Sign in to follow this  

no silencer

the weld broke on my fmf power core 2 silencer the other day i drove my bike back to my truck and stopped riding. i was unsure if its okay to ride the bike like this, not to mention it was realllyyy loud. i went home and welded it back together, but i suck at welding and if it does break again, is it okay to ride it like this? i know 2 strokes need a certain amount of back pressure. thanks in advance!

the last thing we need is to give an exuse for people who hate bikes to hate them more.

from a "hurting your bike" or "loss of power" standpoint you won't hurt your bike, but your tuned pipe (expansion chamber + stinger + muffler) just lost some of the tuning. yes you are correct, ring tingers need back pressure in order to get full effect from the boost scavenging of the pipe, but not in the same way a four stroke needs it. the stinger on a two stroke is small and long because it acts as a constant exhaust bleed if you will, from the pulsing sound waves of exhuast between the coned sections of the pipe. by having a small diameter stinger it increases the wave density in the chamber. waves travel quicker and dont lose much amplitude in dense environments. making the expansion chamber more effective than if it was desinged to have a larger/shorter stinger. but on the other hand two strokes are so sensitive to back pressure that change in elevation can increase the need for a rejet.

...but i have faith in your weld:thumbsup:

If your weld doesn't hold, take it to a welding/metal fab shop. They'll probably have you out the door with a good repair and very little out of pocket.

what i dont understand is how do you have any back pressure with a hole going all the way through, ??

the stinger is a small diameter and length adds back pressure