Sign in to follow this  

Have a stock DRZ sm, What next?

Oh, I really could use some help!

Let me begin by saying that I have a stock DRZ400SM and it just doesn't come close to what I want in a Street motard. For a very short time I did have a Husky 510sm . In many respects it was very good. Light in weight, best of suspensions and brakes. All in all it was quite nice. I really liked it. It's flaw, other than the horrendous maint. schedule, was the fact that the damned thing had a close ratio box and it vibrated beyond belief. Now, the DRZ is low on vibration, but, it's also low on everything else. It didn't start it's life as a first class desert or motocross bike, it began as a lowly Dual sport bike with substandard everything.

I bought the bike 9 months ago knowing it's short comings. It's lots of fun. I'm glad I bought it and it's a good supplement to my liter bike on substandard roads. However, there is just no excitement there. I've waited thru the 2007 model listings to see if there would be anything new on the horizon. No such luck..I thought by now the Aprilia might be street legal in Calif. Didn't happen. I read posts of people registering them in other states, but chances are slim in Calif. Maybe next year??

Now, on the DRZ forum there are lost of posts on how to change this sows ear of a DRZ into a silk purse. Not sure I want to do that!. Where do I start and where do I end? After all it did not start it's life as anything that great. I mean, if you want to Supermoto race a Suzuki, you don't start off with a modified DRZ. You start off with a RMZ 450, a real bike and go from there..

Having said all that, can I have some advice about what to do next. I like the Honda 650 desert bike,It can be modified with wheels and stuff, but how would you register it in calif for street use? I mentioned that I had the husky 510, maybe I made a mistake and should have gotten the 650. I understand it's much more street worthy. Seems to have an engine balancer and a wide ratio box? Things the 510 didn't have. Maybe the 650 would do the job?

Finally, I could start upgrading the DRZ with carbs, exhaust, and maybe a bore kit. But, no matter what I do to it, as soon as something else becomes avail., it's gone.

cal tony - While no bike may be perfect for everything, the little DRZ is reasonably good at many tasks. Sure go ahead and get that Aprilia. You think maintaining a KTM is bad, the Aprilia is a horsepower hero with needs to match.

Anyway, I'm getting off subject. You got to ask yourself if you want the expense/hassle of upgrading the DRZ and what your primary end use will be. KTM has the 690 coming out which looks good. Or you could build up one of the moto 450's.

If your DRZ is stock, I would at least do the 3X3 mod and jet kit and possibly a pipe. Those mods would be around $500. Or for about the same money get the FCR carb only, everyone says it's the best bang for the buck. I'm considering the FCR myself. I did the 3X3 and James Dean jet kit and it was a worthwhile effort. I added a Yosh RS3 pipe later but took it off because of the noise considerations where I ride.

Just thought I would chime in here, I'm sure others will to. I hope you figure it out.

I was pretty unimpressed by the DRZ SM at first also. It does not really compare my 450 motocrosser. That being said for a 1000.00 you can get the stainless yosh RS3 and the FCR carb and it is a totaly different bike. Still not a 450 motocross bike but much much better that stock. Even opening up the endcap on the exaust and the jet kit for 70.00 makes noticable improvments. And you still have the reliability of the stock motor without all the maintaince of KTM or Aprilla or husty bikes. You will never find a bike with monster horsepower low maintaince at a low price. The DRZ with a few mods is the best compromise in my opinion.

• Like 1

My DRZ400sm has the FCR and heat wrapped F/S Scorpion (both cheap off ebay) - I orginally did DJ kit and exhaust - it was a nice change - but the exhaust and the fcr - makes it a TOTALLY different bike... It's underpowered compared to my SXC that's been motared - etc.. You will get eaten alive on the track - unless you are against OTHER drz - but for street use - the DRZ with the mods is perfect....

Consider using the 07 ktm 525exc as a benchmark - for comparsion sake. Perhaps you'll find it favorable in all, or most, regards.

:bonk:

i was worried about amount of maintence when i first got mine. But for both my buddy and his 450exc, and me and my 525exc it has been a matter of changing the oil and checking the valve (not adjusting them)

Thanks for the replys. If I keep the DRZ , I will definately go with the Yosh or Muzzy and not sure if Titanium or SS. And I definitely will go with the new carb. But, before I started spending money and time on the DRZ, I was just thinking about getting something closer to the power of the Husky 510 smr I had, but, without the close ratio box and all that vibration. I was thinking about the Husky 600 or the Ktm 600 but theyr'e even heavier than the DRZ.The KTM 560 is nice, but they didn't make it street legal this year. And I don't think that has a wide ratio box either.

So,I might wait until the fall, and see whats out thats new for 2008. Maybe a street legal Aprilia?

Problem is I want something Nowww!

Tony

remove the charcoal canister for starters thers a how to in the DRZ forums if u dont know how, FCR carb, 3x3, jet, yoshi Ti pipe, bigbore, not sure what im missin but others will fill that in