Sign in to follow this  

help te410 and p.o.s. dellorto

so this winter i purchased a neglected te410 from a jackass, after several weekends of hard work and maintence not to mention $$$$ shes back into shape and ready to rock, almost. took it out yesterday and threw some fresh shell 93 into it and fired up on the 3rd kick, got it purring and was about to take it for a warm up spin when it just died, waited a bit confused, started kicking again, fired up again and ran for a bit, died again. to cut down to the short end if it i had a float problem, wasent letting any gas into the bowl so i adjust it, then its spewing gas out the vent lines, i guess i adjusted it too much, went back the other direction and got it to an acceptable level, got it fired up again, and it had a wrather high idle but aside from that ran fine, took it for a spin to get it warmed up, made an attempt to adjust the idle but it had almost no effect if any on idle speed, had it so far out that when i took it for short spin around the yard, park it, and say hey where did the idle screw go, thats long gone, lean it over on the kick stand and the fuel screw falls out on the ground. and not to mention that the float is stuck again and its not letting any fuel into the bowl. i think ive had it, im still trolling thru old posts to find some info, but of course im leaning towards the mikuni. haha and now that i think about it when i purchased the bike the guy was like oh yea its got a mikuni on it, thanks alot jerkoff. so anyway what do you guys think, what carb should i get from mikuni? anybody else done a carb swap on a 410? any input would be great

Your Delorto is a great carb absolutly no reason for the added expence of a Mikuni. You must make sure it is clean and all the correct parts are there first. Remove your float needle clean off the tip, if you see kind of a greenish yellow residue film or coloration in the float chamber or around and in jets your carb has grown ALGE. This stuff is hard to clean out carb cleaners don't work very well but have found Deisel fuel injection cleaner to work. Let is soak then blow it out some times have to do a little rubbing. Use a Q tip with cleaner on it to clean out float needle seat. Once all back together w/ free play in th cable and choke cable get it started ride it around to get it hot. Now set your Idle very low adjust your Idle mixture in clock wise until it starts to die then go the other direction until it starts to die then set it in the middle. If it starts to rev up while doing this adjust the Idle speed back down to a very low idle and continue adjusting your Idle mixture until you can go clockwise and have it stumble then the same in the other direction counter clockwise then set it in the middle then set your idle speed to your liking. You know you their when you can just hit the kill button then just kick it w/no throttle and it will fire up and purr. When you are at this point and your Idle mixture is 1/2 turn out need smaller pilot jet if out2 1/2 or more your to lean on pilot jet should be 1-2 turns out it will vary between days and the type of gas you have. Make sure the O ring, tiny washer, and spring are on the Idle mixture screw. Hope this helps . Later George

Not to pile-on or anything, but I have had the same issue with the delOrto on my 610.

I:

Get it hot by ridin' around and spinning out on trails

Set idle nicely and set pilot screw.

Engine is purring, turn it off, starts right up first kick.

Then the speed slows down and it wants to die. I play with the idle speed and get it idling higher, but then it wants to slow down and die again. I have narrowed this down to my idle speed adjuster screw. If you wiggle the screw up and down, there is much play and it is allowing the slide to move up and down easily.

Sounds like we both have similar problems. Good luck with yours.

What George at UPTITE said in spades!:bonk:

It's a great carb, and not difficult to tune. Got to be clean as he said. first sign of dirt/algae is start bike after sitting a week or so and no gas gets to carb. the float needle is stuck shut. If not too dirty, a rap on the carb with a hammer handle will free it up.

Same with the tuning, when right it will start with no throttle.

Norm