Sign in to follow this  

Question about utility trailer size

Hi all, brand new member here.

I haven't bought my toys yet but when I sell my street bike then I will be set to buy an ATV and two small dirtbikes. The question I have is that I will need a trailer and I have to look at lower priced ones and also don't have alot of space. I saw a 5 x 8 folding utility trailer from www.redtrailers.com that I kinda like and was wondering from people with experience here if it will work for what I need. I plan on buying a Suzuki Ozark 250 ATV, a Suzuki DRZ-125L and will be getting a Yamaha PW50 with training wheels from my brother when he upgrades my nephew's bike. I don't have a truck but am buying the wife a Honda CRV with a hitch so I can pull the trailer. I just don't know if this trailer can do it for me.

Do you guys think I can safely fit these on the 5 x 8 trailer? I assume if I can it will have to be kept as a flatbed for sure? Oh and the reason I want a folder to go in the garage is because I would have to add a bigger gate to my fence to store a bigger trailer because my gates are too small and feel if I can keep the trailer in the garage it would be better as my wife would constantly complain about a trailer taking up so much space in our small backyard. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

I don't think a 5X8 is going to work with 2 bikes and an atv. I've got a 5X8 for 3 bikes: a Cr250, TTr125, and a Ktm 50. It's a tight fit on my trailer. I had to add extensions outward on the front for tie down points. The handle bars on the two front facing bikes are just far enough from not rubbing. The Ktm faces the back. It works, but there's not much room for anything else.

You could get a 5X8 sheet of plywood and test getting all of your equipment on it before you buy a trailer. Then you have to think about tie downs, too. Good luck.

well that is what I was afraid of but I was thinking if I didn't have any rails (straight flatbed) then I could put them on sideways and maybe have enough room. Thanks for your reply it helped me.

You'll be able to squeeze all three on but, it'll be very close.

I have a 5x10 flat bed and I can fit a Honda Fourman 450cc es, XR 400, and an

xr50 on it.

If you nose in the 125cc and quad then then put the 50 sideways you should be able to fit it with one training wheel hanging off the back. Or you could just put the 50 on the tougue (sp?) of the trailer.:bonk:

Have you done some towing capacity vs toy weight comparison?

I wouldn't recommend towing all that with a CRV. A CRV isn't designed for that. I have a 2005 CRV (for 3 more weeks) and towing a Zieman 5x8 with 2 450 dirt bikes plus tools, gear, and fuel is noticeable.

Trailer: 263lbs

Ozark 250: 403lbs dry

DRZ 125L: 176lbs dry

PW50: ~80lbs dry

Total: 922lbs

CRV towing capacity: 1500lbs

Start throwing fuel and gear and that CRV is going to be dying. A larger trailer will add even more weight.

Thank you TobyG and Stupendous you have both given me some great info to work with while making my decision. I really appreciate it.