Sign in to follow this  

I'm new, a couple questions

First off, this looks like a great place with a lot of knowledge on this bike so I'm thankful I could join. This seems to be if not the only, then the biggest repository of dr-z400 information.

I'm going on Tuesday to pick up my first motorcycle, a 2001 dr-z400. I'll use it for around-town travel and occasional highway travel. Here's the description I have of it:

"Has full aftermarket lighting kit-headlamp, turn signals, rear/license lamp, speedo. You need to change the tires to make it street legal-has knobbies on it. I have clear title. It's in good condition, runs great. Don't know the miles as it only had a trip odometer before we added the speedo."

I plan to pay $1700, already negotiated over the phone. Got a picture and it looks pretty good.bike.JPG

I've found some info on the suspension being improved in 2002 and a couple things after that. Is there a page or thread that has information on exactly what was changed from year to year so I can know as much as possible about my bike? Also, under the "read this before posting" sticky, there is a huge list of mods you can do. Anybody have suggestions for what I should start with? Parts that might cause problems and wouldn't be incredibly expensive to repair/replace? Or, point me towards a thread that'll give me that info?

Thanks!

Decembermouse

Welcome to "The Madhouse" Alexander, enjoy.

If it is an Enduro version, or "E" model the suspension is the upgraded set-up.

As for mods, crash protection for the bike and you is top of the list.

As far as the bike is concerned, wait untill you know for sure whether it is an "S" or "E", it makes a big diffeenc.

Neil. :bonk::naughty::D

Ok. The guy didn't tell me that when I asked for more information, all I know is up above. I didn't even know to ask that. The fact that you do means I'm in the right place! Thanks!

(btw can you see the picture of it? I linked to it from an attachment in my email and don't know if it's appearing to everyone or just me)

Nope, no picture. We could probably tell you if it's an E or an S if we could see the picture.

Ok. The guy didn't tell me that when I asked for more information, all I know is up above. I didn't even know to ask that. The fact that you do means I'm in the right place! Thanks!

(btw can you see the picture of it? I linked to it from an attachment in my email and don't know if it's appearing to everyone or just me)

I can't see it either.

That is a good price. Use Neil's advice.

Nice, It's an "E", so you already have the FCR carb, higher compression and better cams :D:bonk:

Just sort the bike and rider protection out.

Neil. :bonk:😛 :p

PS: Looks as if you may have "lowering links" on the rear suspension, either Kouba or Talon :naughty:

Sweet! So the carb and cams are better on the E models?

"lowering links"... where can I go to learn more about those?

"lowering links"... where can I go to learn more about those?

Do a search on this forum for more info, the ups and down sides.

The links are under the rear shock, just behind the engine, and visable in the pic.

On your bike they look Gold in color, not stock, and if they are non stock they may have a makers name visable.

Neil. :bonk::naughty::D

right, (Neil knows his stuff-better than most-including me),

that is an E model with lowering links. Make sure you can plate it in your state (each has its own laws re: plating).

The links will screw with your rear suspension's ability to carry weight- try to get the original springs and links, they are for a 150lb-ish rider, the lowering links alone drop that, but a spring can get it back, juggle parts and post here with your findings, we'll help you sort it out.

The E model has a better carb and cams and pipe, but is otherwise very similar to the S model (but not available in cool blue!)

good luck with your purchase.

any more ?'s, just ask, there's an unbelievable wealth of info on this site, with some of the best mechanics in the country as regulars.

So the non-stock lowering links that are shown in the picture are only built to hold a 150-lb rider for the most part? That's weird. What advantage would you get by installing them as opposed to the stock ones then, I wonder?

I'll ask him for all original parts and manuals, etc that he has and list them when I bring the bike home.

No, the lower links are designed to lower the standover height of the bike. Makes it easier for riders with shorter legs to touch the ground. But they change the rear suspension in a couple of ways. One is you loose a little travel, another is the suspension is now set up for a lighter rider (unless a new shock spring was also installed). Lots of people have installed lowering links, so if he doesn't have the originals don't let that deter you. You can pick up someone else's takeoffs fairly cheap.

Well I went and picked it up yesterday! We disassembled it and put the forks, tires, plastic plates and accessories in the trunk, and the chassis in the back seat. It was impressive, and I have yet to unload it. I'll post pictures later of how it's crammed in there. Tomorrow we're taking the parts, cleaning them off a bit, and putting it back together. Getting a new oil filter, air filter, gonna clean and regrease the chain, etc. Then to get a license plate for it and the official stuff.

Dang man, that sounds like a lot of work, where did you go to get it? What part of the state are you in?

ps - You can rent a uhaul trailer for about 30 bucks or so.

Welcome Dmouse! Congrats on the good deal! :bonk:

Here is the form you need to have a police officer sign after he/she inspects the bike. http://www.michigan.gov/documents/TR-54_38480_7.pdf

Just call the local dept and tell them you need your bike inspected. They actually sent an officer to my house 10 minutes after I called! It was all pretty painless.

Post if you have any more ???

I think I forgot to mention that we put the bike in a 1995 Neon Sport.

Thanks for the link! I'll post questions as I think of them.

(edit) I have yet to get DOT-approved highway use tires before I can have the police inspect the bike. If anybody knows where I could get some that aren't too expensive but aren't crap that'd be great.

In a Neon? Now that I would like to see a picture of. Sounds like you got a pretty good buy on that bike.

Chad

My purpose for making my bike street legal is to just get from trail to trail, very little street use. Therefore I just use the knobbies that came with my bike. I had a set of TrailWings I borrowed from a friend just I case I needed to put them on for the inspection. But the officer didn't notice that the tires were not DOT approved and signed off on the bike. :bonk:

If you intend to do most of your riding on road, get a DOT approved tire, they will last longer.

Just as a side note regarding the lowering links - from the original photo, it doesn't look like the forks have been raised in the clamps to compensate for the lower rear.

Now that you've got the forks off - if you plan on keeping the links - you need to check which links they are (they look like Kuba's from the photo). They come in different lengths - if Kouba then DRZ1, DRZ2 & DRZ3 it'll be maked on the links. Each lowers the rear by different amounts.

When you put the forks back in - set them higher in the clamps by the same amount that the links lowered the rear or your handling will suffer greatly. You may need some handlebar risers to do this.

Here's a link for more info....

http://www.koubalink.com

Regards

Mark

PS - I have a street legal 'E' too - the're the fastest Z's of all :bonk: ....(well...until Eddie gets his hands'em anyway)