Sign in to follow this  

Using Mexican Pemex

I need to know from you guys that travel to Baja for rides must be using the Mexican Pemex fuel there. My question is do you guys that use the fuel there experience pinging (aka detonation?) with the use of Magna Sin/ or premium? Do you need to use/carry an octane booster?:bonk: Any help is appreciated from you seasoned Baja riders?:naughty: FYI: I'm riding a '03 WR450F which I understand has a high compression ratio

MY 03 WR450 has over 15k miles on it in baja running pemex 91 when available at most places. Running Nova low octane will work fine just don't get in a sand wash and hammer it. Always fill up with their premiun when available. If you mix the two there is no problem. This is why most BAJA riders run a stock motor. Built high compression motors are a no no in Mexico. Even Honda runs a low compression motor in their race bikes for this reason. Remember to drain your fuel from the carb and your tank when you get back. Remember to always fill up at available gas because the next place may be out.

From my own experience with first 2 strokes (71-85) and then 4 strokes (85 to present), pinging does occur when running straight 87 octane unleaded Pemex fuel (w/o any US Premium mixed in or race fuel) and you get on the throttle hard running 2 strokes.

With Pemex premium (Arco unleaded Supreme, imported into Mexico), its no different than the US unless some water comes with the fuel. Mexico only produces it's own Unleaded 87 octane and Desiel fuel. Just ran 5 days using mostly 87 octane magna in an 05 Husky TE 510 without any pinnging. Steny

Did a 300 mile ride 2 weeks ago with half the ride on Magna and half on Premium in the 650R. It ran great with no issues at all.

Where did you find the information that Mexico imports their premium from Arco. This is the first time I've heard that tidbit and I've been traveling to Baja since just around the time Baja's 1D was completed (1970's) Whoops I've just given a clue to my age.

Doc

I try and stay clear of the Magna... Only running it if the station, or 'hut' is out of Premium.... But I've never had any noticeable issues directly related to running any of my 4 strokes on either octane rated fuel.

Over the exhaust note... I haven't heard any pinging. :bonk:

And be sure to drain your fuel when you get home!! Don't let that stuff sit in the bike. Maybe run some good ol US of A fuel through it before it sits for a week.

:naughty:

Where did you find the information that Mexico imports their premium from Arco. This is the first time I've heard that tidbit and I've been traveling to Baja since just around the time Baja's 1D was completed (1970's) Whoops I've just given a clue to my age.

Doc

Found that out preparing for the Baja 2000 when researching fuel companies to deal with for pit fuel needs.

My first trip down Hwy 1 past Santo Tomas was right after it was paved but before the marking was done in November 1973.

This may sound strange but sometimes i think my 525 runs better on pemex then what we have in wa st lol. We do a two week 1800-2400 mile trip every year down there and my bikes run great :bonk: Now i will tell you that a couple of the guys i ride with used to tell me stories 25 years ago when they had to take thier wives nylons with them to use as a strainer lol wouldn't that suck.

Its true, that or chamios cloth to strain out the dirt from fuel tank as you were filling your truck or bikes. Thank goodness those days have changed.:bonk:

Okay so JAT just what do they call the premium gas? I thought it was Magna Sin?

Doc

Okay so JAT just what do they call the premium gas? I thought it was Magna Sin?

Doc

Since 1990 - Magna Sin (regular unleaded - green pump) is rated at 89 octane. Their (unleaded) Premium (red pump) is 95 octane (and it IS called "PREMIUM").

You can tell the difference in fuels by color. Pink is regular, yellow is premium.

At any station, or hut, house...etc You ask for "premium"... and you'll know if they have it or not. As well, if it's coming to you in gallon containers... look for the yellow color.

Like at the Saw Mill.:D Will be there next Monday morning getting fuel for 8 bikes and quads. Six more days and a wakeup to go.:naughty::bonk:

I have used a booster with the straight magna gas like you find in VT and really have not noticed a difference. For a WR, it's probably not apples to apples though because of the higher compression. I'm quite certain that XR's will run on Cusano Rojo if needed, just get rid of the worm. Flux capacitor kind of thing! :bonk:

Does anyone know if that Pemex station outside of Ojos on Hwy 3, has Magna fuel most days? Planning on topping off there next Monday.

Was there Monday April 8th and again Friday, April 13th. Plenty of Magna fuel. No Magna Sin pump here.

Does anyone know if that Pemex station outside of Ojos on Hwy 3, has Magna fuel most days? Planning on topping off there next Monday.

They always had fuel everytime I stopped there, morning and night! :bonk:

They always had fuel everytime I stopped there, morning and night! :bonk:

Last year... they ran out more times than I care to note.

Of ALL gas! Not just the "regular"... But when they have fuel, it's Magna Sin which again... is UNLEADED. :naughty:

Same with Ramona's (Saw Mill)... she's been out, or closed. Monday's are when she (and hubby) run out to town to spend the loot made over the weekend. They close on occasion on Mondays!

Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure our chase truck brings fuel Monday morning.

Ramona's open Monday, April 8th at 10:30 am with Fuel.

I Usaully Carry A Small Container Of Octane Boost Bought At Pepboys To Take With Me And Only Use A Small Amount To My 3.3 Gal Tank.