best place I've found for exploring. It even has short, steep, HILL CLIMBS. The main trails are soft and whooped out but there are many with pretty good traction.

Bring hand guards! and an extra set of knees if your over 30 yrs old due to the endless whoops on miles and miles of trails. Its fun but the trails are narrow and if you want to ride fast, you will hit trees eventually with your handlebars. Bark busters with metal inserts are a MUST!!!

Bring hand guards! and an extra set of knees if your over 30 yrs old due to the endless whoops on miles and miles of trails. Its fun but the trails are narrow and if you want to ride fast, you will hit trees eventually with your handlebars. Bark busters with metal inserts are a MUST!!!

there are plenty of enjoyable trails- you just gotta get off the f-wheeler roads.

Go to the northern and eastern end of the park- stay away from the sand pit!

there are plenty of enjoyable trails- you just gotta get off the f-wheeler roads.

Go to the northern and eastern end of the park- stay away from the sand pit!

+1

Most of the good stuff is north of the day use areas and is generally the path least traveled.

so many mixed reviews...... i think i'll hold off till i get to know the are a bit better and explore it on google earth.

google earth?

Man, you gotta get out of that house and get some dirt on your face before it gets to be 110 degrees outside.

If you like tight technical trails- go to the north of the park.

If you get turned around-just ride until you get to a fence or a perimeter road and follow it for a few miutes and you will find yourself at a landmark that will lead you where you want to go.

The place is not all that big!

Now if you go to Big Scrub (Ocala) and get lost- it might take you a couple of days to get back to the truck.