Sign in to follow this  

kx85 for my 12yr old daughter

Question: my 12 yr old daughter needs a new bike. She has outgrown the crf80 that she has. She looks pretty funny riding it. She's now about 5-1 and 105lbs, very atheletic and physically fit from years of soccer and gymnastics.

She needs a bigger bike. My wife has a ttr125 which is a good size for her, but that bike is heavy, especially when you have to pick it up. The kx85 specs show that its about the same height, is 20% lighter, etc. She doesn't need a lot of power because she just putts around the trails. She's not a beginner, but also not a racer.

I am not an expert on 2 strokes (yet). But does the powervalve on the kawasaki's allow me to tune the bike's power? I just need a mellow bike for her to ride. She probably will never race or really go very fast. So light weight, a good low end and easy starts after crashing are my main criteria.

What types of powervalves are available. How tunable is the power delivery? Is the powervalve unique to kawasaki's and suzuki's?

I'm Not Sure About The Adjustability Of The Power Valve, But You Could Always Put A Heavier Flywheel On It To Mello The "hit" Out

I would also reccomend a flywheel weight, and i think you could play around with the powervalve but im not sure. what ever you decide to to i hope she has fun!:bonk:

I think it would be a good idea to get her on one and ride it if possible. A two stroke that is. It's a world of difference when it comes to throttle management. 85's need to be reved into the power band to keep from fouling plugs every ride. My 9yr old rides an RM and plugs are an issue. When he was on the ttr125 I had no worries. good luck

the 85 would be a good bike. the 85s put out a lot of power though... around 18 hp. since its a race bike and youll be riding trails flywheel weight would probably be good, BUT it might take a lot of the power away idk. but i would get it but im too big for one. im 13 5'6 and 150. so i wanted an 85 when i was 11 and my dad said i wouldnt be able to handle it. but i knew i could, but he thought about the maintainence. so i would go for it. work on your own motor if you know how. i see tons of 85s riding trails around here in california, but then again they are always on the pipe.

You WILL NOT foul a plug if the bike is jetted correctly. A flywheel weight will make a worlds of difference and will mellow out the power alot. Maybe try a larger back sprocket also. Your daughter maybe be startled by the power at first but will soon come to love and be able to use it correctly. Good luck man!

I went thru this with my son last yr.. a suggestion from my .. get a kx 100.. the 100 is a fantastic woods bike and you dont have to be as skilled to ride it as an 85 because it has more bottom end power and you dont have to rev the hell out of it .. my son is a four stoke guy he rides with the throttle not the clutch .. this is because he has always ridden four stroke play bikes until now .. and he loves this bike it doesnt hit and jump out from under you and you dont have to shift all the time.. the 85 is a harder bike to ride .. also at her height you will def wnat the 100 or a big wheel 85 which is same height as the 100 .. do not get the yamaha or honda 85 they have no power valve and require a very skilled rider who will rev the hell out of it .. Ive had 2 honda guys buy cr 85 for their kids and they wont ride them but are always trying to ride my sons kx 100 .. have fun I didnt see where your from but if you want you can try my bike if your in rochester ny area

Yep, KX100 is a better choice. I got one for my daughter when she was 11. I put the biggest rear sprocket/smallest front sprocket on it along with a 12oz flywheel weight. It took a couple rides before she got used to it, but after that she loved the bike due to the light weight and good suspension. Whoops were a lot easier than on her CRF80.

I recently put lowering links on it, shaved the seat foam, slid the forks up in the triple clamps and my 10 year old son rides it. Same story. Easy 2 stroke for a kid to ride.