Sign in to follow this  

Suggestions for wife please

Suggestions for setting up practice turns for the wife please. She is 42 and on an 07 TTR-230 (her first dirt bike). She is learning quick and a trooper on smaller hills but continues to drive around turns and steer like on her quad. I am not the best teacher and do not want to ruin her excitement for the sport. What can she do to make turning easier???? How can I simplify the process for her?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

A suggestion for you is to get 2 traffic cones (or tires, or whatever) and have her ride around them in a figure eight pattern, increasing speed all the while. The idea here is to :

a) get her used to turning both directions at speed

:naughty: get her using the front brake as well as the rear

c) get her putting more weight on the front wheel (weight transfer)

By doing this, your wife will become a more confident and better rider, which will make the sport more exciting for you and her. It's a win-win deal!!!:bonk:

Put out some cones. Do the figure eight pattern like KR suggested.

Also, is she focusing on the front wheel or the ground directly infront of the bike? That will mess you up too.

One thing that kind of helped me was using my legs. Using the outside knee to 'push' through the turn really helps. If she focuses ahead (avoid target fixation) and concentrates on pushing through the turn it may help her. It helped me when I was a newbie.

Make sure she is using the clutch! My wife rode street bikes and always "drove" around the corners. (GSXR750) Now she is in the dirt and all is different, weight the outside peg, lean bike in, sit on top, ride the cap, all that stuff. What I took for granted was she was using the clutch in the turns when needed. Not the case, once she got to using the clutch in the turns, especially the slow stuff all was good. 'course then we figured out tire pressure really does make a difference and all became good! We both ride DRZ's me a 400, her a 250.:naughty::bonk:

get someone but you to practise with her

spouses are not good teachers - sorry

• Like 1

get someone but you to practise with her

spouses are not good teachers - sorry

Have her sign up for a class, most shops have a list of places that provide them for their customers. Usually the class is one day and its jam packed. They learn from the very basics and by the end of the day (depending on her abilities) she could be power shifting and power sliding. It all depends on the size of the class, her abilities and willingness to learn. After that it's all practice on the trails or track, just ride, ride, ride. Good luck.