Adventure touring DRZ and extra fuel capacity

I am getting the bike ready for doing the continental divide ride this summer, about 5500 miles total in two weeks, adding in the distance to get to and from the start and end points. I needed a little extra fuel capacity and storage space. My set up is with Kolpin fuel cells, sold for ATV's, and one of the JC whitney 80$ chinese givi knock-off top cases using a 1'x1' 3/8" aluminum plate mounted to the OEM luggage rack to bolt the fuel cells and mount plate for the top case to. The rack on the top case is a real Givi item. With the IMS tank I"ll have 6.7 total gallons fuel capacity (the fuel cells are 1.25 g each). In the loaded mock up picture, I also have some moose ATV tank panniers on the rear of the seat, a cortech tail pack on the topcase rack, a drybag with my sleeping bag and inflatable twin size air mattress and another generic bag on top of that, with my tent in the back. Actual loading may change when the time comes. The seat is a Mayer saddle. Tires for the trip are MEFO explorers.

DSCN0823-1.jpg

DSCN0822.jpg

DSCN0825.jpg

Looks ready to go for sure! :bonk:

I want to do some long mileage trips someday soon too. Starting about 5300 miles less than your trip.

Have you done any suspension work? If so, what is your new spring rates for the extra weight?

Maybe a set of soft saddlebags will help get some of the weight down lower. Seems a bit top heavy to me.

Those panier gas tanks are really cool! What is the capacity of each tank? You ought to be able to do your 5.5K miles with about 5 gas stops. :bonk:

How much weight do you think your carrying back there? How long are you giving yourself to complete the ride? I hope some day soon I can take some long rides either here in the US or Mexico. Keep us updated on your trip.

Maybe a set of soft saddlebags will help get some of the weight down lower. Seems a bit top heavy to me.

Those panier gas tanks are really cool! What is the capacity of each tank? You ought to be able to do your 5.5K miles with about 5 gas stops. ?

RR Al.....I think he said they were 1.25 gallons each. :bonk:

Also, what are your secrets for the fantastic fuel mileage with estimating only 5 stops to tank up?? :bonk:

Terryth........how many people are going with you & what does your route?

Where did you get the big USAF Star Emblem on your tank? I'd like to put a couple on my 4.2 IMS like you did.

Best of Luck & take lots of pics and GPS waypoints:thumbsup:

Happy Riding !!

:naughty::D

Planned ride time is a little over two weeks, departure is June 29th. 1400 miles to get to rooseville, Mt, 2600 miles for the divide ride and 1200 miles to get back home from antelope springs NM. 1.25 gallons each for the tanks

I haven't actually packed any gear yet except for the sleeping bag and mattress in the dry bag. Anything up high will be for lightweight bulky items like insulated liners/overpants and evs ballistic jersey. I am still working on what riding gear to bring since there will be a wide range of temperatures and weather. Basically it comes down to the camping gear that has to go, hot weather and cold/wet weather gear and protective gear, or some compromise in riding gear. It depends on how much space things take up when I start packing riding gear. I haven't decided if I want to wear my MX boots for the entire trip, including the street portions yet. I got some new Oxtar TCS pro's that are a lot more comfortable out of the box than my 5 year old thor t-30's ever were. I'll be wearing them a lot in the next couple of months to decide. The heaviest stuff will go in the very bottom of the topbox or the very bottom behind me on the seat, like spares and tools. I will attempt to take the minimum possible, I have way too much riding gear to choose from that I have collected over the years, on/off road, leather/textile, cold weather/hot weather, way too many gloves for every possible condition. I am a bit of a gear junkie and don't give my wife shit about shoes anymore. Off road, especially on trails, I much prefer taller over wider, since taller is directly behind me and doesn't stick way out to the sides. Here is the load for a previous trip referenced here:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280912&highlight=1510

DSCF0414.jpg

Other essentials include my laptop, GPS, video equipment and cameras. I am going to take lots photo's and video's. There will be about 5 of us doing the trip.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7317655273209456470&hl=en

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2536645916222648956&hl=en

This is our route, kevin's a riding buddy. Its from a layout originally done by mountain bikers. The stickers are from a model airplane hobbie shop, fuel proof and all that. They still bubble a little on the IMS but not nearly as much as anything else I have tried, though they aren't as durable when you crash as regular graphics.

