Sign in to follow this  

Desert 100----Race Predictions

Who else wants to make a prediction about how they will do at this years Desert 100. I'll go out on a limb here and say that I'll won't have to be Life Flighted off the course by helicopter to the nearest hospital.My other prediction is that Sunday morning I'll be prepared to trade Canadian beer for a cup of coffee. :bonk::naughty:

i plan on finishing both laps and not getting last. :bonk: everyone i talk to says its really hard, and i ask "why??" and they say its the rocks and the water. then i say, "hey i do that every time i go riding. Walker valley has high speed and some water. Rieter pit has the rocks that will pop you tires (never had one, knock on wood) and a river crossing."

i think it will be a great event. first time doing it, really excited

:naughty:

I sincerely hope no one gets flown out this year....

I have stood there and held elevated IV bags while I watched it land and then see it take off wondering if the rider was gonna make it and it is one of the most gut wrenching feelings I've experienced...

I have ran the Dez 100 sweep crew for the last 4 or 5 years and when the ground medic pulls out his GPS and Cell Phone to call them in it puts one into a surreal state of mind and you start wondering "why do I and all of these people race off road, if this can happen?"

But 10 miles later as I rip through a green valley or look at the course from a bluff and see everyone racing, the answer comes to me:applause:

What ever your goals are for this year.... carry tools, food, water and never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly....

Good luck guys, and if you run into me I hope it's over a cold beer after the finish and not out on the course:ride:

I predict 70% will have the lives of their suspension linkages reduced by 70% or more. This number could easily be reduced to 0% if everyone greased their linkages when they got home.

I also predict 30% will have the lives of their engines reduced by one half or more. This one's a little tougher to prevent, modern 4-strokes don't take water ingestion too well. Seal-up those air boxes and don’t suck water in your engine, or make sure you have a rebuild in your budget.

I know someone who i will guess will end up in the top 20 at least if he does not go down. last year he got 15th and had broken something below his collar bone in his back 300 yds. from the pits on the last lap. his name is Kayline McKerdy he will be riding a kx 500. i would be racing but my parents are in the middle of buying 20 acres so we dont have any money to waste. good luck everyone :bonk:

e

I also predict 30% will have the lives of their engines reduced by one half or more. This one's a little tougher to prevent, modern 4-strokes don't take water ingestion too well. Seal-up those air boxes and don’t suck water in your engine, or make sure you have a rebuild in your budget.

How do you seal up the air box and still allow air through? Obviously you don't mean completely, but I should probably do that before the race. As far as the predictions, I hope to place top 30 in my division. Over the hill C. I rode my 95 300mxc last year and didn't do well. Front flat, dumped it in the river and had to get it going again, and a severed front brake line. :bonk::naughty: This year I have the 04 525mxc:applause:

i plan on finishing both laps and not getting last. :bonk: everyone i talk to says its really hard, and i ask "why??" and they say its the rocks and the water. then i say, "hey i do that every time i go riding. Walker valley has high speed and some water. Rieter pit has the rocks that will pop you tires (never had one, knock on wood) and a river crossing."

i think it will be a great event. first time doing it, really excited

:D

Alex..... never, I repeat, NEVER, will Walker Valley have the speed that the Desert 100 has :naughty:

And the rocks in Odessa, unlike Gold Bar, are camouflaged and a lot sharper. (I think they even have legs enabling them to jump out in front of you)

The water crossing on the King Ranch is substantially deeper than what you'll typically find at Reiter and Walker most of the time but you should be fine. Ride smart and finish... it's really a numbers thing, we all hear of these Desert 100 stories of mech failures, swampings, injuries and the fact of the matter is - you put that many people on a course at a time, tell them to go 100 miles at race pace and sheet is going to happen to a certain % of them, it's just numbers combined with bad luck and a lot of times poor judgement.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

Alex..... never, I repeat, NEVER, will Walker Valley have the speed that the Desert 100 has :bonk:

And the rocks in Odessa, unlike Gold Bar, are camouflaged and a lot sharper. (I think they even have legs enabling them to jump out in front of you)

The water crossing on the King Ranch is substantially deeper than what you'll typically find at Reiter and Walker most of the time but you should be fine. Ride smart and finish... it's really a numbers thing, we all hear of these Desert 100 stories of mech failures, swampings, injuries and the fact of the matter is - you put that many people on a course at a time, tell them to go 100 miles at race pace and sheet is going to happen to a certain % of them, it's just numbers combined with bad luck and a lot of times poor judgement.

