Sign in to follow this  

callouses and corned up palms

i noticed that whenever i ride my palms hurt where the corns are.right now they hurt and are very sensitive to touch especially now that i have taken the hard and dried up skin. what do you guys do to prevent callouses and corns on your palms??? :bonk:

yea, let them get all tough... mine dissapeared over the winter... it's gonna suck next weekend when i get back out.

I have had these same problems and did two things to help the problem.

1. I switched grips to a larger radius grip.

pro-grip-rally-grips.jpg

2. I Buy my gloves as tight in the palm area as possible, and never buy until Ive tried them on and checked the fit.

This help for a few reasons, but had one downside. The larger radius decreases the amount of wrinkle in my hands skin contacting the grip and caused less pain. Also a tight glove will slip less against your skin and cause less friction.

On the down side, I got arm pump worse than normal till i got used to the bigger grip.

• Like 1

Trim the callouses with a razorblade. You get blisters below the callouses. I also wear ladies dress nylon gloves with the fingers cut halfway off. Black or white, no matter. This gives you a slick surface for the glove to slip on and not pull at the skin on your hands. I have been doing this since 1979. Way before "UNDERWARE" came out. Infact they were copying me. The nylon gloves as glove liners last about 3-6 events and are well worth the $8 each they cost.

Dwight

I have had these same problems and did two things to help the problem.

1. I switched grips to a larger radius grip.

pro-grip-rally-grips.jpg

2. I Buy my gloves as tight in the palm area as possible, and never buy until Ive tried them on and checked the fit.

This help for a few reasons, but had one downside. The larger radius decreases the amount of wrinkle in my hands skin contacting the grip and caused less pain. Also a tight glove will slip less against your skin and cause less friction.

On the down side, I got arm pump worse than normal till i got used to the bigger grip.

ive got the exact grip on my bike that you posted their. it helped a lot though. maybe my gloves are the problem. thanks for the tip anyway. :bonk:

Trim the callouses with a razorblade. You get blisters below the callouses. I also wear ladies dress nylon gloves with the fingers cut halfway off. Black or white, no matter. This gives you a slick surface for the glove to slip on and not pull at the skin on your hands. I have been doing this since 1979. Way before "UNDERWARE" came out. Infact they were copying me. The nylon gloves as glove liners last about 3-6 events and are well worth the $8 each they cost.

Dwight

i just trimed them 3 days ago and sadly they did more harm than good when i was out on my bike. the area where them callouses used to be were so painful to the touch and i got a blister! i think i should try that nylon gloves that you mentioned Dwight. :naughty:

BTW is their an ointment or something that you rub on them blisters to ease the pain abit???

ive got the exact grip on my bike that you posted their. it helped a lot though. maybe my gloves are the problem. thanks for the tip anyway. :bonk:

Same here! The 714's are the ONLY grips I'll put on my bikes. A smaller diameter grip causes my hands to cramp up baaaaadly.

There are a couple of other things you might try with regard to the blisters...you could get a bottle of the liquid band-aid, "New Skin" at the pharmacy and put it on your hand's problem areas before you ride; you could also pick up a resin bag (like the one's baseball pitchers and bowlers use) and put a light dusting of it on your hands and in your gloves....

Trim the callouses with a razor blade. You get blisters below the callouses.

Dwight

You can also use sandpaper to trim the callouses off. Takes longer than the razor blade but might be easier for some people.

You can also use sandpaper to trim the callouses off. Takes longer than the razor blade but might be easier for some people.

Been there, done that too! At the very least, it's safer than using a blade...

I have had these problems... Until this last weekend. What Dwight told you is likely true since he is a pro. But I did some different stuff than him.

First, the fit of you gloves is crucial. You need to get a pair that is snug and not loose. Second, but soft compound grips. Other than that I put baby powder in my gloves to soak up the sweat. This prevented blisters from forming. I also took 2 aspirins before the event. This helped with arm pump by lowering your blood preassure.

very good thread guys i have the same problem with blisters when i ride. im gonna try those renthal kevlar grips and some new gloves. thanks for the info.

i noticed that whenever i ride my palms hurt where the corns are.right now they hurt and are very sensitive to touch especially now that i have taken the hard and dried up skin. what do you guys do to prevent callouses and corns on your palms??? :bonk:

you know I tryed everything I made sure my gloves fit right and got bigger gripps everything. I also loosened my grip on the bars and nothing worked especialy when I like to go WFO on a trail you have to hold on. so my aunt got me these gloves that are called Underwear gloves they are made of kevlar and you put them on first and then put your gloves on and it totaly makes it so your hands dont hurt and no callouses or blisters or anything. here are some moose ones that are just like the ones I have they work great I seriously recomend getting a pair because they really do work. here is the link

http://www.ridegear.com/rg/item/F-15791/Moose__Kevlar_Original_Full_Glove_Liner_.html

or

http://www.mooseracing.com/catalog.jsp?level1=1354&product_group_id=4359

• Like 1

thanks for the tip guys. :bonk: i just bought a set of "fingerless gloves" today. their kinda silky and fit pretty well. then i tried wearing my ussual moto gloves with "fingerless gloves" underneath and they fit perfectly!!! i will be testing them tomorrow. :naughty:

Actually medium to firm grips are best for blister prevention. Soft grips tend to pull at your hands. Firmer grips will allow a bit of slippage. I like the dual density grips with the soft area in the palm and firmer area for your fingers.

Dwight