Sign in to follow this  

Changing Out Coolant?

The Engine Ice has directions on the back. You need to drain the old coolant and fill the bike with a 50/50 mixture of water and vinegar. Run the bike for an hour with the mixture and then drain again. Then fill it with the Engine Ice only. Do NOT mix it with anything else. :bonk:

Don't skip this very important step. The 50/50 mixture neutralizes the old coolant so that the Engine Ice works properly. :D

Good Luck. :naughty:

You don't need to run it for an hour. This is straight from EI's site.

There are no special requirements for using Engine Ice.

For any coolant and anytime you are changing coolant, we recommend a simple solution of distilled water and white distilled vinegar, both available at your local grocery store.

1. Mix the water/vinegar at 50/50

2. Fill system with the solution

3. Run engine until warm

4. Let cool

5. Drain

6. Run clear water through to rinse out vinegar.

7. Fill with coolant of choice.

This is the same as cleaning your coffee maker. The vinegar is acidic enough to clean out and contaminants and residual coolants, yet it won’t harm your seals and gaskets.

You don't need to run it for an hour. This is straight from EI's site.

There are no special requirements for using Engine Ice.

For any coolant and anytime you are changing coolant, we recommend a simple solution of distilled water and white distilled vinegar, both available at your local grocery store.

1. Mix the water/vinegar at 50/50

2. Fill system with the solution

3. Run engine until warm

4. Let cool

5. Drain

6. Run clear water through to rinse out vinegar.

7. Fill with coolant of choice.

This is the same as cleaning your coffee maker. The vinegar is acidic enough to clean out and contaminants and residual coolants, yet it won’t harm your seals and gaskets.

This is EXACTLY what i did with my 450. Real easy. Engine Ice has made a difference.

ok...so I got my Engine Ice today. Instructions on the bottle and here are pretty straight forward. Thanks for the help so far.....

I looked in the owners maual and I don't see a drain plug...:bonk: . So, am I going to d/c the hose clamp that leads to the waterpump, pull the hose and drain from there?

It doesn't make sense to me because that would leave some residual coolant in the pump itself. Then when I flush it with the concoction of vinegar and water it would leave a residual of that behind. What am I missing here? Please don't tell me I have to remove the water pumper cover....I didn't get a replacement seal.......

I wanted to get this done before the weekend.:naughty:

i drained the green and added e-ice----ran it then drained again---then filled with e-ice again----i had some extra sitting around from my other bike

So where did you drain it from? The pump hose??

The lowest bolt on the water pump housing is the drain bolt. It's the lowest point on the cooling system.

Lean the bike left and right a few times while draining to swish a little more out.

OK I admit it. I didn't bother to read the instructions on the back of the bottle before I put the engine ice in my bike. I can't imagine that it will hurt it. Am I wrong. I also don't read assembly instructions, warning stickers, road maps, or notes my wife leaves me. :bonk:

The lowest bolt on the water pump housing is the drain bolt. It's the lowest point on the cooling system.

Lean the bike left and right a few times while draining to swish a little more out.

THANKS! THAT is exactly what I was looking for. I can't believe it doesn't detail that in the manual. 'preciate it! :bonk:

You can simply pour some Distilled water into the rad with the drain bolt out until you get clear water out too. Pour, shake the bike around a bit..drain etc..

WOW HAHAHA , i've been using engine ice for years and I have never once done a 50/50 mix... I just drain the coolant, then flush it with distilled water, and then filler up with the ICE...

OK...just finished. THAT was a piece of cake! I even had enought left over to change out my son's CR85! Now I just have to put in that new front tube and I'm ready to go riding this weekend! :bonk:

Actually I've used EI and never knew there were any instructions about this! Just drained the green and poured in the EI.

The stuff you learn on TT . . .

THANKS! THAT is exactly what I was looking for. I can't believe it doesn't detail that in the manual. 'preciate it! :bonk:

Glad I could help. Happy trails!!!

When I changed mine I just flushed it with normal water is that bad?