Sign in to follow this  

Copper sheet gasket material?

Anyone know where I can get .0625 thick copper sheeting to make a head gasket? I tried Auto Zone, O'riely's and even grainger.com with no luck.

I have made a few head gaskets out of copper water pipe. Take a piece of 1" pipe(some are thicker than others,so try to measure the thickness) and cut it length wise then heat it up with a propane torch and it will bend flat real easy. Then heat it again and put it between two pieces of flat metal and press it flat. I have had real good luck doing this. Ed

Don't forget to anneal the copper before you install it.Heat it till it glows and drop it in cold water acouple of times to soften it so it will seal.Copper works the opposite of steel in regards to this.Silver paint helps I'm told with sealing.

Try a roofing contractor that fabricates custom metal flashings. They usually have copper sheet but I am not sure of the thickness. There's also a guy who advertises in the AHRMA newsletter who makes custom copper gaskets. They are pricey but he'll make them any thickness you want. I'll dig around and look for his website URL if you're interested.

Mike

Please, do. I too am interested in the custom gasket guy's contact info.

Kirk

Yes ajayMike, if you could, please let us know that custom gasket makers web site. I did a net search and couldn't find him.

Try http://www.mcmaster.com/ part no 89675K12 .064 x 6 x 6 copper 31.89 ea.

You could take it to a local machine shop or sheet metal shop to have it cut if you can't do it yourself. If you can draw up the pattern in Autocad, they can use that layout directly to save some programming time. Another good way to cut it is to take it to a water-jet cutting shop. Again, they can use the cad data directly.

I used to make my own for an old Guzzi. For re-use, I would scotch-brite it, & anneal it on the stovetop. I used "Coppercoat" spray-on gasket sealer at assembly. Worked great!