Honda EXP-2: The Return of Two Strokes?

That article was originally posted in August 96. It is not promising that we havn't heard more of it by now. I would imagine the cost of the exhaust valve, the sensors and the computer that makes it work are quite prohibitive - not to mention the fuel injection (yeah they say it can be carburated.)

I do hope they figure out a way to save the 2 stroke though.

I read this post after work and dug out some mags back to about mid 99 before I got sick of looking through them for the article. I read the article then and knew it was an older article but I can't believe its been almost 6 years. Is this what happens when you hit the early forties (losing track of time) I'd of sworn I read about that motor no more than a couple of years ago.

I also love the 2 strokes, but if even mighty HMC

can't make it work well enough for our federal gov't, we'll all have to move to another country to purchase or ride a new one legally in the near future. I read somewhere recently that the feds want to faze them out for closed course competition in the next 3-5 years.

MY SOLUTION - REBUILD AN OLD HUSKY. It'll never be worth what you put in it, if you can even find the parts. But it sure beats an Elsinore, a TM or a MX (for youngsters thats pre RM & YZ)

To satisfy the thumpertalk requirements I must add that my new 01 wr426 was a alot slower than I expected (as delivered by my dealer it was an even race with a 25 year old Husky 250 but handled better)

I found this site searching the web for mods.

On this site learned about all the good upgrades.Grey wire, throttle stop,BK carb and YZ timing. Hopefully next week I'll be telling you guys how much faster it is. At first I was hacked at myself for being brainwashed by the magazines who encouraged me to buy a Japanese 4 stroke

Husky,

Boy isn't that the truth about time slipping by. I think I'm fortunate that it was ONLY 6 years ago. Some people could accuse me of still living the 80's.

I found that article on a mountain snowmobile website, www.snowest.com, where they were debating the +'s and -'s of the new Yamaha RX-1 sled. Weight is a huge issue with sleds in the mountains, and just like the WR400, it is heavy! Loaded, it is pushing 600 lbs., about 80 lbs more than the others. That's no typo.

There's something to make our bikes a feel a little less heavy!

Sorry if I recycled old news...

Freezer

• 4 years later...

Emissions only a concern for registerable bikes.

2 strokes are not going anywhere for a long time, I even expect to see a big turn back to them. Everyone gets sick of paying high prices for regular maintenance, something a 2 stroke won't see.

I should have kept that 500.............

2 strokes pollute way to much for an engine. This is what is killing them. The fact that you are burning oil as a part of the lubrication system is retarted in this day and age. If you could run the cycle without the suck into the bottom end you would be fine. I am surprised that direct injection 2 strokes isn't catching on like I thought it would. Yamaha makes an outboard motor that runs like that. There must be some problems with the concept???

2 strokes pollute way to much for an engine. This is what is killing them. The fact that you are burning oil as a part of the lubrication system is retarted in this day and age. If you could run the cycle without the suck into the bottom end you would be fine. I am surprised that direct injection 2 strokes isn't catching on like I thought it would. Yamaha makes an outboard motor that runs like that. There must be some problems with the concept???

I think 2-strokes are the best motors out there. The only reason they are loosing is because they are forced to race against motors with WAY more displacement. Everyone says four-strokes are better, but so far I have to change the oil more often with the oil filter. I have yet to see a 250 fourstroke beat a 2 stroke of equal displacement. 2 strokes also beat fourstrokes in horsepower per litre. The only reason why I got a fourstroke is for the low end, and gas milage. On my old yz250 I could only go for a 2 hour ride before I was on E. Still I cant find anything funner than a 125 2stroke, unless its in the sand, then they suck.