07 yzf450 for a beginner? Please help.

Ok, I have a 05 yz144 and just started recently riding dirt. What I am finding as I already know is that a 125 takes a lot of shifting and balls out mentally. Two things I don't really like to do. I also weigh about 205lbs and I am 6'1" tall. I would say I am beginner because I can't jump to save my life. But in turns and riding in general I think I am ok. I have had 450 Supermoto bikes and rode those ok and found that on our 1/2 mile long go-kart track I could keep a 450/510 in one gear all around the track.

I am considering selling the yz144 and purchasing a 07 yzf450. I like the 07 yzf450 for what I have read in the mags where the yzf has a mellow/smooth power and really good suspension. Those two qualities make me very happy. I figure when or if I get better I can get a pipe and that would liven up the yzf.

So I guess my overall question is a 07 yzf450 a possible bike that I can ride and enjoy based on my experience and girth. I am also considering throwing a rekkluse pro on. Any thoughts?

If not the 07 yzf450 any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

For what I have seen from my 06 yz450f it has plenty of power and is alot easier to ride than my previous 05 yz250 2 stroke. My 450 jumps good and is real smooth. I believe you will be happy with the 07 as long as you dont ride above your head because I say it will have plenty of power and will get away from you if you dont take it easy until you get uset to it.

i can say for one that the 07 yz450 rips... and you can easily get in trouble if you ride over your head.. with that said..

if your questioning your ability(thinking you might not be able to handle it) then why not get a yz250f... in the long run it would actually help you hone your skills on the track. and i wouldnt worry about your size on a yz250f. i actually have some buddies that are over 230 and ride one...

but the 250 is just another option to think about.

josh

For your weight you are right - a 125/144 is good at full on, otherwise they are boggers. I think the 450 is a better choice and keep the 144 for when you feel adventurous and want to work hard. You will find the 450 much easier to ride fast on and without all the work. I personally do not see the need for a recluse clutch but I am use to not using my clutches much on my 450s for mx. Has anyone tried the Hinson Slipper clutch yet....curious.

for your weight and skill, i would deffenitly go with the 07 450.

I started on a yzf big bike, and i havnt regreted it yet.

the power is so controllable on the 06/07, that you can make it feel like a 250f if you want it to... but you cant make a 250f feel like a 450f...

you wont be disapointed

if i were you i would get the 450, they have alot of power and it should be a good bike for your size. and the whole learning curve thing, it is only as fast as how much you twist the throttle. so if i would get the 450 and just cruise on it for a while and then slowly start using the raw power it has to offer.

I am a beginner and I skipped straight to the 426 and love it. Plenty of "controllable" power and very easy to get air. I was in the dunes and got more air then I bargained for but I loved it at the same time. I would say you should get the 450 hands down.

The 07 450 is very smooth and very fast, so fast it can fool you. If money was not the primary concern I concur with the idea of a 250f initially until you develop more riding skills. It will carry your weight fine and the lighter weight will aid you in the handling department. After you learn how to jump and get familiar with the 4stroke then move up to the 450.

I think the 07 450 would fit you pretty well. The mags are right, its got a very smooth power band and the suspension is amazing. Its a very controllable power so you can go mellow, or flat out rip. Just dont let the word "mellow" fool you, its a scary fast bike that will get going too fast if youre not careful (I know from experience). I think you'd like it a lot though.

thanks everyone for advice/experience sharing.

I am a little torn as there is a little fear on getting a 450 and feeling overwhelmed. But I may be able to keep the yz125/144 if I can sell my DRZ400SM. So having the small bore two stroke and the 07 yzf450 would be a good mix of bikes to have.

I would guess that it is nice to be able to keep a yzf450 in one gear and just ride it by twisting the throttle.

Just saw in the new dirtridermag that LA SLeeve built a yzf400 based on a 06. They downsized the cynlinder and it made the bike much smoother to ride. So getting an 06 and down-sizing the cynlinder maybe be an option.

anyone know how much la sleeve charges for the downsizing service? and where are the killer deals on a 06? If not an 07?

I would guess that it is nice to be able to keep a yzf450 in one gear and just ride it by twisting the throttle.

You're right, and the throttle/power relationship is extraordinarily linear, compared to the two stroke. If you need a little more, you ask for a little more, and you get a little more. When you don't want more, don't ask.

Just saw in the new dirtridermag that LA SLeeve built a yzf400 based on a 06. They downsized the cynlinder and it made the bike much smoother to ride. So getting an 06 and down-sizing the cynlinder maybe be an option.
I wouldn't.

go for the 450..

The throttle works in both directions so you don't have to go flat out if you don't want to.

If you can handle the height and the weight (as you are 205 lbs ) I think you can, then the rest is just going to be about how much fun do you want to have on any particular day...

for your weight and skill, i would deffenitly go with the 07 450.

I started on a yzf big bike, and i havnt regreted it yet.

the power is so controllable on the 06/07, that you can make it feel like a 250f if you want it to... but you cant make a 250f feel like a 450f...

you wont be disapointed

Well said. At over 200lbs you would be crazy to get a 250. I weigh 205 and still wish I had more power on my yzf450 and cr450r.

Go with the 450. I weigh 200 lbs and I had a 00 KX250 2 stroke for my first bike, rode it for about a year. I rode a buddies' 450 and realized that it was easier to ride (not to mention the huge improvement in technology). On my 250, as you said, I had to wring it out but in the process it seemed to wring me out as well. On the 450 the power is everwhere whenever you want it.

As long as you appreciate what it CAN do you will be fine starting on the 450, it sounds like you have a lot more seat time than I did. Enjoy! You may find a good deal on an 06 its virtually the same bike.

i would go for the 450. i used to ride a banshee and had never rode a full size dirt bike. needless to say i was getting board of 4 wheels and decided to get rid of the banshee and bought a used kx80 for a thousand bucks. i rode it for a summer with a buddy of mine who owns a cr250. i rode the 250 and thought it was to much. then i got back on my 80 (which has a 107cc kit in it) and was amazed how much harder it is to ride a small bike. bigger bikes are heavier but they also have bigger tires which does make them easier to ride over bumps and whoops once you get your confidence up. i am 26 years old im 5'7" and 125 pounds maybe 130 with all my gear on so i know someone of your size could ride it no problem i cant even touch the ground with both feet on my 450. if it were me the yz 250 and yz 450 are both about the same price i would get the 450. same price, more power, about the same weight. just don't twist the throttle as much!