Sign in to follow this  

How to disassemble seal head on KYB's?

A friends KX125 93's shock is over and I want to give it a complete rebuild.

Everything went good so far but how to remove the oil seal in the seal head? There is a lip on top, bent inside so the inner metal plate cannot come out.

1. What to do to unpeen it?

2. What to do to peen it again?

sealheadrn4.jpg

replace it- they are cheap.

i cannot replace them for cheap as i am in a country where this kind of parts are not available. i have to order from outside, this takes long time and costs...

therefore i need to open it.

Time = money...how much is your time worth? Whole seal head is around $35.00 US.

i cannot replace them for cheap as i am in a country where this kind of parts are not available.

is it easier to get the oil seal instead of the complete seal head? :bonk:

@KTM-Lew

this one unfortunately is more expensive. it sells at 45 Euro (khan is from Turkey) which is +50US

A friends KX125 93's shock is over and I want to give it a complete rebuild.

Everything went good so far but how to remove the oil seal in the seal head? There is a lip on top, bent inside so the inner metal plate cannot come out.

1. What to do to unpeen it?

2. What to do to peen it again?

sealheadrn4.jpg

I have rebuit these a few times, I just get out my Fordem porting tools or Dremel and remove just enough metal to get the bushing/seal out. Reinstall the new stuff, then peen with a punch atleast every 1/4 inch all the way around the where the old "lip" was. Never had a problem.

Worked for me but of course ,it might be safer to by the whole seal pack:ride:

i managed it!

just used a round iron which is quite big round and fits inside the seal head peened edge.

then hammered the round iron that it gives the edge a hit to bent out. done this all around the peened edge and that's it!

now I got all parts from it out, changed the bushing and will try to find a new oil seal.

thanks guys!

i managed it!

just used a round iron which is quite big round and fits inside the seal head peened edge.

then hammered the round iron that it gives the edge a hit to bent out. done this all around the peened edge and that's it!

now I got all parts from it out, changed the bushing and will try to find a new oil seal.

thanks guys!

Good idea, I have a small lathe now, so next time I may take your approach of no metal removel. I can just machine up some kind of big punch.

Mx-tech.com has seals.

• Like 1

I use a small screwdriver to first pry the rubber out. Then I use a small set of "ignition" plyers and just grab the lip and peel it back. Go all around it with the plyers about a 1/4" at a time. Takes me maybe 3 to 5 minutes to rebuild a seal head including the bushing. 👍

doc

I use a small screwdriver to first pry the rubber out. Then I use a small set of "ignition" plyers and just grab the lip and peel it back. Go all around it with the plyers about a 1/4" at a time. Takes me maybe 3 to 5 minutes to rebuild a seal head including the bushing. 👍

doc

Genius:thumbsup:

Doc`s probably done a few.........hundred:ride:

Genius:thumbsup:

Doc`s probably done a few.........hundred:ride:

Been a cpl here & there over the years.......👍

doc