Sign in to follow this  

In a predicament.

I begin typing this story is utter amazement, but it started last year when I was sick and tired of my TTR125, so i began looking for a WR250, logically the next step. Couldn't find one used so I got a DRZ400E(electric start). my dad said don't get it, your not ready for it, it's too heavy, too much power for the woods, but i didn't listen to him. I've been regretting my decision for a while now. I kinda lost interest in it b/c i couldn't jump it, so just recently I got a 2001 WR250(with YZ ergonomics). I like it a lot, it's jumps pretty well and handles good. I was all set on selling the DRZ and righting my mistakes of buying the DRZ, until yesterday.

I went to the MX track yesterday, brought both bikes. and rode the DRZ for almost the whole time! :D I can't clear most the obstacles, but i finally tried a double on my WR and i just clipped it, so i tried it on the DRZ, and it landed so perectly that the adrenaline pushed me to go for the next obstacle in the rhythm section which I totalyl was not expecting to do, a 50-60 foot table top, and landed it perfectly!!! :naughty: I was amazed!!! The DRZ did something I would have never expected and the WR(which is more of a race bike) couldn't! :bonk:

Now i'm not sure which bike i want to keep. The DRZ really showed some life yesterday, it was like a new beginning! I thought the DRZ sucked especially after listening to everyone on here, but now it seems as though the WR is slow heavy feeling and underpowered.....?

I still have a feeling that the WR is a better bike, it's just not at it's full potential. I want to keep the WR b/c it's lighter, but if it can't put up similar power to the DRZ, it's gone.

So my question is: How can I make my 250F have more power on a budget?

BTW, I am not allowed to remove the silencers from any bike I own b/c of noise issues.

If you're riding a stock piped/stuffed up WR, there is no way it can match your DRZ - period! You need to do all the free mods including the removal of the stock silent insert in order to get its max potential. If you're not willing to do the mods then you may as well keep the DRZ because the WR in stock form is not at the same power level.

My 02 WR250F can jump almost anything that I had the balls to do and I'm almost at 180 lbs - probably heavier than you...

I've ridden my buddies drz400 and my 04 yz250f with a dr. d pipe with quiet core insert and spark arrestor, and my bike is much faster, lighter and handles better imo. We ride in some tight woods and wouldn't trade my bike for anything. If I were wealthy I would have a wr just for the woods and my bike for mx.

what about cams or something to increase low end? B/c I can actually use the power to steer on the DRZ, so that actually handles better in some situations, except tight trees in my woods.

I can take the baffle out when i go to the track, but then i'll have to re-jet which takes too long, right?

oh yeah I forgot to mention at the track yesterday, Me and a kid on a YZ250F(alum frame) enter a turn at same time and speed, I have outside line. We both crank it at the sam time, and my DRZ absolutely blew past the YZF with ease into the next turn, there was just so much more power.... so i don't think it's just a matter of baffle removal.

is your throtle stop changed to yz throtle stop on your wr? if it isn't then you need to take it out that is a huge gain on power when it is swapped with a yz throtle stop. also the grey wire, airbox snorkle removal(to open the air box up) and a FMF Q pipe(it will keep bike quite for track and trail use).:bonk:

Do the free mods, put in some hotcam stage 1 cams, and get a fmf Q4 muffler to get the air flowing out of the bike from the cams, but keep it sound and forest legal. Your wr will then rip.l

What is the db rating on the Q pipe?

I have already done the grey wire, and air box mod. I also cut the throttle screw, but the ceiling RPMs aren't the problem, the problem is getting to that point...

The FMF Q is rated to be under the California restriction of 96dB. That and the White Brothers E2 are really quiet.

I've also heard that using the billet quiet insert on a YZ pipe is really quiet without hindering exhaust flow.

Any of these options should open up some restricted power without a huge sound hit.

What is the db rating on the Q pipe?

I have already done the grey wire, and air box mod. I also cut the throttle screw, but the ceiling RPMs aren't the problem, the problem is getting to that point...

The Q2 I have on my 03 WR tests at 96 db. I recently got an 07 WR, and the Q4 I put on it is notably more quiet than the Q2. I haven't had the Q4 tested yet, but knowing the Q2 is at 96 has me guessing that it's somewhere around 94 db. And it works as good as the Q2 does powerwise. Add a PowerBomb header and it makes it even a little more quiet.

