Sign in to follow this  

Lowering DRZ with spacers

Does anybody have any experience lowering the rear of a drz with spacers? Looking to lower 1". Have racetech gold valve and spring on the rear shock if it makes any difference.

From what I have read by searching I need to make a .25" spacer to lower the bike by 1". Is it easy to install if I am mechanically inclined. Any specialty tools.

Any feedback or instructions would be great.

Haven't heard of anyone lowering it with spacers. Most use lowering links, primarily Kouba lowering links. There are occasionally some for sale in the classifieds here.

The spacers go inside the shock and forks to reduce the travel. If you are comfortable with taking shocks and forks apart, it is not that hard. I do not know of any "kits" to do this. It is usually custom work done by a suspension shop. The front requires custom springs or shortening the stock springs. The stock length rear spring is OK as there is a lot of adjustment

Yeaup. Go with the Kouba links. Installed the #2's on my girlfriends SM & it did 2 things to improve the bike, - 1) it tipped into the corners better & 2) it made it more stable @ high speeds. For the fork, Just pulled the tubes up till they hit the bars (3/4in) . This is no bullshit. It works . Both my girlfriend & I feel the difference. She's actually a pretty darn good rider too.

Koubalinks are cool... :worthy:

drz400020-1.jpg

Dropped the rear 1 1/4 inches and raised the handlebars to be able to slide up the forks to drop the front to match the rear...

drz400021.jpg

Man... a lowered bike really handles the canyon roads. :thumbsup:

Greg

I left everything stock and bought a Suzuki gel seat which will lower your seat height by 1 inch

Frank

Does anybody have any experience lowering the rear of a drz with spacers? Looking to lower 1". Have racetech gold valve and spring on the rear shock if it makes any difference.

From what I have read by searching I need to make a .25" spacer to lower the bike by 1". Is it easy to install if I am mechanically inclined. Any specialty tools.

Any feedback or instructions would be great.

Yes that is around the right size, as Noble says if you are comfortable taking the shock apart, it just a case of finding something to use as a spacer.

For the front forks, just use plastic drain pipe, it is only under any load when the bike is on a stand, wheels of the ground.

Eddie will have the correct size spacer for the rear, either wait for him to chip in, or PM him.

Neil. :thumbsup::worthy::ride:

PS: For all the people who have said "Kouba Links", you have either never used them, or way less than about 140lb.

Yes that is around the right size, as Noble says if you are comfortable taking the shock apart, it just a case of finding something to use as a spacer.

For the front forks, just use plastic drain pipe, it is only under any load when the bike is on a stand, wheels of the ground.

Eddie will have the correct size spacer for the rear, either wait for him to chip in, or PM him.

Neil. :thumbsup::worthy::ride:

PS: For all the people who have said "Kouba Links", you have either never used them, or way less than about 140lb.

More to the point, those that have said Lowing links, have most likely never tried it the better way.. I had a Kouba link. I've recommended them to a lot of folks, and I still have one on my wife’s CRF230.. I recently had lowering spacers installed while I was having some suspension work done. It's not that lowering links do not work, it's just that until you try it a better way, you'll never know how bad they work.

Installing the spacers is not hard. As long as you are capable of servicing the suspension bits otherwise. I had them installed, only because John Curra was in there anyway doing some other custom valving for me. Lowing links are a compromise at best. They are not a solution. They serve a purpose for sure.. But if your looking for a correctly set up suspension that works to the best of it's ability..skip the links, go with internal spacers for the rear, and add some shorter springs and spacers for the front.

EDIT: My observations above are for off-road bikes. If the first poster is talking about a SM bike, then, well, maybe links. I personally would still go with internal spacers so as to not effect the leverage and speed of the suspension action. It really does make setup difficult and a compromise.

Hi Neil, :ride:

You're right... they only do their best within certain limited parameters. I'm about 130, and lowering the whole bike is hands down the best mod to date.:thumbsup:

I also don't do any dirt or stunt riding, and simply use the bike as a daily transportation vehicle. So within those conditions... the links perform far better than I ever expected them to...

...especially when cornering on winding canyon asphalt.:worthy:

Take Care,

Greg

Hi Neil, :lol:

I'm about 130,

Time you started to grow, eat some pie's man :ride:

But at your weight, and on the road they are probably good enough :thumbsup:

Well good enough untill you try lowering properly, with spacers in the shock, then you will be shocked :p

At how much better it is.

As Bronco pointed out, the links screw with the whole system, spring and damping rates.

Neil. :worthy::ride: :ride:

Thanks for the replies, I am not going to use kouba links though.

I have taken apart the forks before, but I am going to raise them up on the clamps to match the rear.

Does anyone know where I can find a diagram of where to add the rear spacer in the shock?

Thanks for the replies, I am not going to use kouba links though.

I have taken apart the forks before, but I am going to raise them up on the clamps to match the rear.

Does anyone know where I can find a diagram of where to add the rear spacer in the shock?

Do you have the special tools needed to disassemble a shock and access to a facility to recharge the nitrogen? If not, you would be better off to simply send or take it to a suspension shop.

Do you have the special tools needed to disassemble a shock and access to a facility to recharge the nitrogen? If not, you would be better off to simply send or take it to a suspension shop.

No special tools are required to disassemble and re assemble a Showa shock like the one on a DRZ. Basic, common tools used in motorcycle or auto repair. Yes you will need to take it to a shop to have the Nitrogen charge put in.. But it's only a few $$ for that.

Here is a good write up that shows how easy it can be. The "special' tools mentioned in this write up are easily replaced with the fingers you will find on both your left and right hands. :thumbsup: The "special" tools make it a bit easier and quicker, but are not required.

• Like 1

Thanks for that link bronco. Thats exactly what I needed. I'm sure it will benefit others as well. I know there are safety concerns with rear shocks but if I wanted to pay someone else to do it I would have. This is a learning project and if I can't do it then I'll pay to have it finished. Not a big deal but I need to try first.

Time you started to grow, eat some pie's man :worthy:

No way, man...

It would ruin a really good power to weight ratio.

Even just a stock bike with a small rider can accelerate and brake as quickly as a modded bike with a larger rider.:thumbsup:

Greg

UPDATE: I have the shock dissassembled with the valving still intact. It was my first time doing this and very easy so far. 1 flathead screwdriver, a wrench and a hammer is all that is needed to take the majority of it apart.

Now for the spacer: I'm having trouble wondering where it would go. I think I need to grind the nut off and remove the valve stack. And assuming place a spacer in between the valve stack and top out bump stop? Anybody have input on this?

Thanks

Nope, you have it right. Remember there is a linkage involved so the space rneeds to be shorter than the amount you want to lower it. On my SM, this worked out to about 11mm spacer lowered the bike about 1.25".

You could also try putting 12 inch rims on the bike! that would lower your SM about 5 inches!! :thumbsup: If it didn't handle quite right you could just sell the bike to a circus midget! :worthy: Just having fun with you guys, I am a circus midget! My 30 inch inseam only give me tiptoe on each foot, sucks sometimes.