Sign in to follow this  

Good Durable Baja Backpack

Need the heads up on a good backpack for a 500 to 600 mile (hopefully the first of many) upcoming N. Baja trip in May. Anyone here have any recommendations for model and manufacturer? Looking for a pack that is comfortable, durable (would like it to last multiple years), has a water bladder capacity and is designed for trail riding in the "Baja" tried and proven . Also, would like one that distributes the weight inside it and secures the load. I don't mind spending the $$ on a good one:applause:.

Doc

I went to Adventure 16 in San Diego and bought mine. My riding buddy bought his at Target. Both worked out good, so there is the spectrum.:bonk:

For pre-running/long trips i use a large military spec pack with 3 litre water from Camelback. Comes in black camo or beige camo. Lots of room for all kinds of stuff. Nice features like an insulated water hose and padded shoulders.

The most important feature imho is double front buckles. One around the waist, and one around the chest. This way it wont be moving around.

I also like my MSR 'Dual Sport' model of butt pack. Its huge, and for tours or long rides i can load it up as needed. Very comfortable.

One trick i recommend is to safety zip tye the drink hose connections at both ends, no matter what type you buy.

I add Pro Fuel powder to my drink system--loads of potassium based electrolytes. Its the difference between feeling fresh and feeling waisted after 10 hours of sweating...hope that helps.

Thanks so much MikeKay for your valuable input!! Any other suggestions like tool lists, best rack packs (for a PMB rack) or number plate bags? My current tire combo is a Maxxis desert rear and a Dunlop 952F. Will they perform okay? Thanks for the Pro Fuel recommendation for the H2O system, I was going to use Gatorade or similar. Any other words of wisdom from your Baja travels? My bike is a '03 WR450 FYI if it matters.

Doc

Its nice to have a fender bag too. It would make me pretty nervous to fall on a backpack with tire irons and screwdrivers in it.

I run the OGIO "flight" vest....

I used to use the fanny packs (for tools) as anything bolted to the bike with tools in it gets beat to death. And then a backpack for other items, and (large) dog packs over my seat for rain gear or light jacket...etc.

Now, I use an OGIO vest which holds all my tools... and my hydration pack. It disburses all the weight across my shoulders and really isn't bad as it's very adjustable in size. Plus, I wear it over my chest protector... which also helps disburse the weight.

I also put my radio (VX-170) in a pocket... as there's tons of pockets and storage. Front and back. ... if it helps, I raced 140+ miles in the Baja 500 last year with it on... and it worked great.

Go here for more info, and more pics;

http://www.ogio.com/product.php?product=269

Here's a picture of it, so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about;

Ogio-flight-vest-2.jpg

JAT, that does look nice and sano. I use a combo of grape Pedalite and water in my hydration system. For tools, I used to use a tool wrap and pack in in the bottom of my pack. Then I picked up a Rooster Performance Jacket last October and that all changed.

The Rooster Performance Jacket has tool rolls in both front pockets that un roll from the two front pockets. A large pocket in center back with a drink hose loop on the right front side for hydration pouches. Plenty of pockets for FM radio, SAT phone, food and so forth front and rear, small pocket center front for wallet/ID/money. Elbow pads, shoulder pads, removeable liner for cold climates and zippered arms for summer riding.

A great jacket. Now I bring my backpack for a spare tube, tire irons,air, fruit, first aid pack, flip flops, shorts and a tee shirt and ball cap. And some BH stickers for the kids and military checkpoints. When I go to a 2 stroke later this year, I'll use it for some fork oil bottles filled with 2 stroke oil too.

Thanks JAT & BH's for all the great Baja info. Really like that Ogio jacket!

Doc

You should also look at the load bearing backpacks. I have ab uddy that rides and races Baja a lot and he uses a load bearing back pack that is light on the shoulders and carries a load of stuff. They sell them in adventure/police catalogs. I'll email him and ask what brand he has.

Thanks JAT & BH's for all the great Baja info. Really like that Ogio jacket!

Doc

No problem!

