Sign in to follow this  

Inguinal hernia recovery?

I had surgery a couple weeks ago to repair an inguinal hernia, and even though I feel great, I don't want to damage the repair by riding too soon. My doctor was pretty vague when I asked how long until I could ride again. His main concern is that I don't lift anything over 15-20lbs for 6 weeks, which is still 4 weeks away. Anyone have this surgery recently and if so, how long until you rode again and was everything ok?

I'm in the same boat. I had the surgery less than 2 week ago. I will ask my Dr. when I see him Thursday.

I had this type of hernia repaired a number of years ago. You have just had muscles in your core (abs are used in all activities) repaired. The doctor doesn't want you to lift anything heavy because he doesn't want you to put any strain on the muscles. I would say to keep off of the bike for the 6 weeks. I am surprised your doctor was vague about that.

An inguinal hernia is about 10" lower than the abs. Either that or my doctor has a weird way of getting there, judging by the scar. My doctor was specific about not lifting more than 20 lbs for 6 weeks, but his exact words were "it takes a full year to be 100%". He said I would be about 85% healed at 6 weeks, but my main concern is riding hard after that, and I was hoping someone here had already gone through the surgery.

I waited the full 6 weeks before riding and even then it was definitely sore when I was done. Mine was fixed in early summer and I felt it in some way the whole season. Even now, 5 years later, I can sometimes feel it when I ride. It will almost give a burning sensation, like someone ripping a bandaid off of your skin. Its not painful, just an odd sensation.

My advice would be don't push it - if you rip it back open or do any damage the surgery was useless. I would wait the 6 weeks and take it easy at first when you do start riding. In any case, listen to your body, it will tell you if its too soon.

👍

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. It's now been nearly 5 weeks and I feel great, but I've resigned myself to waiting for another week or so. Early last week I started walking for excercise and the scar hurt for a few days, and it felt just like you described, a ripped-off band aid. But as per my Dr's instructions I started getting back to normal activity, minus the lifting, and the more I walk, the better I feel. I'm just getting antsy about riding, kind of like a crack addict on the wagon...

Your abdominal muscles run from your rib cage all the way to your pubic bone...down where your doctor repaired your hernia, there isnt much muscle. Just some fasica so any hard strain can reopen the fascia and the hernia will come back. So, I would take the full 6wks before riding and then take it very easy for another 2wks. You wouldnt want to have to have surgery again to repair the hernia.