Trailtech Dashboard wiring.

well, i'm a tad confused, got 7 wires on the stock harness and 6 at trailtech's harness. i don't have a manual b/c i'm a dumbass... any words of wisdom as i can't figure out what search terms to use. i've found half a dozen on wiring the Vapor itself, but none with the dashboard.

i have this info below, but i'm not sure which wires i should double up, or omit from use. if i could rip the stock unit apart, i'm sure i could figure it out, but i want to keep it intact.

thanks

-Zac

wire_harness.jpg

For pluging the hole in the stock odometer drive, you should have had these plugs in the kit:

odo_drive_plug.jpg

Here is the wire diagram:

7000-PD-Assy.gif

got the speedometer mounted and working, just now that once you remove the factory wiring for the indicators, nothing works so i can't even probe and figure them out with a meter since the relay is dependent on that wiring. fantastic... now i have to tape twist wires together and tape them to probe and figure them out...

and before anyone just skims through and sends me the instructions that i already have, i don't need the vapor instructions, i need the wiring diagrams for the bike or what color to connect to what for the dashboard/indicator lights.

Multi plug to OEM speedo

Red - always hot

Orange - Hot when key is on

Gray - Intended for Speedo lighting

Black with White Tracer - Ground

Multi plug to Indicator lights

Black With White Tracer - Ground

Orange - Hot when key is on - Used to provide power to Temp Light and Neutral light

Black with Green Tracer - Wire to Temp Sensor

Yellow - Feed to High Beam indicator

Blue with Black Tracer - Wire to Neutral light

Light Green - Connects to signals, right side

Black - Connects to Signals, left side.

Note, there are two diodes in the oem indicator, they take the black through one, the light green through the other then feed the turn signal indicator.

You really need to get yourself a oem service manual.

• Like 3

Note, there are two diodes in the oem indicator, they take the black through one, the light green through the other then feed the turn signal indicator.

do i need to acquire diodes to replace the ones that i don't have now? i understand now exactly what i have to do now that i have the list of what's what. i don't have the dashboard in front of me to test of there are diodes in the trailtech unit.

alright, just figured someone on here might have their cheat sheet handy on how they wired theirs. the Trailtech motherland is 3 hours behind me so i'll have to wait for Geoff to get out of bed and get his cup of coffee before i call him. pretty sure i just have to diode isolate the two turn signal leads. almost makes me want to install a 5th small surface LED for the temp since there isn't a temperature "jewel" just an oil pressure that way i could have a left and right turn signal.

thanks again William1 that info is just what i needed.

i got it all worked out, got some diodes at the Shack' and got the soldering iron hot... i'll do a writeup once i'm finished. now i'm just trying to figure out a safe place to run the speedometer wire up the brake line... have to plan ahead for all 10 inches of travel to avoid issues later.

that sheet up there showing the dashboard is pretty much it, there are 6 wires: 4 of which go to each of the 4 lights and 2 are the grounds spliced. i ran the power from the switched power of the orange wire to one of the splices and the Neutral and Temp ground sides to two of them. grounded the other spliced joint and put the turn signals (with diodes) to the one and the high beam to the other.

William1, with the Trail Tech instructions, bike manual/wiring diagram and unit in hand it's easy to install. 2 small diodes for blinker circuits all you need that's not included. A search will show my install & later instructions for diodes to go from stock 7 wire harness to 6 wire Trail Tech, I also used CucharaReds earlier write up & pix that were really helpful. The only downside to the dashboard is that in direct sunlight it's very hard to see the dashboard indicator lites but the speedo screen itself is very visible in all conditions and so far has worked great...

i need to read the book and figure out all the tricks. i called Geoff, and asked for the 6mm sensor, and i guess they forgot b/c i have to mail mine back before they'll send out what i asked for in the first place. i might pull the bulb out and get a higher wattage for the indicator lights since they're so dim, can hardly see them.

Just found this thread.

The ground to each is just as important. I had to rewire a couple of times when the lights didn't work the way they were supposed to. It looks like the info was already posted for the wiring.

I didn't solder the diodes yet so the turn signal lights up only when I turn left :bonk:.

I mostly lurk this site, but I have to say that TT rocks! There's been a bunch of posts lately about the TrailTech Vapor that inspired me to buy one after I crushed my computer on the trail a few months ago. My dashboard lights were crushed, too-- so I bought the Trailtech dashboard that surrounds the Vapor. The dashboard wiring is a little confusing, but after searching this forum for a wiring diagram, I found exactly what I needed. I cut the factory dashboard wiring above the waterproof connector so I could splice everything in and still unplug it at will. The factory connector has 8 wires (I think), but I only needed 6 of them to wire the Trailtech dashboard. It really doesn't matter which color wires are used on the supplied dashboard lights (each light has 2 leads). These are the colors I used, followed by the factory wiring harness colors (the important ones), and the dashboard light each controls:

orange---------> orange/green = neutral indicator (+)

green----------> blue/black = neutral indicator (-)

blue-----------> black/yellow = high beam (+)

black----------> black/white = high beam (-)

light green-----> light green = right blinker (+)

black----------> black/white = right blinker (-)

light blue------> black = left blinker (+)

green---------> black/white = left blinker (-)

Note that 3 of the dashboard lights share the same ground wire. Since the Vapor computer has a programmable warning indicator for the engine temperature, I saw no need to wire the idiot light from the original factory dash. And, since the left/right blinkers are separated, there's no need to use a diode in the dashboard wiring.

Someone on this thread mentioned trying to figure out a safe place to run the speedometer sensor wire. I didn't like the tight fit of trying to run the speedo wire through the brakeline guides, so I decided to remove the stock speedo bracket (mounted to the right side of the front fender) and remount it to the lower triple clamp on the left side. It allows the cable to move up and down freely and doesn't interfere with my Unabiker radiator guards at full steering lock. Down at the bottom of the fork, I used a standard wire clamp to secure the speedo wire and keep it from pulling out of the magnetic speedo sensor mounted to the caliper.

Here's the stock computer bracket I cut and modified to mount the Vapor computer:

Dashboard%20Mount.jpg

Here's the finished product:

Vapor%20Dashboard.jpg

And here's how I mounted the speed sensor:

DRZ%20Front%20Wheel.jpg

I like everything about the Vapor, except for two things: (1) it has only one trip odometer. I like to keep track of my mileage on every tank with one trip meter, and use the other one for other stuff. And, (2) the dashboard indicator lights are not bright enough to see in full sunlight.

Things I like most about the Vapor: (1) Cool blue backlight, (2) Engine temperature display (I used the M6 direct bolt-in on the left radiator), (3) Tachometer, because it's just cool, and (4) I got to keep my stock mileage thanks to Trailtech entering a code to adjust the total mileage before I mounted it to the DRZ.

Mostly, I like this site for the wealth of shared knowledge which made this an easy install.?

Shannon

• Like 1