Sign in to follow this  

The XR400 to a CRF250 topic, one more time, pretty please

The valve issue post got me wondering, mostly because I thought the issues have been eliminated in the last 2 years. If you read nothing else , could you please answer this question, those of you that have some experience in the area?

Is a moderate at best rider, who is not going to rev the poopoo out of the bike, who is going to do all of his maintenance, on time or early, and really take care of his bike, going to have issues on with CRF250X? :bonk:

Right now, I'm in the process of liquidating all parts xR400, because I'm going to go down in size and weight, and ride something more my size. (Hopefully)

I love my XR, but I need to go smaller, and I've been juggling the thought of the CRF, the Blue bike, and maybe, but only maybe, the pumpkin. The orage bikes seems like it might be too much of a racer for me, but I'm not ruling it out yet. I need woods, kind of technical stuff, not insane fast, but would like to get a little speed at times, and the ability to plate it, just to ride the National Forests. I don't jump, I'd break too many bones and I can't go there.

I'd like to think the valve issues aren't going to be too much to worry about, would love to know what others think.

Not everyone has valve issues, and the issues are not only associated with poor maintenance and/or aggressive riding.

The problem seems to be diminishing as the newer models come along, although there have been no major changes in the head/valves/springs them selves.

The problem is solvable (e.g. RHC head/valve setup- $700).

It is considered a "race bike" so it will take a lot more maintenance (e.g. replacing piston, head, valves) then you're used to on your XR.

The bike is a lot faster and a lot more fun to ride than an XR400.

If it's an important issue for you, see:

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=344905