Sign in to follow this  

ATK 605 starter help

'99 605: I recently got this very used bike, and the starter just won't turn over past compression and actually won't get back to the next compression cycle.

I haven't had the battery load tested (what's the home version?) but it holds a charge, shows 13+ when charged. The voltage/headlight drop to near nothing when the starter is engaged but recover and the battery can take several of these loads before falling below 12v. I cleaned all conections from the battery to the starter and then removed the starter and cleaned the commutator/brushes. I didn't find anything obvious and it did spin stronger on the bench afterwards but no change mounted. None of the commutator segments are shorted to the shaft and that's as much as I know.

I'ld appreciate your feedback

Gerry

Cape Rosier, Me.

'99 605: I recently got this very used bike, and the starter just won't turn over past compression and actually won't get back to the next compression cycle.

I haven't had the battery load tested (what's the home version?) but it holds a charge, shows 13+ when charged. The voltage/headlight drop to near nothing when the starter is engaged but recover and the battery can take several of these loads before falling below 12v. I cleaned all conections from the battery to the starter and then removed the starter and cleaned the commutator/brushes. I didn't find anything obvious and it did spin stronger on the bench afterwards but no change mounted. None of the commutator segments are shorted to the shaft and that's as much as I know.

I'ld appreciate your feedback

Gerry

Cape Rosier, Me.

If youve cleaned all connections, and it still wont work, it sure sounds like it might be the sprag clutch. Id recommend calling Dan at Motoxotica regarding this problem. If anyone can help you, its him. 707-446-4282

Did you ever get this starting thing figured out? I know that on my 605 I bought a brand new battery and had the exact same symptons. Figured there was no way it could be the battery. Guess what? Yep, it was the battery. Anothe $75 on a good battery and it fired right up!

+1 on the battery. I've had bad luck w/the AGM type batteries as well. They last about 6 months, and usually fail after a long wide open run.