Terry

http://www.twotaildog.com/Motorcycling_the_Great_Divide/00Intro/Great_Divide_Intro.htm

http://www.hackneys.com/travel/CDR/cdr.htm

Terryth........how many people are going with you & what does your route?

Where did you get the big USAF Star Emblem on your tank? I'd like to put a couple on my 4.2 IMS like you did.

Best of Luck & take lots of pics and GPS waypoints:thumbsup:

Happy Riding !!

:bonk::naughty:

I have had the DRZ for 3 years or so now. I do ride some tough trails, but don't spend much time in the air jumping and stuff, so I have found the stock springs acceptable so far, even though I am a big guy. I did put a racetec 6.0 spring in the shock and racetec 5.2 fork springs this last week while I had it all apart to do suspension bearings, swing arm bushings, head bearings, fork fluid change, new sprockets and chain, etc, getting it ready for the trip. I haven't ridden it yet, but will be taking all the luggage off to do some trail riding around Mena, Arkansas in a couple of weeks.

Looks ready to go for sure! :bonk:

I want to do some long mileage trips someday soon too. Starting about 5300 miles less than your trip.

Have you done any suspension work? If so, what is your new spring rates for the extra weight?

I have had the DRZ for 3 years or so now. I do ride some tough trails, but don't spend much time in the air jumping and stuff, so I have found the stock springs acceptable so far, even though I am a big guy. I did put a racetec 6.0 spring in the shock and racetec 5.2 fork springs this last week while I had it all apart to do suspension bearings, swing arm bushings, head bearings, fork fluid change, new sprockets and chain, etc, getting it ready for the trip. I haven't ridden it yet, but will be taking all the luggage off to do some trail riding around Mena, Arkansas in a couple of weeks.

Keep up posted on how it rides with the new spring rates over the stock setup. Have fun! Post the pictures!

I also will be adventure riding on my DRZ-S soon. Like you, I chose a Kolpin (1.25 gal) for extra fuel (but mounted horizontally on rack) and the MEFO Explorer for tires. I chose soft luggage but will travel much lighter (for better or worse). GPS will be essential since I will be traveling portions of both Historic Route 66 and the Trans America Trail.

Please post your trip and gear experiences or evaluations. Thanks! :bonk:

I also will be adventure riding on my DRZ-S soon. Like you, I chose a Kolpin (1.25 gal) for extra fuel (but mounted horizontally on rack) and the MEFO Explorer for tires. I chose soft luggage but will travel much lighter (for better or worse). GPS will be essential since I will be traveling portions of both Historic Route 66 and the Trans America Trail.

Please post your trip and gear experiences or evaluations. Thanks! :bonk:

Be sure to post yours too. Sounds like a great area. How many miles?

Nice setup, looks good, I like how the fuel cells are mounted. I want to know how you swing your leg over the seat though? With just a smallish tailbag I hit my foot swinging it over and get the bag all muddy. Do you stand on the peg to climb on even with all the additional weight?

Look forward to seeing and reading about your trip!

Um, this may seem like a stupid question, but what happens when you lay the thing down on the pipe side and all that weight squeezes the plastic tank onto the hot pipe, it melts through while you are wrestling all that gear off you and POOF! you're a Bratwurst in a helmet?

All kidding aside, I really like the tank panniers but, All that weight up so high has to be tough to balance. Nice rack overall, do you have a metal heatshield welded between behind that tank?

Can you hang your 2 big bags on either side off the Givi just above the tanks?

I dunno I havent ridden it so maybe its fine. Looks like you have spent a lot of time planning it out so it must be ok. What's all that gear weigh? Gaspipe and another TTer rode the TAT with minimal gear they could tell you first hand what it takes.

Gaspipe where are you?

The fuel cell is actually further away form the muffler than the IMS tank is a way from the headpipe and the head pipe is much hotter than the muffler will ever get. I've squashed my radiators several times in spite of the IMS and unabiker guards, and I would be more worried about the main fuel tank. The cells are probably very tough, they advertise them to be able to be laid flat on an ATV rack and to be able to stack up to 300 lbs on top of them. The way they feel, the only way they are going to break is getting worn through sliding down pavement and the IMS will go the same way if I ever do crash on pavement and the bike slides a good distance.

I usually get on the bike from the side opposite the kickstand and get a foot up above the seat and slide over like DRjack mentions. I am 6'2" but have short legs with a only 32" inseam.