Sign in to follow this  

Rooster or Flatland rad guards for a 2007 TE450.. which is stronger?

Well just got my bike, was riding it yesterday and got stuck up in a low hanging vine in a trail and dumped the bike sideways. Luckily I think the impact was taken on the bar end via my Cycra probends. So I don't think the radiator really got a hit, or if it did it was minor, I don't see any dents/bending, etc. But that convinced me enough that I was lucky and next time the radiators might get a nice hit. So I want to get Rad guards asap, just don't know which is stronger, the Flatlands or the Roosters? also which is easier to install and which allows the bike to run cooler? I was orginally going to get the CRD's but I notice that sticks can easily get kicked up into the front of the radiator too.. so the full protection of the flatlands or roosters would be better for me.

Both priced at $80 with $10 shipping, so I don't know which to get... help please..

btw.. I read all the Rad guard posts I could find, this is why I'm confused, it's about 50/50 between Flatland and Rooster from what I read..

I like my Flatland rad guards! :bonk::naughty:

Flip a coin. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Norm - Where are you in NY? We should get a TT group ride going this summer.

lol this is what I mean, so hard to decide. Does one guards offer MORE protection than the other?

how hard is the install of these guards? do I need to cut anything or drill holes or do they bolt right on? do I need to remove the radiators to get them on?

I like my Flatland rad guards! :bonk::naughty:

Flip a coin. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Norm - Where are you in NY? We should get a TT group ride going this summer.

I live in the Central Fingerlakes, near Ithaca/Cornell University. Where are you thinking about a TT ride?

Norman

lol this is what I mean, so hard to decide. Does one guards offer MORE protection than the other?

how hard is the install of these guards? do I need to cut anything or drill holes or do they bolt right on? do I need to remove the radiators to get them on?

Can't directly answer your question regarding the Roosters since I put the Flatland Racing ones on my '05 TE510. They went on easily and intuitively. Some of the OEM Husky hardware (bolts) seemed to be made from cheese, and this was the first occasion I had to start replacing some of the soft Husky screws and bolts with "real" hardware. Nothing related to the rad guards, and I would have done the same regardless of the brand I was installing.

I really did like the Flatland stuff I bought, including the rad guards and skid plate.

Tom

I believe I've answered this on one or two of your posts when you were doing your initial comparisons, but the more posts I have the sooner I can be a true Husky Forum TTer.... I believe it's just over 960 more posts...

Anyway, to be serious, regarding the Flatlands, on my 07 TE510, took very little time, no drilling, and very easy to install... unfortunately can't compare em to the Roosters, so again a useless comparison post on my part. But no overheating issues... as of yet.... I would get them again, or maybe the Roosters... or the Flatlands.... or the Roosters.... or....

... I like the idea of flipping the darn coin. Need a quarter?

By the way, congrats on the new bike!

See ya,

Chris

does anybody know the thickness of the aluminum on the Rooster rad guards? I know the Flatlands are 1/8" thick aluminum..

Also I see the Rooster gaurds are powder coated.. and the flatlands are NOT. So wouldn't it be better to get the Power-coated Roosters?

Thanks..

Rooster did good by me. Here's a shot of the black powder coated Roosters on my recently completed SMR. I love the look, company was awesome to deal with and they went on pretty easy. You just need to buy some longer rad shroud bolts and the shrouds mount right up. The stock bolts are cheesy (as described above) and not long enough anyway.

Also got the pipe guard... get'em all in one box so the wife doesn't know how much you're getting. :bonk:

husky_in_race_trim_5.jpg

Rooster did good by me. Here's a shot of the black powder coated Roosters on my recently completed SMR. I love the look, company was awesome to deal with and they went on pretty easy. You just need to buy some longer rad shroud bolts and the shrouds mount right up. The stock bolts are cheesy (as described above) and not long enough anyway.

Also got the pipe guard... get'em all in one box so the wife doesn't know how much you're getting. :naughty:

husky_in_race_trim_5.jpg

Good looking bike man :bonk:

Answer: Don't know but I ended my riding yesterdau with a crash that left me crawling around on the trail dazed and wracked with pain. Took me almost a minute to realize I was on a busy trail just below the brow of a hill. I crawled to the edge and after another two minutes clawed my way up a berm into a sitting position.

Bent the left side plastics back like paper airplane. Riped out the radiator scoop attachments ... but no damage to the radiator. Zero zip nada. Flatland guards.

I have several cracked or at least severly bruised ribs and a hematoma on my hip that sticks out about an inch and hurts like the devil. I can walk and I can breathe but just barely both at the same time. :naughty:

I believe in Flatland guards. :bonk:

Not much. If you want, you can come over and look at mine.

Both are crap.

The CRD's do not block airflow and are pretty sturdy.

how far out do the flatland guards stick away from the radiators?

Not sure at the moment. I'd go out front and measure for ya but I can't get outa this chair right now .... let alone down the front steps. Me poor bike is sitting on the bumper of the truck .... mud baking on in the sun and I can't do a frickin thing about it. :bonk:

Both are crap.

The CRD's do not block airflow and are pretty sturdy.

Just how are those going to stop a stick going through your radiator? This just happened to my friend two weeks ago. Woods riders get sticks flipping up behind the front wheel all the time. :bonk:

Just how are those going to stop a stick going through your radiator? This just happened to my friend two weeks ago. Woods riders get sticks flipping up behind the front wheel all the time. :bonk:

The stick is never going to hit the Radiator if it overheats on the way to the Woods.

My experience is in the Desert, California specifically and like the Woods there are a number of ways to get a Radiator harpooned even if you are careful.

My PERSONAL experience is that the Husky can got hot quicker than some other brands. I feel it is important to have a Puke Tank and make sure it is half full at all times as well as running the Factory louvers.

I have gotten away with the Flat type guards before but not on a Husky.

To each his own.

Good looking bike man :bonk:

Thanks. This is my first one, so I was doing a lot of research on what to buy for it. Thanks to the insight from TT, it was pretty easy to get this thing built with the right stuff on it. The knowledge here is almost mind boggling. I find myself overwhelmed sometimes... simply because I come from racing an SV650 where all you do is change the oil, turn the key and hit the start button. First impression though... this thing is A LOT more fun to ride. :naughty:

sorry to hear about your crash Scott, heal quick brother :bonk:

I went with the flatlands because they have a brace that goes behind the radiators so there are 3 mounting points. It is a one piece unit that protects the front and sides. I may be wrong but some guards dont have the piece that supports the guard by going across the back of the rad.