Sign in to follow this  

Good starter bike for girlfriend?

Hey guys/girls, wanted to ask your opinions on this.

Have taken my girlfriend to a few motocross races end of last season and beginning of this one and she's really interested in trying it out.

I have a 450F but often think maybe I should have gotten the 250F after coming off a yamaha 250F swear i went faster on.

I'd like to get her a good starter bike, she has no real dirtbike riding experience but she does seem very convincing in that she wants to get out there and at least have fun.

She's 5'4", 105lbs and pretty sassy. I thought about the new 250F for her but we saw a few girls last weekend on them and they looked like too much bike(i want one though). At the same time, there were a few girls out there on either the 150F or 230F and they looked pretty fun.

So, my question is do you think a 150F or 230F would be better or do you even think either of them are motocross worthy.

Thanks in advance!

MX worthy? No, simple as that any jump over 2 or 3 ft. and your done..

hare scramble, cross country worthy? Yes

at 105 lbs the 230 would probably be too heavy for her

so im thinking the 150 would be good for her unles u want to get a lowering link for the 230.

IMHO if you want to get her an MXer look into a used KX100 or 125..

P.S. theres no doubt in my mind that u went faster on your 250, people often find themselves going slower on the 450s, lol

MX worthy? No, simple as that any jump over 2 or 3 ft. and your done..hare scramble, cross country worthy? Yes

at 105 lbs the 230 would probably be too heavy for her

so im thinking the 150 would be good for her unles u want to get a lowering link for the 230.

IMHO if you want to get her an MXer look into a used KX100 or 125..

P.S. theres no doubt in my mind that u went faster on your 250, people often find themselves going slower on the 450s, lol

LIAR! Haha!

DSCN0121.jpg

Yeh i was just kinda hoping we could bring one gas can to the track :bonk:

So the 150/230F isn't something you want to jump on..... i was afraid of that but not sure she'd be doing much jumping at first anyway. but then again what happens after a couple practices when she wants to start?

Any other opinions out there? And thanks "heybuddy1901" :naughty:

So the 150/230F isn't something you want to jump on..... i was afraid of that but not sure she'd be doing much jumping at first anyway. but then again what happens after a couple practices when she wants to start?

Any other opinions out there? And thanks "heybuddy1901" :bonk:

yeah pretty much, i mean, its possible, anything is, but getting her a small 2-smoke would offer her alot more versatility u know?

granted itll beat the hell out of her the first couple rides but when she wants to go ahead and hit the double, then she has the right equipment for it =]

not to mention that the 150/230 are pigs that she wouldnt find to pleasant to pick up

if theres even a hint that she may want to try MX, then stay away from the 150/230

My sister in law has the 230, That thing is slow, heavy, and doesnt rev for crap. If shes that interested id look at a kx100. Just my 2 cents.

ok, so maybe a cr 85 or something like that? (she likes red, gotta b a honda)

maybe the big wheel, that would seem like a good fit, try to get the KX100 though

about the same size and a little more oomph

Coming from a ladies point of view, i have a CRF150F and I love it! Im 5'8" and i fit comfortablity on it... I love riding and I know that she will too. They are a blast to ride and even if i do crash its not heavy enough that i cant pick it back up myself. Hope i was some help!! COngrats to the lucky girl getting a new bike:applause: DSC00241.jpg

Congrats on the bike, but that gear was the worst purchase ever...

awwww....are you jealous......or do you just cut up other peoples stuff cause you really hate you're own????lol

hopefully this will be helpful...im pretty much the same as your gf it sounds, im 5'3'' 100lbs... I ride a kx 100.. My father has a crf150...for me..its a fun and rideable bike but heavy ..when i have gone down on it, i have a trouble picking it back up...on the other hand my aunt has a crf230..that thing is a tank, its rideable but i really struggled to pick it up when i went down. But i honestly have no muscles..your gf may be a lot stronger then i am. The only trouble about gettin a 100 or 85 for a beginner bike is staying on the powerband...i went through that and still have trouble...it all depends on her. I really think the crf150 would be an excellent bike for a starter. I think it would be great because she would not have to worry about stayin on the power and just roll on the power and still keep up with you and theres no way for a 105lb rider to bottom out, she will be able to jump all she wants, so dont worry about that. Its just my opinion but im sure whatever she picks out she will be happy with it, its good to hear about another female rider.

85 would be a good choice, but they have way more power. id go with a 85 because i have a 150 and i want more power lol.

like ive said before..

if she has ANY thoughts of actually racing one day

ull get her the bike thats made for it.. and a used one will probably be cheaper depending on the year.

granted, the 150/230 CAN be raced in MX. are they good at it? not at all

the 85 is smaller, lighter, has more power than the 150 and already has a MUCH more superior suspension, good luck with your search, if i were you id take her down to the local dealer and have her sit on a few and see how she feels about them.

:bonk:

the 85 isnt smaller they are about the same. the 150f weighs 216 and the 85 weighs like 150 or something they do have godly suspension compared to the 150f, thats why people do those expenxive conversions lol imo the 150 is a waste of money to do all the crap to

the 85 isnt smaller they are about the same. the 150f weighs 216 and the 85 weighs like 150 or something they do have godly suspension compared to the 150f, thats why people do those expenxive conversions lol imo the 150 is a waste of money to do all the crap to

i was talking about seat height, depending on the big wheel or small wheel version it may differ, and i totally agree that unless there is some serious ambition that u plan to only race in the 150cc mini class or something then it is kinda a waste.. unless is absolutly needed

yeah i know you were talking about the seat heights lol they are both around 34 inches. i was comparing the weight differences. sit on the bikes you will notcie a huge difference. the 85 has really plush suspension its nice