Sign in to follow this  

Talk me into getting a ktm 450 xcw!

Hey,

I haven't dirtbiked in the last two years since I've been finishing up my college degree but I'm done in a few more weeks so I'm looking at bikes again.

I used to own a 2001 yz250f and a 1997 kdx220 prior to that. I rode 95% woods. Our trials are a good mix of tight stuff and open stuff with some big hills. I live in the interior of British Columbia. For the most part, I loved my 250f. I didn't like the suspension for tighter woods (obviously, I never had it revalved) and I hated it for climbing tight hills where you couldnt keep your momentum up.

I had a chance to go riding a few weeks ago on a borrowed 2006 ktm 300 xcw. It was a nice bike but definately not for me. During that day, I had a chance to ride a 2005 ktm 450 and I loved it! I was honestly at least 1.5 times faster as soon as I jumped on that bike compared to the 300. It was really amazing. I loved the way the 450 climbed hills. It did feel a bit heavy but the heavy feeling was more of a planted feeling than anything.

I'm a pretty small guy, 5'9 and about 160 lbs so I'm thinking that maybe I should be looking at the new 250 instead. I don't ever plan on racing, I just ride for fun so I don't think a 450 would be too much bike or anything. I probably would be faster on the 250 though. I would probably have more fun riding the 450.

Anyways, if you guys could throw down some opinions that would be great.

Thanks

Get the 525. I got the 450 and it needs help in the motor area. It is a little guttless.:thumbsup:

Get the 525. I got the 450 and it needs help in the motor area. It is a little guttless.:thumbsup:

You live in New Mexico, he might not live in a desert.

Get the 525, weighs the same and has much more low end. I live in the South East. The 400, 450, and 525 weigh the same. Short shift the 525 and it is much easier to handle than reving one of the smaller bore versions. I also add the +12oz Trail Tech flywheel.

DR

Everybody always say's 525 over a 450 I guess I must ride different terrain than you guys but I never would say the 450 doesnt have enough power, I mean I can't think of one pro offroad rider riding a 525 but several ride 450's if it has enough power for them it probably has enough for anybody. If I was going after a desert machine or a dual sport I would choose the 525. I guess it all comes down to your own riding style, go to a KTM demo day and ride them back to back.

Everybody always say's 525 over a 450 I guess I must ride different terrain than you guys but I never would say the 450 doesnt have enough power, I mean I can't think of one pro offroad rider riding a 525 but several ride 450's if it has enough power for them it probably has enough for anybody. If I was going after a desert machine or a dual sport I would choose the 525. I guess it all comes down to your own riding style, go to a KTM demo day and ride them back to back.

David Knights primary ride is a 525 XCW, and he's not too bad!!!

For people to say the 450 is guttless though is still pretty rediculous, they have plenty of power.

I would never get a 525. I hardly used the power that the 450 had to offer.

I would never get a 525. I hardly used the power that the 450 had to offer.

Nobody said the 450 didn't have enough power. BUT, you have to rev it harder to get it there. So does the 400. Thus more flywheel gyroscopic effect than the 525 revving at a much lower rpm. The 525 has a lot more TORQUE. Who cares that it has 53hp. over the 450's 48hp. I would ride the 525 if it only had 45hp but with more low end.

Dwight

Nobody said the 450 didn't have enough power. BUT, you have to rev it harder to get it there. So does the 400. Thus more flywheel gyroscopic effect than the 525 revving at a much lower rpm. The 525 has a lot more TORQUE. Who cares that it has 53hp. over the 450's 48hp. I would ride the 525 if it only had 45hp but with more low end.

Dwight

The 525 does sound like the bike to have for Baja but I would be a little concerned about fuel. I'd rather not have to put a 6 gal tank on it. I have no experience with the 525 other than watching my buddy run out of gas with a 3.5 gal tank between San Felipe and Gonzaga. Any thoughts?

Typically the 525 gets no worse milage than the smaller bikes and sometimes better.

Rejet with the JD jet kit.

Dwight

David Knights primary ride is a 525 XCW, and he's not too bad!!!

For people to say the 450 is guttless though is still pretty rediculous, they have plenty of power.

That's funny every picture or video I have seen him in he is riding a two stroke, he's not riding a 525 in GNCC is he?

That's funny every picture or video I have seen him in he is riding a two stroke, he's not riding a 525 in GNCC is he?

I remember him quoting at the Red Bull Last Man standing this year, that his primary race bike is the 525. I figure it does not get any closer to the horses mouth than that. However at that race he chose to ride the 300EXC, who knows why?

Patrick Garrahan raced a 525 at the Quicksilver and placed top 5. In conditions were a 2 stroke may have been a superior choice.

David Knight races a 525 in FIM world enduro, there's one. In fact a lot of top offroad pros riding for KTM race 525's at selected races, they just don't always announce it. I personally race the 450xc in desert and weigh 190lbs, it works really good. I do have a few performance mods though.

I remember him quoting at the Red Bull Last Man standing this year, that his primary race bike is the 525. I figure it does not get any closer to the horses mouth than that. However at that race he chose to ride the 300EXC, who knows why?

All the Red Bull riders who rode KTM 2 strokes said they chose the bike for that race because the trail would be brutal and they wanted to go with the lightest bike they could ride.

After all is said and done the best bike is the one your on...

Go to the ktmworld web site. They are in Georgia and they did a test with a group of riders all with different experience levels. They rode their personal bikes then the new 2007 KTM's. They rode 2 & 4 strokes all day on the same course and the results are amazing.

www.ktmworld.com is the site. Here is the article http://www.ktmworld.com/view_news_article.asp?id=16

If the the 450 is what you want, get it. Don't let others talk you into getting something that you haven't even ridden. And the power issue shouldn't be a problem for you, I weigh 225 lbs. and a 450 has more than enough power to lug me around. Hope you have fun with your new bike!!! KTM's are the way to go!!!

It's the rider not the bike.....You could put Knight on 125 Hodaka and give me a 1 hour head start and he would still run me down!

If I lived were deep sand was an issue I would be riding a 525. I am the only one in my group that rides a 450 the rest ride a 525. I have not seen where the 525 is all that and a pizza. What I can testify to is the 525 getting some rides in more trouble then the smaller bore bikes, again it's the rider.

But there are some South Eastern Enduro guys that jumped on the 250.

Your call...

I'll be the maverick......

I'd go 400. I went with the 400 XCW and I plan on dual sporting it.

I was in the same place as you, basically riding the same stuff, and trying to decide on which KTM to get. There's tons of peer pressure to get the 525 because "bigger is better" and it's a "man's bike", but in the end, you have to ask yourself what bike really fits you, your riding style/skill, and what you're after in terms of "feel" of the bike.

IMHO, the 400 is the best of all worlds, and everyone that has them seems to swear by them. It's the lightest "feeling" of the KTM 4strokes, strong linear power, and the price is right. If you find you want more power down the road, the Travis 453 kit can be had for $450 USD, which gives the bike more power than the 450, and is stock reliable.

Lafferty races the 400. Read the link jayp1203 provided too, it opened my eyes as to the reality of power and weight.

Waxy