Sign in to follow this  

DR-Z perfect replacement for XR 250?

Since Honda killed the XR series, has Suzuki built the capable replacement? I'm in the market for such a machine. Has anyone tried one of these new DR-Z's. The adjustable suspension has piqued my interest. How's the engine performance/reliability?

Here is a link to a TT thread which gives my thoughts on the subject. The DR-Z250 was a nice upgrade to the XR250 in some ways, but has not generated nearly the interest among aftermarket suppliers.

I think it is. It's reliability is great. We've had my dad's for a few years without replacing a single thing. Plus it has that magical button. I think it is the perfect replacement. They are very similiar power wise.

Not only did Honda kill the XR250, Yamaha killed the TTR250 which was the other bike often compared with the Honda and Suzuki. The "replacements" for these discontinued bikes are pretty lacking IMO. I have ridden the Honda 230 and while it is "fun", the suspension bottoms easily, lacks the suspension adjustments of the Suzuki and is smaller in stature then the Suzuki (for me it's problem as I am 6'1" and 200lbs with all my gear on. The e-start on the Suzuki is a must and the back up kick starter is there for peace of mind if nothing else. My only complaint about the Suzuki is that it is not a light bike, but it is what is is. I have never not been able to pick it up despite being in some tough situations. The bike is plenty fast with a few simple mods (air box mod, different air filter element, larger rear sprocket, slip-on exhaust and rejetting). Also, the bars will bend just by looking at them funny (replaced with ProTaper 7/8 aluminum CR-Hi bend). As for the lack of aftermarket it just doesn't effect me because if I need to modify the bike that much I bought the wrong bike in the first place. I use my DR-Z250 for trail riding (moderate and expert) and messing around on a couple makeshift tracks. It won't be the last bike I own, but I am really happy that I bought it and it will last me more than a couple of seasons. I would say that it is a great bike for the beginner on through intermediate rider.

I agree with Luke. My bike is stock with no performance mods and like all bikes you have to comprimise something if you don't own 5 or 6 bikes.

I am having a lot fun with my DRZ-250 right now. Just dialed it in to ride on the road with street tires and a rear 41T sprocket. This bike cuts up the paved canyons or at least I do. Ha Ha.

Good bike.

I accidentally dropped mine on the pavement 2 days ago (I thought it was in neutral when I got off after warming it up, I was not! (could have been worse, it just missed the cars)), and there does not appear to be much damage. I may have bent the handle bars a bit, and the handguards have a few scratches, but that is a relatively easy and inexpensive fix. Had I dropped my Vulcan instead, I would be looking at hundreds of dollars to fix it (probably bars, signals, tank, grips, etc.).

There is something to be said for the durability and simplicity of the DRZ. It is also a lot of fun to boot around town on.

I love my DR-Z. I've been riding for 20 years. This is my 4th dirt bike and I would say it is definitely not just "for beginners." It scoots right along, very much like an XR250, but it has better suspension and a better frame IMHO, and of course there's the magic button. I think it feels very light on the trail. My only complaint would be that I'd like about 10 more hp but then the motor would be bigger with more rotating mass and it wouldn't feel as light. Oh and I'm very disappointed by Suzuki's terrible marketing support for this bike. They never advertise it and have done nothing to encourage an aftermarket to develop. AFAIK, however, there really is no better option on the market today in its class, except maybe a KDX220 or KTM EXC200.