Sign in to follow this  

What about the new TTR 230(250?)?

I saw one at the dealer yesterday and it looked very different than my wife's TTR-225. Does anyone own one or has anyone ridden one?

Way better than the old 225. They have made the 230 since 05 with all years being the same. Updated plastic, less weight, new exhaust. Check out the sticky at the top of the forum for all the "uncorking" mods. I have done to mine the 130 main jet, 38 pilot, airbox mod, exhaust mod, 14 tooth counter shaft sprocket, 49 tooth aluminum rear sprocket. It is still a heavy trail bike, but it is a blast to ride and it has that great magic button (electric start). Here is a pic of mine.

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/image.php?u=120766&dateline=0

If you are referring to the TTR230: It is the same basic motor as the TTR225 (which is an off-road version of the XT225) but has a different carburetor, exhaust and chassis. Much better suspension, I hear.

I saw one at the dealer yesterday and it looked very different than my wife's TTR-225. Does anyone own one or has anyone ridden one?

I just bought my son (12y/o, 5'8", 160lbs) a new 2006 TTR 230. Unfortunately I wish I had not. He is fairly new to riding, but has already surpased the capabilities of the 230. Now I am looking into spending a lot of time and money into exhaust, suspension, and carburator mods. If I had to do it again, I would have bitten-the-bullet and bought him the WR-250. He can ride mine just fine, and I would not have had to sink a lot of upgrade dollars into it. Buying the cheaper bike to start off is not always the best way to go. Think about it carefully.

I just bought my son (12y/o, 5'8", 160lbs) a new 2006 TTR 230. Unfortunately I wish I had not. He is fairly new to riding, but has already surpased the capabilities of the 230. Now I am looking into spending a lot of time and money into exhaust, suspension, and carburator mods. If I had to do it again, I would have bitten-the-bullet and bought him the WR-250. He can ride mine just fine, and I would not have had to sink a lot of upgrade dollars into it. Buying the cheaper bike to start off is not always the best way to go. Think about it carefully.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy him a used kx/yz/rm/cr/sx 85/100/105. The make way more power, have better suspension, and are lighter. If you sold his ttr, you would be able to buy a used one of these and maybe even make a little money. Unless you don't like two strokes:thumbsdn:.