If you're riding a stock piped/stuffed up WR, there is no way it can match your DRZ - period! You need to do all the free mods including the removal of the stock silent insert in order to get its max potential. If you're not willing to do the mods then you may as well keep the DRZ because the WR in stock form is not at the same power level.

My 02 WR250F can jump almost anything that I had the balls to do and I'm almost at 180 lbs - probably heavier than you...

I must agree with this. After I unstuffed my 03 WR250F when it was new I had the opportunity to ride a buddies DRZ 400. He didn't want to give me my bike back, and I couldn't wait to give his back. Properly set up the WR250F will out perform a DRZ in any situation (unless the DRZ has been heavily modified). That's why we like them so much!!!! :bonk:

drz sucks stock, but once you take the lid off and rejet, i was smoking YZFs in the straightaways and comign out of turns.

I'm afraid 96db is too loud for my woods. Isn't there a way to get more low-mid end snap without removing the exhaust baffle, and if so i could just remove it when i go to antohe place to ride. I can remove the bafffle in 1 minute. how hard is it to rejet?

the wr's are quick you need to jet your bike and get a none resrictive exahaust like q2 but keep in mind the 400 is a 400 and the wr is a 250. the wr is more nible. but my yz250f will smoke a dr 400 so you need to look at all the forums on wr needs more power they are a ton of them

the stock pipe on the wr's are a 96 decible pipe. but all that exhaust is pushed throw a hole the size of a dime. to restrivitive a Q2 is quite enough for any woods

oh yeah I forgot to mention at the track yesterday, Me and a kid on a YZ250F(alum frame) enter a turn at same time and speed, I have outside line. We both crank it at the sam time, and my DRZ absolutely blew past the YZF with ease into the next turn, there was just so much more power.... so i don't think it's just a matter of baffle removal.

You were able to carry more of you're momentum on the outside. I've done the same thing on my TT-R 250...doesn't mean my pig is faster, it just means the guy on the inside can't get on the power as hard because you on the outside have got him pinched down.

I really think uncorking that WR is what you need to do to be happy with it. You said you opened the airbox, clipped the grey wire, and did the throttle stop right? Did you re-jet? Also, you can take the the stock baffle out and put in the GTYR or PMB insert in the pipe and get some added power and still be reasonably quiet. The Q2 would be more effective though.

Does you're DR-Z have the FCR carb? I guarentee you a DR-Z with the 36 mm CV carb would gets its doors blown off by a choked up WR

He has a DRZ400E, and since he's in PA not CA, it'll have the FCR.

The DRZ makes about 10-12% more hp than a YZ250F, not sure how much more than a WR. The YZ250F weighs about 20% less than a DRZ, so it's better in the power to weight ratio. The DRZ has very smooth power delivery, which could account for what you experienced at the track with other riders as it'll hook up and take off while others are just throwing lots of roost. But honestly the WR should be a much better bike for the track than the DRZ, especially with all the free mods done.

Of course it's all about rider preference it the end. Ride them both more in the same situations, then make up your mind.

True, CA misses out on the good stuff

The DRZ makes about 10-12% more hp than a YZ250F' date='[/quote']

Woah a DRZ makes roughly 40hp stock??? :bonk: I thought they were around 36-38 hp stock!!

Reported HP can vary widely depending on whom you use for a reference. My personal favorite rates the DRZ at 38 stock and the YZ250F at 34 stock. 34 + 10% = 37.4, 34 + 12% = 38.08.

btw JSanfilippo just curious but why don't you list any of the mods done to your TTR?

The DRZ makes about 10-12% more hp than a YZ250F, not sure how much more than a WR. The YZ250F weighs about 20% less than a DRZ, so it's better in the power to weight ratio. The DRZ has very smooth power delivery, which could account for what you experienced at the track with other riders as it'll hook up and take off while others are just throwing lots of roost. But honestly the WR should be a much better bike for the track than the DRZ, especially with all the free mods done.

Of course it's all about rider preference it the end. Ride them both more in the same situations, then make up your mind.

Yes, it has a 39mm FCR carb, jetted to Eddie Sisneros' specs and all. I also blew past him in the choppy stuff, when i was behind him going into the turn. I just pulled off to the right and went WOT, and the DRZ hauled past the YZF and i took the lead into the next turn.

Thanks for the links jsanflippo. :bonk: But 96db is too loud. My dad won't let me modify the stock pipe at home anyway. we have neighbors real close and a golf course even closer. if it was a simple mod(jetting) then i would swap out the baffle and re jet it. Would that make a consdierable amount of more power?