how can a Dr650 climb

I am thinking about buying a dr650 and where i ride the climb of one particular part is like 60-70 degreees. can the dr650 climb this with stock gearing. if it cant what gearing should i get. I dont think I can get tires until christams. but I am pretty sure I can get a new front sprocket. I also heard that if you change the front sprocket, you really have to change bothe sprockets and the chain.

Thanks

my last real dirtbike was a CR500,:bonk: in comparison my DR feels like it couldn't climb from the flat part of a mattress to the pillow,that's the problem with trying to answer such questions.. it depends where your coming from.. much lower gearing,aggressive tires, and lots of nerve.. thats my top 3 for getting a dr to climb:ride:

my last real dirtbike was a CR500,:bonk: in comparison my DR feels like it couldn't climb from the flat part of a mattress to the pillow,that's the problem with trying to answer such questions.. it depends where your coming from.. much lower gearing,aggressive tires, and lots of nerve.. thats my top 3 for getting a dr to climb:ride:

Then add to that weight of the bike and sand! CR500?? Do you suffer from past arm joint stretching injuries now days? :D

If you are speaking of sand hills, jeffrey1122, then you need horsepower to stay on top. Like heykenny's CR500! A big torquey lower reving fourstroke is not a good sand hill climber. If the hills you speak of are hard pack then proper gearing and tire selection will get you to the top on the DR650. :naughty:

Do you suffer from past arm joint stretching injuries now days? :naughty:
.. funny you should ask..

I was out last weekend pretending my DR was a "dirtbike" and after one lap that i would describe as a series of linked recoveries,I did get a little snivel out of an old broken collarbone..:bonk:

That's kind of like taking a John Deer up a steep hill right ?

It's got the power but it's just to dang heavy unless your going at light speed :bonk:

I'm sure it will do it but be prepaired to bust your ARS if it's don't go well !

Hillclimb.jpg

Jeffery, whiles it's good you are getting info on this you are kind of going at this thing wrong. A big soft dualsport isn't the bike to learn to dirtride on. you'd be much better off finding some beater XR400/XR600/MX250 and riding that for a while. Then you will have some experience to pick another, more permanent, bike with. The beater you can get your money back out of (pick a good one) and the dualsport (whichever you decide is best based on your experience) won't get torn up nearly as much

I am thinking about buying a dr650 and where i ride the climb of one particular part is like 60-70 degreees. can the dr650 climb this with stock gearing. if it cant what gearing should i get. I dont think I can get tires until christams. but I am pretty sure I can get a new front sprocket. I also heard that if you change the front sprocket, you really have to change bothe sprockets and the chain.

Thanks

Hill climbing with a DR650 depends on lots of:

1. Gearing

2. Traction

3. Balls

In reverse order!

Here's some climbing video stuff (last summer in Italy).

Two DR's, one DR-Z and two Beemers.

http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=-5207591401576874186 (check 3min5"!!)

And this was pretty steep as well:

http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=4886645412707525813

"Masa sada hook-Ha,Ha";;;

Does that convet to 'Told yaa bust yer Ass' :bonk:

It's in the second video about 30 seconds into it........good laugh no ??

Hey Max,,, your girl friend is cute,,, and looks worn out from working that DR:applause:

No she didn't (lucky chick).

She's actually the girlfriend of the dude on the HP2, and she ditched the DR-Z for a Katoom 950 SuperEnduro. Great folks!

In that second video, it was my second attempt as I had already dumped my bike once. I broke the shifting shaft of the DR there in that video.