Sign in to follow this  

Tube change , How often?

if the tube looks like the rubber is perishing or it is loosing any pressure quickly then replace it other wise just keep reusing the tube.

i replace my tube about every 4-5 tires i go through. I go through tires super quick though. I run HD tubes, when you install a tube put some baby powder in a bag and then put the tube in there so it gets a nice coating of baby powder. It cuts down on friction, helps with pinch flats and makes the tubes last longer.

I replace based on the tube's condition. If you're seeing cracks in the rubber, or rust around the valve stem, that's a sign to change.

Also, it usually pays to replace thin tubes with thicker ones.

And the baby powder (talc type) advice is also good.

Changing the tubes often really depends on the bike. I have a 2002 XR100 that has the original tubes even after three tire changes. The front tube even has three patches on it. Two from thorns and one I pinched putting on a tire. My big bikes I change tubes every tire change. I race flattrack, and the tires at times get so hot they will actually blister. That heat must affect the tubes also, or at least I would think it would. So the big bikes get new tubes along with tires. I don't think MX or trail ridder's tires get very hot, so you probably can get by with re-using tubes.

i change them everytime i change the tire. i dont want to lose a race from a flat because i was being cheap.

The only time I change mine is when I get a flat riding or with a tire iron!

I use a new one at least every 2nd tire. If the old one is in good shape, I just throw it in the trailer as a spare. I have given many of them away to guys who weren't prepared.

I use a new one at least every 2nd tire. If the old one is in good shape, I just throw it in the trailer as a spare. I have given many of them away to guys who weren't prepared.

can i have some of yours? i usually put a new tube in the first tire change (bridgestone ultra heavy duty), then i never change it again. if it goes flat (i've had 2-3 flats in 25,000 miles) i patch it and put it back in.

The only time I change mine is when I get a flat riding or with a tire iron!

Same with me. I've used the same rear tube in a tire for over 3 years before! That was between 30-40 changes between swaping tires, direction changes, and new tires. And I don't use heavy duty tubes. If you have the tire inflated correctly for the conditions you'll probably only pinch the tube when you have a bad day with the tire irons.:bonk: