Sign in to follow this  

Top Dead Center?

OK, I have a one year old RHC install that has not been ridden much. It was starting harder than usual and backfired a bit, so I checked my clearances. The exhausts were in spec at .011 but the left intake was at .006 and right .008 - so looser than .005 spec. Ron said that is normal that they wear a bit and suggested I re-shim to spec. I used the spreadsheet from Heckler's post to calculate the new shim sizes, I bought them and put them in, and guess what - then they measured tight at .003 each. So I changed the shims back to stock and in the process I have lost the cam chain placement on the cam. I know of the dot on the crankshaft as to that meaning TDC, but everytime I did that, I would still have to turn it just a little to get the two marks on the cam to align up properly to know where you are to TDC, before you check your clearances.

How do you guys find TDC when you are not sure about cam chain placement???? What would be the recommended approach at this point?

thanks

You can take out the spark plug and look to see when the piston is at the top.. then the two marks on the cam should be inline with the top of the head,, and the dot on the lower right inspection hole should line up... make sure the cam lobes are facing to the rear

You should now be at top dead center.. sorry having trouble understanding your post if this didn't answer your question try to describe on the part your stuck on!

I never mark the cam chain. It's easy enough to just line up the timing mark through the inspection cover and the cam lines. Just re-check it once you release the cam chain tensioner