86 KX125 Total Renovation

In another thread, my Son had bought a 86 kx 125, so far we have the bike completely stripped down, we haven't opened the motor up, but it looks to be in decent cond. except for there is no spark, so he's buying/bidding on some parts, i.e. Igniter, coil, and tryin to find a stator for a "reasonable" price. Turns out the shock is totally shot, forks are in need of new springs and oil, there's other misc. parts we need, we also need a manual badly..anyway, we are in the process of stripping the frame of paint, he's not sure what color to do it in, he'll be putting on new plastic's, bars, sprockets, chain ect. So if any of you have parts that will fit, Please let me know, as we are looking for some spare parts too. Btw, this is his first dirt bike, so we are going to do it right.

Will get pic's if anyone wants to see em.

The stator on my 91 KX250 went out. Testing showed one of the stator coils had gone open and I was able to put one from a Yamaha 80 that we had laying around that was the same size in it, worked fine. So anyway you may find another that fits if needed. I found the sizes listed in a catalog that sold aftermarket stators. We love pictures, but I am guilty of not putting up some when I should. That should be a great first bike also! Most of all you two have fun. Ed

Check my avatarfor the pic but its all in pieces now, looks like a bad Stator, what a tough part to find without giving some blood and an appendage. Ricky Stator doesnt even have coils for an 86! :D:naughty: We'll keep searching though, so if anyone knows a friend of a cousin's uncle who has a buddy who might have a stator and/or entire ignition set up for an 86 kx125 drop my a line! it would be greatly appreciated! :bonk:

Have you considered painting the frame the original color?

Check eBay for the manual. The on that came with it is called the "Owner's Manual & Service Manual". That was from back in the good old days when they gave you both with the purchase of the bike. Of course, the bikes were a little simpler and didn't require the modern telephone book sized manual of today. :-)

Somewhere around here, I have a 1986 KX125 rear brake setup (caliper, hose, master cylinder and lever). I was going to use it for a project, but changed plans on the project.

Do you have any pictures of the shock and forks? I have done some KDX and KX fork and shock rebuilds, and I am curious to see what those look like.

I would like to see some pictures. I think some "before" and "after" pictures would be a good lesson for him on the value of taking on a long term project.

Yeah, we are painting the frame Kaw green, and makin her look pretty. Just finished strippin it down this weekend and started sanding the frame, sub, etc. Will take pics and send you some but its all in boxes right now, just ordered a new clutch cable via ebay and getting some other misc parts....:bonk: Going to the Kaw dealer today to see if I can order or locate a manual.

I'll snap some pic's of the forks, and shock in a bit, will post em up.

Thanks for y\the info..we appreciate it..:bonk:

Have you considered painting the frame the original color?

Check eBay for the manual. The on that came with it is called the "Owner's Manual & Service Manual". That was from back in the good old days when they gave you both with the purchase of the bike. Of course, the bikes were a little simpler and didn't require the modern telephone book sized manual of today. :-)

Somewhere around here, I have a 1986 KX125 rear brake setup (caliper, hose, master cylinder and lever). I was going to use it for a project, but changed plans on the project.

Do you have any pictures of the shock and forks? I have done some KDX and KX fork and shock rebuilds, and I am curious to see what those look like.

I would like to see some pictures. I think some "before" and "after" pictures would be a good lesson for him on the value of taking on a long term project.

Thanks for the pictures. Do you have the fork caps off? That shock doesn't look just like the one in the parts diagram.

Is there any chance it might not be a 1986 model? What is the tenth digit in the VIN?

You are a tough guy to use the chlorinated brake cleaner. :-)

None with the caps off. I checked the vin just to be sure, and as per Kawasaki, it is a 1986 kx125. I did see a diagram on the internet that showed that shock, but I can't recall where it was.

Haha, that stuff will clean just about anything, works good for removing paint too..:bonk:

I have two parts, 11009-1952 (Gasket that goes between water pump cover and an inlet or outlet pipe), and 92049-1052 (Oil seal that goes on left side crankcase main bearing) that I will donate if you can use them.

I also rewound a stator for my KDX200 successfully, if you have the original stator and want to gamble a few bucks, let me know- I'll take a whack at it. As long as it is not destroyed and I can measure the amount of wire that is on it now, I can use my rewinding jig.

Let me know......

Oh yeah- I've been known to rebuild a shock or two in my spare time as well....

I have new stator coils from Rick's coming in tomorrow. So we will see how that goes, prepped the frame last night and its ready for primer. I do however need to get the rear shock refreshened and sprung for my weight or I may look for another one.....(250lbs) :D But im tall at 6'5 so its not fat, i'm just big boned :bonk: ......:bonk: Thanks yamahaareone, all spares are welcome.......next is a silencer/arrestor combo but I think we will have a flange made and get the pipe cut to fit a newer FMF we have laying around, some new plastics and tires and its time to go! :naughty: