03 CRF450 Damper rod seal bad

I have a 2003 Honda CRF450R, I pulled the front suspension apart and found the dampener to be nearly empty. So I refilled, purged the air and reassembled the dampeners, I left the dampeners on the bench overnight and when I checked them today, both were leaking from the piston rod seal.

My question...Is there anything I can do? Is that seal replaceable? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

I have a 2003 Honda CRF450R, I pulled the front suspension apart and found the dampener to be nearly empty. So I refilled, purged the air and reassembled the dampeners, I left the dampeners on the bench overnight and when I checked them today, both were leaking from the piston rod seal.

My question...Is there anything I can do? Is that seal replaceable? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Factory conect has the seals you need.

• Like 1

Help!!! I found a thread with instructions to remove the seal cartidge, but the threads on one of the seal holders(not sure of the proper name) galled upon removal. The damper tube is ok but the seal holder is toast.

Does anyone have one laying around that they would be willing to part with? I called Factory Connection and they didn't know where I could get one.

Below is a picture of the good one.

If I can't find one I will probably look for a used complete damper or a cheap set of used forks that I could scavange.

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/Cfoxtrot/?action=view&current=Damper003.jpg

?action=view&current=Damper003.jpg

I only have a complete set of 03 forks I bought from Ebay for testing. No spare parts. Check Ebay, the 03 fork is not very popular for techno and offset reasons so maybe you can find a set for parts.

I only have a complete set of 03 forks I bought from Ebay for testing. No spare parts. Check Ebay, the 03 fork is not very popular for techno and offset reasons so maybe you can find a set for parts.

I might be able to get my hands on a set from a 02 cr125, if I use my springs, is there much of a difference in the valving that I would notice?

Thanks, Chris

I might be able to get my hands on a set from a 02 cr125, if I use my springs, is there much of a difference in the valving that I would notice?

Thanks, Chris

Chris-

Yes, you would definitely notice a difference- totally different fork, as Lew has already mentioned. You have the 47mm Twin-chamber Showa forks, while the 125 uses the 46mm KYB open-bath type fork; this is the same type of fork that Yamaha and Kawasaki has used forever, but over the last 2-3 years they have "seen the light" and worked to copy and/or improve upon the Showas design.

I have a set of '04 CRF250 forks that I have farmed parts from, and I would imagine that the part you need would be interchangeable with your forks. If you still need it, let me know and I'll dig'em out and see if I can get it off without damaging it.

Adam

• Like 1

Chris-

Yes, you would definitely notice a difference- totally different fork, as Lew has already mentioned. You have the 47mm Twin-chamber Showa forks, while the 125 uses the 46mm KYB open-bath type fork; this is the same type of fork that Yamaha and Kawasaki has used forever, but over the last 2-3 years they have "seen the light" and worked to copy and/or improve upon the Showas design.

I have a set of '04 CRF250 forks that I have farmed parts from, and I would imagine that the part you need would be interchangeable with your forks. If you still need it, let me know and I'll dig'em out and see if I can get it off without damaging it.

Adam

YES! That would be really awsome. I sent you a PM.

Thanks Adam!

Chris