Sign in to follow this  

Help for basics

Suggestions for setting up practice turns for the wife please.She is 42 and on an 07 TTR-230 (her first dirt bike). She is learning quick but continues to drive around turns and steer like on her quad. I am not the best teacher and do not want to ruin her excitement for the sport. What can she do to make turning easier???? How can I simplify the process for her?

Thanks for any suggestions

In my oppinion, and you'll know if this is the case, but more often then not having a boyfriend or husband teach winds up in the girl being frustrated or pissed at you. If you're going to try anything, you have to first off make sure that she wants to be faster/better, not that it's you that wants her to be so. If she for sure does want to be faster, then I would start by offering to do a semi-private lesson together. That way the instructor can teach her what she needs to know, and you can work on stuff too. Then everyone wins. If she really does want to be faster, then this is the time to eliminate all the bad habbits that willl inevitably form and stick otherwise.

Just my thoughts. Good Luck, wish I could find a woman that rides.:bonk:

Suggestions for setting up practice turns for the wife please.She is 42 and on an 07 TTR-230 (her first dirt bike). She is learning quick but continues to drive around turns and steer like on her quad. I am not the best teacher and do not want to ruin her excitement for the sport. What can she do to make turning easier???? How can I simplify the process for her?

Thanks for any suggestions

Set up a cone and have her make left and right turns. Stress looking through the turns and to where she wants to go and not at the cone. You may want to set something up to have her look at down the way. This is to help look down to where she wants to go.

This helped my wife a lot! They use this in street bike training a lot.

Good luck.

Whoop!

Paul

make her do figure 8`s out in a field somewhere. Start with really big ones. and work your way down to smaller tighter ones then back to big ones. Then just critique her along the way. Or get someone else to critique if your worried about the realtionship.

Gotta say I'm with thumper33 on this one. The video camera method can help also. But let an instructor do the real teaching and you just stand aside and be the support mechanism ie. join in on the fun. That way her skills improve and your relationship gets a chance to grow stronger.

If she wants to take classes great, if not I'd go with figure 8's.

It's whatever she wants to do or she'll quit like mine did.

In my oppinion, and you'll know if this is the case, but more often then not having a boyfriend or husband teach winds up in the girl being frustrated or pissed at you. If you're going to try anything, you have to first off make sure that she wants to be faster/better, not that it's you that wants her to be so. If she for sure does want to be faster, then I would start by offering to do a semi-private lesson together. That way the instructor can teach her what she needs to know, and you can work on stuff too. Then everyone wins. If she really does want to be faster, then this is the time to eliminate all the bad habbits that willl inevitably form and stick otherwise.

Just my thoughts. Good Luck, wish I could find a woman that rides.:bonk:

This works great for kids too! You shop will know of some place that provides lessons. Well worth it. :naughty:

• Like 1

to turn quickly she has to learn to lean the bike. if she is turning left, she needs toextend her left arm straight and lean the bike wile her right arm is bent. this may seem awkward at first but if you can teach her to weight her footpegs, it makes it alot easier. how to weigh the footpegs. while turning left, you push down on the right footpeg, and while turning right push down on the left footpeg. this will keep you balanced as you lean your bike in the turns. the figure 8 practice is very good advice, i taught 3 kid's to ride using that technique. GOOD LUCK!

Great advice everyone, I have just recently started riding again, so this will help me as well. A little advice for you men(unwarranted, I know, so please go easy) when it comes to us women, SUGGEST things(riding technique, etc), it will make your lives easier.👍

Time on the bike will do more than all the teaching in the world. Just let her ride and make sure she's having fun when riding. She'll pick up more on her own over time than you'll ever be able to teach.

Once she has the time in, she'll start noticing things on her own and she'll ask how to correct the problems. When she watches you go through a corner 4 times faster than her, she'll ask you how you do it and open the door for advice.

Give it time and she'll learn. How much time? Years!