I also should have mentioned that with the OGIO... I'm able to wear a larger sized Enduro Style Jacket for foul weather and cover it all up. Makes it nice to know everything is out of the elements.

I see many riders with backpacks on the outside of a shell, or underneath (looking like the hunchback) and it doesn't look comfortable at all.

SO with, or without a jacket... the OGIO works great.

I use an MSR Colorado pack. I have ridden with it for 150 mile day rides or 800 mile trips and like it quite a bit. Quite comfortable and real sturdy. I like the idea of the Ogio pack that JAT mentions for tools and misc stuff for shorter rides, but if you need to pack some clothes for a multiple day trip, I really don't see getting around using a backpack. I'm not a big fan of strapping stuff to the bike if I don't have to. I've worn this pack with a jacket underneath and a shell under that and after the first couple of minutes I forget it's even on there.

Another goood choice I have to recommend. I used the same OGIO vest as JAT and rode with the stud as well. However It's nice to run a chest protector in Baja for added safety and after testing several systems i found the most comfortable and practical system is made by Wolf Pak. It distributes the weight by mounting to the back of the chest protector and fastens around the front like a kidney belt. I used it in the Baja 1000 and it is way more comfortable than the OGIO vest. Post me a private message and i'll get you the contact #

Dan Walsh

Another goood choice I have to recommend. I used the same OGIO vest as JAT and rode with the stud as well. However It's nice to run a chest protector in Baja for added safety and after testing several systems i found the most comfortable and practical system is made by Wolf Pak. It distributes the weight by mounting to the back of the chest protector and fastens around the front like a kidney belt. I used it in the Baja 1000 and it is way more comfortable than the OGIO vest. Post me a private message and i'll get you the contact #

Dan Walsh

Wal Mart, $29. Got one today. I think I can fit two tubes and a bunch of power bars and the rest of my tools will go in my butt pack. Check it out before spending big money.

Dan Walsh

DW... SurfNRide (RW) used to ride with a Wolf Pack... and had some issues with it. Not sure exactly... as he wasn't too hip on them anylonger when I asked at one of our D38 events.

I still love my OGIO "YOU" Introduced me to at last years 500! I wear mine over my chest protector and it's much more comfy. I have you to thank for that. 👍

... see ya manana!

Wal Mart, $29. Got one today. I think I can fit two tubes and a bunch of power bars and the rest of my tools will go in my butt pack. Check it out before spending big money.

I hate to say it... but, you get what ya pay for most of the time.

Seams, zippers, straps, stitching... all TESTED in the Baja terrain. You might want to ask around if your investment is worth even bringing.

How about a picture of this ... $29 unit. 👍

SurfNRide (RW) used to ride with a Wolf Pack... and had some issues with it. Not sure exactly... as he wasn't too hip on them anylonger
I'm gonna reply for Surf since he's outta town for most of the month "working".

His WolfPak fell apart. It was during a race and he didn't want to loose his stuff so he removed it completely and carried it by hand to the next Pit. He wasn't happy.

FYI I have used my wolf pak for pre running and racing the Baja 1000 (approx. 900 miles total) also several Baja weekend trips, a local desert race. A 6 Hr endurance at Glen Helen,,,and much much more pre-running and testing. Never once a problem.. Maybe SurfNRIde lost some of the nuts that hold it on? .. I do like the OGIO vest but it does pull on the shoulders. I've had multiple collar bone fractures in the past so anything pulling or bearing down on my shoulders doesn't work. I also hit a mex.. booby trap in La Paz just before the finish of the 2006 1000 and ended up dislocating my shoulder. I landed pretty hard on my side and the rib protection helped me a lot. I think if I was wearing an OGIO vest I would have broken a couple ribs as well. Just my 2 cents... JAT you will bow to your master...and i will force you to wear a Wolf Pak or i will steal your Girlfriend and poke your eyes out so you never leave me in the dust again..

See ya tuesday..

:worthy: DW... :ride: And don't ever distract me again on the radio so I lay it over!! :ride:

Thanks Tim... I knew there was a 'reason' SurfNRide removed the pack. 👍