Sign in to follow this  

Suspension link and gearing

I was greasing the needle rollers in the three point link when the rollers fell out of the lower shock bearing mount, is this normal or do I have a bad bearing in there, luckily I got them all back in there and was able to ride yesterday. Tried the 55 leak with 42 pilot and 180 main and all seemed well, debating on different ratios, team green recommend 48 rear but not too sure on that one, I like my third in the corners and I think that would mess me up, any opinions on the above

the bike comes with a 180 main...try a 175....the bike out of the factory are usually rich in the mid range...as for the gearing ratio....if you go up in the rear..it will increase your low end torque...this will make your gears shorter..feels like you run out of rev really quickly...also more clutch work in corners if you use a lower gear....going down would increase top speed, and make your gears longer...less clutch work in corners with lower gears..you can even start using 2nd gear in most corners...i think the 450 comes with a 52 for the 06/07 models... going to a 48 is quite a big jump...that is like going either way on the front

Same here, mine came with a 175, and I went up to a 180 main, 55 leak, and 51 tooth sprocket. Going back to a 50 tooth sprocket, the gearing is to low. Is anyone running a setup with a stock sprocket and a Pro Circuit Ti-4? I'm curious what it does to the lower end, if anything. Kinda seems sluggish down low. I guess when you switch from a 525 sx, anything will feel sluggish off the bottom.

As far as the lower shock bearing i don't think you have anything to worry about. I took the linkage apart when my bike was new and found that the lower bearing needles are loose in there. I have tore it down 3 times since and cleaned and greased them and found no wear on it. The hardest part was scrubbing that stuff the factory calls grease out of the bearing so I could put actual grease in it.

Is the "Factory Grease" really a grease, or some sort of plastic retainer for the needle bearings? I was never quite sure what to do with it...just put grease on it, or remove it, then grease it.

I found it to be about the consistencey of dry rubber cement. Maybe it is that way from the factory so the needles dont fall out during assembly. There was a thin coating of oil or grease on it also. I took the needles out and cleaned all the gooey stuff out of the press in case and put the needles back in with Synthetic greese. I did it when it was new but there definetly wasn't enough oil or grease in there to seal out dirt and water. Also because it was new I could see that it wasn't a cage for the needles. Everything has been clean and in good shape every time I have checked since then.

Thanks for the recommendations, my 07 was stock with 50 rear. I thinking 48 or 49 on rear and using second on some corners, alot of our tracks aroud here are tight and third now seems to get me over all the obstacles.