Sign in to follow this  

Big Hill Climbs

I have a DRZ 400 and watch people with the same bike climb huge hills. When I try I cant make it half way. What is the secret to climbing hills?

I have a DRZ 400 and watch people with the same bike climb huge hills. When I try I cant make it half way. What is the secret to climbing hills?

Like the man said, momentum is the key, hit the climb with as much speed as possible and do everything you can to maintain the momentum. Too much rear air pressure will hurt you, stay around 8-10 PSI.

try to find the spot that spaces the weight so that you are getting traction, but not too much or you may flip, and not enought weight to the back will make the wheel spin. work on that balance point. also maintain good throttle control. once again too much the rear will spin, not enough you will loose your momentum.:bonk:

I was taught that hillclimbs are done, or not done, in the first 1/4 of the hill. If you go into the climb with enough momentum, it's easy. If not, it's going to be hard. Stay on the gas, but don't spin it up if you can avoid it.

Get it done in the first 1/4 of the hill.

Be committed, keep the right hand steady and pick good lines. For example, don't go over big rocks that may cause you to let of the throttle. When you spool the engine back up, it's really hard for the back tire to grip.

You're better off controlling the wheelspin with the clutch instead of modulating the throttle. If you let too far off the gas, the bike will bog and you'll stall. If you keep you're throttle hand steady, just give the clutch some quick jabs to either control wheelspin, keep the front end down, or keep the revs up.

Line selection is crucial. Its better to sit at the bottom of a hill and watch what lines the others are taking instead of going up the wrong line, tumbling down, and landing on your ass.

Other than that just practice, practice, practice!!

Momentum is your friend. The fastes that you get to a hill the better. Just remember to be on control. Try to pick your lines. most of the times i hit the hills in 3rd and gear down as needed. The important factor is to keep moving if you stop or start spining the wheel you are done.

Remember the basic riding, If is to bumpy stand for control, If you are going to hit a section that could get your tire spining get your butt in the seat for traction.

If you stop the best option turn around go down and try again. It is faster to do that than to try to push your bike up. Only if you have a small area behind you that you think it can give you room to keep going some times I just back up a little and try it. If that doesn't work well now you know what to do.

I have a DRZ400E 2002 with 15/47 No problems with the hills so far. I used to prerun in Baja 250 and did all the hills with no problemas.

Hope that helps...

This is what you need to conquer the gnarliest hills:

1) momentum

2) line selection - plan a line prior to take off, look ahead, not directly infront of your tire

3) body english - hug that gas tank, elbows up, 1-2 fingers on the clutch

4) most importantly, practice! I practice as much as I can and hit every hill I see.

Hill climbing is such a rush!

mojavedec06012-1-1.jpg

• Like 2

I used to believe it had a lot to do with momentum... Went riding with an ex professional hill climber... He and his son now ride for fun and ride Yamaga 450s. He`rolls to the bottom of the hill as if to tease it... Then he just rides up the hill ! My friends haul ass to the bottom of the hill and get stopped 1/2 way up... It's about line... and traction... Most of us hit the bottom so fast we don't make a good line... we don't have good control... we just rail the throttle... we are amped up and throttle ON... Clearly there is more to it than that and I am learning new techniques now...

One thing my hill climber buddy does is he isn't afraid to sit on the rear tire to get good bite... using his out stretched leg/s like a motoxer in a corner to keep weight up front when the front lifts... but he doesn't sit on the tank... he gets max traction and uses leg/body position to control looping out... Most of us just spin the tire all the way up the hill till we dig in and stop.

• Like 1

I agree with Bolt. There's definitely some technique involved. I have a 450 and I prefer climbing hills in second gear. I don't sit on the tank. If you hit a soft spot on the hill and the front digs in, you are toast.

I like to keep my butt centered or a little to the rear. Then I lean over the bars.

Regarding the clutch, its good to keep the bike revving where the power is, but I sometime use the throttle to keep the bike going.

When it gets really tricky, stand up and keep your head over the bars. Then sit back down when you can to preserve your energy.

Man up, be brave. Confidence is key!

obviously momentum isnt the only thing that's gunna get you to the top. if you have plenty of traction you can always just bog the bike to the top, but if it's slick then your gunna have to hold her wide. pic the best line and hope for the best. i've got couple gnarly hill climbs under my belt, i need to bring the camera on my next trail ride

My prefered method is 2nd gear sitting down, pin it right before starting the climb and always be ready to feather the clutch if I start to loose RPM's.

I never, ever, downshift, it's too risky; neutral:eek: is the worst thing that can happen going up a hill and even if I catch 1st I've lost all my momentum.

Why do you fail? what is the cause? loss of traction?

I used to believe it had a lot to do with momentum... Went riding with an ex professional hill climber... He and his son now ride for fun and ride Yamaga 450s. He`rolls to the bottom of the hill as if to tease it... Then he just rides up the hill ! My friends haul ass to the bottom of the hill and get stopped 1/2 way up... It's about line... and traction... Most of us hit the bottom so fast we don't make a good line... we don't have good control... we just rail the throttle... we are amped up and throttle ON... Clearly there is more to it than that and I am learning new techniques now...

One thing my hill climber buddy does is he isn't afraid to sit on the rear tire to get good bite... using his out stretched leg/s like a motoxer in a corner to keep weight up front when the front lifts... but he doesn't sit on the tank... he gets max traction and uses leg/body position to control looping out... Most of us just spin the tire all the way up the hill till we dig in and stop.

:bonk: That's what I've seen with experts. I was always reasonably good at hillclimbs, at least compared to my other riding skills :naughty: The thing I see most often in riders who have trouble with climbing is a fear that they'll flip, so they're reluctant to get their weight too far back. Weight equals traction, if you keep as far back as possible while still having enough weight on the front to just skip along and provide steering then you've got maximum traction for driving you upwards. If you pick your line to get the best traction and constantly modulate the throttle to make the most of whatever grip the back tyre can get you'll do well.

• Like 1

That hill looks like tons of fun. Too bad that's like 28659862398425 times bigger than ANYTHING around this crappy state I live in.

I also like to roll up to the bottom of the hill, fan the clutch alittle and hang on. Sometimes when I carry a lot of momentum into a hill it knocks me off course. But I guess it all comes down to your style of riding and more important the hill that you are climbing.