Sign in to follow this  

Even XR's need oil

I'm an old man. Older than my son and his friends. I've got a couple of xr's that I have tore into a couple of times. My son's friends look to me to help with their xr's. Why? Because I'm old and work for beer.

So I get a call today that I have been expecting. "Bob can you help me with my bike?" "Yeah bring it over". You see, I have been waiting cause we got a baja ride coming up in a couple of weeks and Kevin injured his bike.

How bad did he hurt it?

He unloads it and gives me the story. He was 350 miles into an all day baja ride, about 12 miles from the border, at about midnight. Seems he was doing about 80mph. Seems he was doing this for about 15 minutes. Smoke. Then cough... then darkness and some grinding noise.

This doesnt sound good to me. But what the hell do I know. I'm old.

We start tearing into it. When I say we, I mean me. Well it kicks through even though Kevin said it was seized. Said he tried to kick it over for a couple of weeks. That was the extent of his investigation. I was curious. So I pulled the plug.

bbday080.jpg

Not a good sign.

Off comes the seat, tank, carb, head cover and then I decide to drain the oil.

Wow. It seems someone beat me to it....

And then comes the money shot-

bbday075.jpg

bbday085.jpg

My guess is the lights on the bike went out because it lost some compression?

Good news is that Kevin's bike has applied triple clamps which will fit nicely on my xr. Can't always work for beer!

Now those pics are keepers.

Well.. Got any pics of the head? Wouldn't mind seeing if any of that beat up did a number on his head.

Not to mention, how did he lose all of his oil?

to quote Adam form Myth Busters, "Now there's your problem!!"

wow. a picture is worth a thousand words!!!

this is a good reminder to all the youngin's to check ur oil before every ride, and especially any long ride, and especially if ur in another country, and especially if ur on a long ride in another country in the dark!:worthy::thumbsup:

Same thing happened to mine. Valve seals were going and I decided to push it without checking my oil...

Well I learned a big lesson out of pocket. Piston, Sleve, 2 exhaust valves, gasket kits, and some good old bonding with my dad

to quote Adam form Myth Busters, "Now there's your problem!!"

wow. a picture is worth a thousand words!!!

this is a good reminder to all the youngin's to check ur oil before every ride, and especially any long ride, and especially if ur in another country, and especially if ur on a long ride in another country in the dark!:worthy::thumbsup:

ROGER THAT!!

Great pics...er...kinda, glad it wasn't your bike!

That WAS the piston. At first I was going to say it needs a top end rebuild (duh!) but with all the hunks of metal that must now be in the case, well... flip a coin? Heads = complete rebuild (if he really really loves the bike), or tails = sell for parts & scrap? Get those triple clamps off it quick!