Sign in to follow this  

knock noise. Tensioner?

I've searched this thread on the know, it is pretty loud on the left side of the motor. Hoping I did not lose the bottom end.

I've read some post that it might be the cam chain tensioner. How do I check this.

Is it just he adjuster or is it the plastic guide in the motor.

After I check this, if it is not the culprit, I'll pull the spark plug and check the rod.

Oh this is on a 2003 CRF450.

My 2004 did the same thing and I ended up getting a new cam chain and tensioner. Wasn't that hard to fix at all.

So it is just the tensioner itself? The part that has the two 8mm screws or the plastic part in the motor?

How did you know it was bad?

Sweet, that is what it does, it is also louder than hell at idle, and she seems to not want to idle it dies.

So what parts do I need to replace?

Cam chain tensioner, Honda lists the part as the "Lifter" But install an 04- newer unit. The one on my 03 failed at about 1300RPM and ended up costing me a valve train. They updated the part in 04 but never superseded it for the older models. But it does fit and works great.

Also order a new gasket for it, where it plugs into the cylinder.

its like 2 bolts and should take you no more than about 10 minutes to change, with a beer in one hand.

It is automatic. some of the new tensioners will come pre loaded with a lil tool holding it in. Just release this tool after you install the tensioner and the tensioner will unload and apply pressure to the chain. Make sure it turns out completetely by turning it clockwise with the tool a hair with the tool after you unload it.

Install the bolt that covers it, and go ride.

Nope...you better change the cam chain as well. I am sure that it has stretched. Mine started making the same noise and I ended up having to change the chain too. You will have to get a CRF flywheel puller.

I did the APE Suzuki Hayabusa manual cam chain tensioner on my 450r. The LAST thing you want is a cam chain failure. That will guarantee you a "DNF".

Mine was knocking before the rebuild. While disassembling the top end I removed the left cover to replace the cam chain. To my horror I could grab the fly wheel and move it up and down, left and right. It was making the same knocking noise as if it was running. The top end rebuild turned into a complete rebuild. The old crank bearing sounded like a tamboreen when it was shaken in your hand outside the motor.

Just something worth checking.