Good Luck!

thanks yeah i understand that its is going to be alot different than anything i have ever done before, but thats one reason why i want to do it. I am going to try and take it easy and figure out how it goes and how the terrain works before i really get on it. i think i will also watch a couple people cross the water before i take a stab at it. glad i got some good tires and heavy duty tubes hahaha. :naughty:

thanks for the support and information

What do some of the top time riders run it in? Im not saying Im going to be up there just curious. For me personally Im going for the t shirt!

I sincerely hope no one gets flown out this year....

I have stood there and held elevated IV bags while I watched it land and then see it take off wondering if the rider was gonna make it and it is one of the most gut wrenching feelings I've experienced...

I have ran the Dez 100 sweep crew for the last 4 or 5 years and when the ground medic pulls out his GPS and Cell Phone to call them in it puts one into a surreal state of mind and you start wondering "why do I and all of these people race off road, if this can happen?"

But 10 miles later as I rip through a green valley or look at the course from a bluff and see everyone racing, the answer comes to me:applause:

What ever your goals are for this year.... carry tools, food, water and never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly....

Good luck guys, and if you run into me I hope it's over a cold beer after the finish and not out on the course:ride:

Nice post Don :bonk:

Don, we there be any fjording (deep river crossings) on the Iron man or family poker run course?

There has been some discussion regarding the Ironman PR.... rumor has it that we have been a little soft on you guys over the past few years and Stumpjumpers take that kind of rumor seriously:busted: No promises or verification yet but don't be surprised if the Ironman has some additional challenges thrown in.

Family PR will be dooable and challenging for all skill levels.

Don, I am bringing my GPS....just in case. 😛

Everyone else, speed is the biggest factor out at Odessa. All the terrain is easily ridable, it is the speed that can bite you. Hit a rock at 10mph then hit the same rock at 50mph.....two different results. On the plus side there aren't that many trees out there. 😛 Becuase everything happens with more amplitude with speed....remember to air up your tires. THis isn't 5mph Walker/Reiter this is 50 mph Desert 100 we are talking about. Air up, a flat tires gets much worst traction than a hard one. 😛

I hope to be assisting at the water crossing again. I am the big guy helping haul bikes out for the last couple years. If I suggest which side to attempt to cross.....please take it into consideration. :D I don't WANT to haul your drowned out 450 monster up the slippery bank. :naughty::bonk: lol The awsome volunteer crew that helped get riders going will be riding the event themselves.....

*****BRING YOUR OWN TOOLS******

That includes the reliable 4-stroke riders. Bring a damn plug wrench...we had one plug wrench for all the bikes. None of the racers carried one. :bonk: It isn't for it fouling, it is for getting the water out of your cylinder. It is a hell of a long walk back to the truck for a plug wrench. Bring it with you, "just in case" 😛 You will lose a lot more places sitting with a water logged engine than if you pack one for 100 miles. 😛

I am so excited for this the event!

Don, we there be any fjording (deep river crossings) on the Iron man or family poker run course?

no major crossings this year. race only!!

yes all riders

BRING TOOLS!!!!!

BRING WATER YOU WILL GET THIRSTY!!!

OH YA DID I ALSO SAY BRING TOOLS!!!

AND MAKE SURE YOUR BIKE CAN GO ATLEAST 50MILES ON A TANK ITS A LONG WALK BACK...